Options

Thoughts on Tauck's Spain Tours -- and best Season to go

edited July 2023 in General Discussion

We have 3 Tauck trips booked through Sept. 2024. After that - we will have seen so much of Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy -- that I am ready to move on to Spain for our next booking. My dad spent 28 yrs in the Navy & his 2 favorite European cities were Florence & Barcelona - he died last year and now I really want to see Barcelona for him.

I did read through some of the reviews and questions in the Spain section and we are having a tough time deciding on which tour to take. Would love suggestions if you've been on one that you recommend and the time of year you recommend - we always avoid the heat of the Summer.

To be honest, we are highly considering the Rick Steves BEST OF SPAIN 14 DAY TOUR over Tauck. We have taken a few RS tours and while the hotels are more 3-4 star, the TD/TG and what we see and learn and the surprises along the way are JUST AS GOOD (if not better) than Tauck. While I LOVE the luxury of Tauck, we want to experience Spain the best way we can. France will be next for us after Spain.

Please let me know if you've been on a Tauck Spain tour you loved and recommend.

Comments

• Options

Terrilynn, we've only done the Douro plus Lisbon and Madrid - with our own add on days in Barcelona - so my experience is somewhat limited. We did enjoy Barcelona and Salamanca. Madrid felt very grand but maybe that's because the Tauck hotel is near lots of grand museums and such. There's a lot to see in Barcelona and we enjoyed the smaller town feel of Salamanca. We had considered day trips to either Toledo or Segovia but didn't quite make it. From what I've read they are more like Salamanca than Madrid The RS itinerary looks very good and since you've done their tours you know what to expect. The cost of living in Spain is pretty affordable compared to much of Europe so finding places to eat should be fairly easy. I would add a couple of days more in Barcelona if you can swing it.

We were there at the beginning of November and the weather in Spain was great then. Not too hot and no rain.

• Options

We have taken the Spain and Portugal, The Paradors of Northern Spain (now renamed) and the Douro cruise. When younger, we traveled extensively throughout Spain and to a lesser extent, Portugal. They are amazing countries with a rich history with the three major religions living in harmony for centuries. The people are fiercely proud and very friendly, especially when greeted with a few words in their native tongue.

Packaged tours are just that, but I think Tauck does a very good job of introducing their guests to the unique culture, history, foods, et al of each country. And, in my opinion, the small group land tours offer a more immersive experience.

For a first time visit, I recommend the Spain and Portugal tour with pre and post days if you can. Either spring or fall would be ideal, my preference being late Sep/early Oct.

• Options

Kfn… I love the Spain and Portugal one, but it doesn’t include Barcelona which is the main reason I want to do Spain- I guess we could try and do Barcelona on our own.

• Options

We’ve taken the RS Best of Spain tour as well as the Tauck Northern Spain tour, where we ended with COVID. I’ve posted a review. Best of Spain was among our top three RS tours (we’ve done 11). The hotels were adequate and in some cases better than expected, especially Sevilla and Barcelona, but certainly not as opulent as with Tauck. The cultural aspects beat Tauck by a mile just comparing the two. On the Tauck tour, honestly, if I was not well versed in Spanish history I would not have known there was a civil war. We stayed in a Parador where a significant massacre occurred during the war, within a few hundred yards, and it was not even mentioned. We spent time in the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, a do not miss sight where we spent a long time on our RS tour, but had no additional free time to climb a tower or visit the adjacent museum. (We had to get back for another typical Tauck 2 hour lunch). On the RS tour we were really immersed in the culture and history. We even took a detour to visit a fascist bar where they sold all things Franco (in case you thought he was universally scorned). We had lunch in a family’s home, danced in the street, enjoyed Toledo at night when the day trippers were gone. But, we did schlep our own luggage, had to taxi to and from the airport. The group meals were good to very good as opposed to Tauck where they were very good to excellent. We spent much less time dining on the RS tour and much more time seeing Spain. But, we are getting older and Tauck was a vacation from handling bags, arranging transport, group meals with, in some cases, limited choices. Overall, we enjoyed our RS tours more than Tauck but having done just one we have booked two Tauck tours for 2024. If we come away with the same feelings we did on our one and only Tauck tour, those will be our last.

• Options

As for seasons-if you take RS you will spend significant time in Andalusia and the White Towns. It gets hot so spring or fall are best.

• Options
    edited July 2023

Folsomdoc- I read your review and left you a comment.
    And we agree about the LONG lunches and meals with Tauck. On our most recent Xmas market river cruise in December - we spent more time eating lunch in fancy hotels (that weren’t good) than we did exploring the Xmas markets and towns (esp in Vienna & Salzburg). We had done the same Xmas market cruise in 2015 and that was not the case- I’m not sure why they changed the itinerary- but we much preferred our 2015 tour over our 2022 tour.

• Options
    edited July 2023

My observation on our many Tauck tours is that the majority of travelers are not interested in history or culture. Many times, when we are being told about these subjects on the bus rides, there are people who talk talk talk while I am trying to listen to the TD or local guide. This is even more annoying when the TD gives information and then minutes later people ask a questions about something that has just been addressed. I have noticed that because of my observations Tauck talks far less about history and culture than it used to, I’ve taken a few tours or visited the places more than once and notice this change. There are people who just want to say they have checked off a place on their bucket list or finding the hotels and food the most important part of a tour…in fact, every time I read people asking about restaurants here on the forum, I personally can’t understand it, we feel overstuffed with food on a Tauck tour and often just get a snack when we have to find a meal on our own. I also don’t care for the long lunches. Often, it’s obvious those lunches are long so that we can check into a hotel straight away at the next destination. It often is timing related. In Europe the bus drivers must also have mandatory breaks of a certain length and one reason I don’t understand it when it is mentioned that rest stops are quicker on Small group tours.
    Despite our loyalty to Tauck, we now also travel with another company that stays in more modest hotels, the tours are longer and more thorough. We use them to go to places that Tauck do not go to or Tauck does not stay long enough for what there is to see in a place. There is virtually no free time, which we like. We don’t have to carry our own bags or find our own transport to and from the airport.
    I do feel the most secure traveling with Tauck, though I have been totally disappointed with their Covid responses when we have had to sign Covid pledges that are not followed. Of course this will all be gone next year, we will be traveling with all those Tauck people who could not travel without vaccination.
    We are noticing that the most well traveled people we are meeting travel with many companies depending where and when they want to go, what they prioritize. It does not have anything to do with cost.
    Anyway, we have booked the Northern Spain, Rioja Valley and Madrid tour for next year.

• Options
    edited July 2023

Terrilynn - Were the long meals in fancy hotels mandatory? You probably could have arranged to get a PBJ to go and get back to the markets and rejoined the tour after they had finished their leisurely lunch.

We did the 2014 version of the Portugal and Spain tour in May and loved it. The weather was wonderful. That said we did have some meals in fancy hotels and restaurants.

I think it's likely that you will enjoy the RS Spain tour vs the Tauck tour.

• Options

Terrilyn, I also think the RS tour would be the better option, you are a sensible packer and will be able to cope with carrying bags and you are still young, go for it!

• Options

Terrilynn, our Barcelona add on was very easy to do. I think I detailed most of it in my review for that tour but can answer questions if anything isn't clear.

• Options

Terrilyn - we have taken both of the Tauck 14 day Spain tours and absolutely loved each of them. We took the N. Spain tour in 2015 - it starts in Barcelona, so it is easy to add on days at the beginning of the trip. The itinerary has changed, in that the tour now concludes in Madrid rather than Lisbon.

We took the Spain/Portugal tour two years later. It commenced in Lisbon and ended in Madrid.

We took both tours in September and the weather was good. Food is very much a part of Spanish culture, and we enjoyed it (and the wine). I do not recall too many unreasonably long lunches. The hotels were great and very well located. The Maria Cristina in San Sebastián is one of my all time favorites. I also remember learning a lot about Spanish history, including the Spanish Civil War.

I think that Tauck may be getting more responsive to the long lunch criticism. On our recent Germany trip, we had two days (and it may have been three) in which the TD passed out 20 Euros each for what was called a scatter lunch, so we could do our own thing and have more independent time. I liked that approach. I can only recall two lunches during which I was getting antsy - and we simply finished up, skipped dessert and headed out to explore. As for dinners, we had quite a few in which we could eat when we wanted to and with 2 or 4, so we could finish up quickly and walk after dinner.

The Spain trips are among the most memorable and favorites of our Tauck tours.

• Options

Personally, I found Barcelona to be my least favorite city in Spain primarily due to the carnival-like (both literally and figuratively) atmosphere along Las Ramblas. However, it does offer a unique experience. There is a nice market where you can purchase a bite to eat and people watch. If you are a fan of Gaudi's gaudy (pun intended) architectural style, you will certainly enjoy his church and whimsical park.

There are many other districts that offer less crowds, such as the Gracia area with its central plaza, museums, quaint shops and Catalan cuisine. An easy day trip is to the Monserrat mountain range and the monastery housing a black Madonna. I do not know if Tauck still goes there on their northern Spain tour.

• Options
    edited July 2023

Las Ramblas is to Barcelona as Times Square is to New York. We avoid it as much as possible as it’s become a favorite stomping grounds for pickpockets. Barcelona is chockablock with interesting neighborhoods, tapas bars and cafes, museums such as a do not miss Picasso Museum consisting of almost exclusively early works. Modernist architecture, such as Gaudi, can be jarring but the Sagrada Familia is a spectacular example. Just a few blocks away a much less visited site (we have had it to ourselves several times) is the Hospital San Pau, a working hospital until 2009. Absolutely stunning. We’ve probably spent collectively a month in Barcelona and it is one of our favorite cities in Europe. We’ve used it to end and begin trips some of which did not involve Spain given the easy connections. We plan to return.

• Options

Las Rambles is certainly a place to be careful but we stayed in a hotel there for 3 nights coming and going on our sightseeing excursions, grocery shopping, dining, etc with no problems. I even had a total stranger help with my bag on the metro stairs - and no he wasn't a thief. We had a bit of noise the last night. That's it. Yes it's touristy but so are areas of Amsterdam, Paris, Edinburgh, etc. Still worthseeing.

Gaudy's work is unique and I regret not seeing more. Before touring it I thought the Sagrada looked a bit like a bad sand castle. But as soon as we started the tour and the audio guide explained what I was seeing and all the minute details easily overlooked I was hooked on it. So much biblical symbolism. Then we went inside and I was stunned by how light, airy and graceful it is. We've been privileged to tour many lovely cathedrals and basilicas in Europe but this one is my favorite. My only caution is timing as the current completion date is 2026 the anniversary of Gaudy's death.

Terrilynn, I hope you find the right tour for you.

• Options

My husband and I took Tauck's Northern Spain tour in May 2022. The weather was perfect, so it would be hard to recommend a different time of year. We've never taken a Rick Steves tour, so I can't do a direct comparison. My husband and I are both late-60's, so I admit we're spoiled for the extra service and luxury that a tour like Tauck provides. This was our fourth Tauck trip.

I chose the Northern Spain tour because I had seen some of southern Spain (Granada, Seville, etc.) as a 20-something. Also, we enjoy cruising, so I can imagine us hitting that area on a cruise one of these days.

As to the Northern Spain tour, we both did enjoy it, although I will say it was not the most exciting trip we've ever taken. Fairly low-key, a fair amount of time on motor coaches, with a couple of the stops being under-whelming. That said, Barcelona and Madrid were both enjoyable. In Barcelona, I recommend seeing the Palau de la Musica as well as Sagrada Familia. Also, a stroll down Las Rablas allows for a stop at La Boqueria, which is a fabulous market. In Madrid, we enjoyed the tapas tour, especially the Gambas al Ajillo! Other highlights were the Guggenheim Bilbao (where we would have liked more time) and Rioja's Hotel Marques de Riscal (which had a great winery tour and tasting), both Frank Gehry jewels. The visit to Andorra was interesting too, as I confess we didn't know that little principality even existed until this tour.

My husband and I are not history buffs, but don't feel there was a shortage of historical information provided. One thing to note is that the tour follows much of the pilgrimage Way of Santiago, so that was emphasized.

Finally, yes, there was food, and lots of it. We didn't particularly have a problem with the amount of time spent dining, as neither of us is adverse to relaxing with a glass of wine and good fare. However, we both felt many of the lunches were just too heavy given the food provided at breakfast and dinner.

Overall, a very good, but not top-10, trip.