Options

Let's talk hair

Ok, so looking at my packing and I am trying to "do the right thing" but it is hard. Can I count on decent/normal hair dryers at the hotels used by Tauck? What I mean by normal is not one of those hairdryers that is permanently adhered to the bathroom wall. Will it be a separate blow dryer that I can plug into a regular outlet and use away from the bathroom? If so, I'll leave my travel dryer at home.

Also, can I safely not bring shampoo and conditioner? I am assuming so, so I would have not started a separate thread to ask. Already have this post so what the heck. :)

Comments

• Options

I suggest leaving your hair dryer, shampoo and conditioner at home. Every Tauck European hotel that I have visited supplies those items. I can't guarantee, however, that your main room will have an outlet with a mirror nearby. I sometimes bring a small amount of my own styling product.

• Options

You do not need a hairdryer. Plus, it takes up a good amount of significant space in your suitcase. I do take along my own shampoo and conditioner in travel size containers.

• Options

All the hotels we stayed at there in June had separate hair dryers usually stored in the closet. For safety reasons the outlets are not in the bathroom. A quirk of the UK.

Shampoo, conditioner, body wash and lotion were in large refillable containers. Only bring your own if you need a particular kind.

• Options

I am not picky about shampoo and conditioner, though yes I will bring styling products.

From your responses, I will brave it and leave the travel blow dryer at home. :P Hopefully I'll figure out the outlet/mirror situation. Just in case, I was thinking of testing out using the iPad camera and making it a "mirror". I recall my daughter had a friend who used her laptop to put on her makeup instead of a mirror. Very portable to boot.

• Options

Another tip Sherill, is to go to the websites for the hotels you are staying at and look to see if they mention hairdryers. That will not guarantee the type of hairdryer or whether it works. On my last Tauck tour, the hairdryer was broken, we called the front desk and it was replaced with a fancy new one. Having said that, it was not one of Tauck’s best hotels which we knew in advance.

• Options

Sherrill, I don't remember having any problems finding a place to dry my hair on this tour. I have had some interesting experiences on other tours. They do make some very nice lightweight lighted travel mirrors now. Check out Amazon. I always bring a small folding mirror now with regular and magnified sides mostly to put on eye makeup.

• Options

@Claudia Sails Thanks, maybe I'll add a small mirror. I think I already own one. What I now need to research, is my waterpik. I currently have invisalign my cordless waterpik is my life saver.

• Options

I have another tip, get a short haircut, I finally did that a few months ago and it’s great for travel. I take a tiny travel magnifying mirror but have to admit it’s pretty useless, so when I do put makeup on and can’t see in the dimly lit bathrooms, I just ditch the mascara, who really cares.
    In British hotels, I dry my hair a bit, then keep running to the mirror to check it’s going ok, run back, do the same again until dry 😂😂😂 Then go outside to site see with my hat on 😂😂😂😂

• Options

Leave your hair dryer at home. Every hotel on the Week in Scotland trip provided hair dryers, but remember to bring an adapter for any shavers, curling irons, etc.

• Options

Remember, adapters only work on dual voltage appliances so unless your shaver or curling iron is made for international travel, leave it at home. If you really have to have one head down to Sauchiehall st near the hotel and buy one.

• Options

@British, my hair is fairly short, and about as short as my face will allow. But I can semi pony tail in a desperation move. Makeup is becoming more minimal as I age. If just doesn't look the same. Hmm I wonder why. :P

@minnivere52 we are addressing adapters now. Hubby is getting a single adapter with multiple outputs (regular, usb a and usb c). I am considering an extension cord with the multiple outputs and use one of our piles of adapters we have purchased in the past.

• Options

A multi-adapter is great, many of us use them. But, be aware, once plugged into a UK 220 volt outlet, every receptacle (except USB obviously) will be supplying 220 volts and you will let the smoke out of any device that is not dual voltage (110V only)!!! 😳

• Options

Although rare, there have been a few tour hotels that did not provide conditioner. I always bring a small bottle.

• Options

@AlanS Yes, fortunately I am aware, but I sincerely appreciate your reminding me. :)

@lotusgirl Thanks for the heads up on the conditioner.

• Options

Forum always good for a laugh. I air-dry & have never worn makeup. Btw there are now many natural dry shampoos available for a quick refresh & they can go in carry-on. I believe in packing light, often sleep in bathrobe or in a pinch, a belted bath towel works lol.

• Options

Love your comments MarketArt!

• Options

I also never bring pjs ie night gowns - they just take up too much room. I have a very light weight washable travel robe and looking to find another such as a knee length kimono.

• Options

My daughter was in London a few years ago and bought a $20 flat iron at Boots...it's been great to travel with. Sometimes you just need to make your hair behave in order to feel like yourself!

• Options

I went on the Week in Scotland a year ago. Every hotel has excellent service, food, bath products (no need to bring shampoos etc) hairdryers, dining, breakfasts, everything you need etc etc. It's a great first time to Scotland tour. I had excellent cell service, I have TMoble and got the international plan so could call anywhere and unlimited text and data. Cell service is good in Scotland. Have a nice trip.

• Options

@Cathy_B Thanks, I am packing at the moment. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file