Options

Which side of ms Savor for eastbound Prague to Budapest?

Everyone's advice is so valuable on this forum. We are considering the eastbound Blue Danube - Prague to Budapest in June 2024 on the ms Savor. For those who have been, is there a "preferred" side of the ship going eastbound? Is there much rafting along the way? Hubbie wants to "blow the budget" on a Cat 7 suite. No complaints from me! lol

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2023

For most of the viewing you are not likely to be in your room, so personally I don’t think it matters

• Options
    edited June 2023

I have not taken this riverboat trip but can advise that for most of the viewing on any river tour, the best views are seen from the lounge area and top deck (weather permitting).

The choice of cabin depends on many personal factors. For us it is comfort and the ability to move freely around the room (my husband has some mobility issues.) We sometimes just wish to be alone and enjoy a glass of wine while relaxing in our room. The category 7 walk-in closet is also a plus since every personal item is stored all in one place and within easy reach. We also like to have breakfast in our room now and then while planning for the day ahead. The room service really is beneficial on the final morning when everyone is hurrying to get to breakfast before disembarking.

No matter what you decide, have a wonderful time and please report back after your trip. Enjoy.

• Options

Brenda, my husband and I are going on this trip next week. We are going West to East. I will answer any questions after we return July 8th. We have each booked a Cat 1 cabin.

• Options

Choc, so glad to hear hubbie is back traveling with you! Very innovative on the booking! I really look forward to your perspective on this itinerary, after traveling with you in France.
    B

• Options
    edited June 2023

First, except for a few occasions, you will be sleeping when the boat moves and there is not much to see other than a few (often very few) lights in the darkness. As to when docked during the daytime- regardless of direction of travel, the boat ALWAYS turns if needed, so the bow (front) faces upstream (into the current) when tied up. So, regardless of cruise direction, the boat will have its right (starboard) side against the quay or shore in most, but not all cities on the Danube. Look at Google to see which side of the river the town is located.

• Options

By rafting do you mean tied up parallel with other ships? If so yes. I saw more of that on the Danube than any other river. Its a very popular river for cruising.

• Options

Claudia, yes, that's the term I was referring to. Looks like it doesn't really matter which side of the ship. We do like to relax in our room at times. AlanS, thank you for the clarification. Booking now!!

• Options

We had a loft cabin on the Savor, and I don’t think it mattered which side of the ship you are on. We did most of our viewing from the ‘roof’ or the lounge, but the loft is a nice place for coffee or wine if you are not parked next to another ship.

• Options

Brenda, we did this trip several years ago and splurged on a Category 7 room and it was marvelous. We didn’t spend that much time in the room as we were busy every minute of the day, but it was a real respite to have all that space when we were in the room. The closet is huge and the bathroom is a decent size.
    This is a great trip. I wish we’d stayed longer in both Prague and Budapest- there’s so much to see.

• Options

Update - We're booked! Cat 7 Diamond Deck. Thanks, everyone, for the insights.

• Options

Enjoy! I haven't been a guest on the ms Savor, but I think you will thoroughly enjoy your cabin.

• Options

We returned from this trip a week ago. It was fabulous. Brenda, there is a lot of rafting. In Vienna, we counted over 30 river boats docked along the banks, usually 3 deep. Our weather was great. No rain . Our tour directors were top notch and the crew on the ms Savor were so pleasant and efficient. The food was also top notch. This was our 12th tour and third river cruise. We each had a Cat 1 cabin. This arrangement worked great for us. Our pre and post hotels were also lovely and centrally located walking distance to many things. My husband has some difficulty with walking and especially stairs. The TDS and city guides always found us an elevator. There were several areas of cobblestones. This gave him the biggest challenge. We only had 66 on the ship so everyone met everyone and our city tours only had about 11 or 12 in each group. There were also daily bike rides that many did. We flew Lufthansa direct from Orlando to Frankfurt and then on to Budapest. We had assistants for my husband and we couldn’t been better taken care of. I felt that we had an A+ trip.

• Options

Thanks, Choc for your reassuring review of this adventure! Nice to know Tauck could accommodate everything challenging for you. We are looking forward to this cruise next year. First up, though, is Bellissima Northern Italy in September!

• Options

You will love Category 7. The walk-in closet is great! We did this category cabin from Amsterdam to Basel on the Rhine Enchantment. We were on the starboard side and never had an issue with views. But it depends on the docking side of the River, so not sure for The Blue Danube. That being said, seldom did we spend much time in our cabin viewing from the large windows and French balcony. We were in the lounge, up on the Sun deck or in Arthur’s if we were on the ship during the day. We are doing the Blue Danube in October of this year. We are in a Category 5 and on the port side. That was what was available when we booked. I may have some more input after the trip.

• Options

We were on the Blue Danube in June/July. It doesn’t matter which side of the ship because you are rarely in your cabin. Also, when we were docked we had other ships moored along both sides quite often. It is a very popular itinerary and there were many ships.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file