Options

Test of iPhone orientation

edited October 2023 in General

I will delete this post in a couple of days.

If you hold your iPhone upright when taking a picture, the picture will come out sideways.

If you hold your iPhone sideways, the picture will come out correctly.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2023

Yes, but how do you change the orientation once you have taken the photo and want to post it straight onto the forum?

• Options
    edited October 2023

I deleted this post because I gave the wrong solution. See further below for the correct solution.

• Options
    edited October 2023

A few years ago, the Tauck IT guys said they were looking at fixing this problem along with a few others (adding underline, a "quote" feature like the old forum, automatically adding underline and blue color to links, etc. etc.)

You would think it would be easy for them to write code to correctly read Apple iOS EXIF code or add a manual rotate feature. It is evidently not or too expensive at the present time.

How does it work for those of you using phones running Google Android (e.g. Samsung)? Anyone using a photo app ON THEIR iPhone to take or post-process photos that fixes this problem?

• Options

A few years ago, the Tauck IT guys said they were looking at fixing this problem...

IT = Inshallah Technology.

• Options

I have rotated the pictures on my iPad to get what I think will be the correct orientation and it’s wrong again. But if I rotate to anything and save it. Then rotate again so it looks correct and save it, it comes out correctly on the forum page.

• Options
    edited October 2023

Sealord is correct. I did exactly what he said and it put the picture in the upright orientation.

So it looks like you need to go to "edit", then "crop" and turn the picture with the rotate icon, then click done. That will leave the picture orientated wrong. Go through the sequence again edit, crop, rotate to correct position, then click done. It will go into the forum in the correct orientation. You have to go through the "done" sequence twice.

• Options
    edited October 2023

That is what I found also. Plus you must remember which way to rotate the photo in that process. It is a lot of hassle for your typical user.

I take photos with a DSLR but download them every evening to my iPad for final culling. Then I upload to the forum (and FB). The DSLR EXIF data survives and photos regardless of the orientation of my camera end up in the correct orientation. It is an Apple iPhone issue.

• Options
    edited October 2023

That is what I found also. Plus you must remember which way to rotate the photo in that process. It is a lot of hassle for your typical user.

I take photos with a DSLR but download then every evening to my iPad for final culling. Then I upload to the forum (and FB). The DSLR EXIF data survives and photos regardless of the orientation of my camera end up in the correct orientation. It is an Apple iPhone issue.

I don't think you have to remember which way you rotated the picture. First, on the iPhone you are only offered counterclockwise rotation. Second, so far with my testing, the only requirement is that your final rotation sequence brings the picture to the orientation you want (so the people and buildings are upright). This sequence is intended for people who do not do post processing and want their photos to display properly.

The issue is an Apple issue and has been known for a long time. Apple includes some data in the EXIF that indicates the orientation of the image. When you display the picture on an Apple device, the Apple device checks the EXIF data and displays the picture properly. Other software, such as the forum, does not check this Apple EXIF data so the picture may not display properly. If you Google about this, you'll find several explanations..

If the EXIF contains the GPS (actually, I think it's lat and long) of where you took the picture - as smartphones generally do - you might consider having your post processing remove that data, especially the location for pictures you take at home. You're giving away your home location to anyone on the Internet. Of course, most DLSRs do not put the GPS into the EXIF because those cameras do not have a GPS receiver. Some DSLRs will communicate with your smartphone and include the GPS data.

I only include a minimum amount of data in the EXIF of pictures I post on the Internet.

• Options

I did some more testing. It appears that the forum software strips the location data from the pictures posted to the forum.

• Options

I can't do the rotating thing. Cropping to get the ratio right seems to work better for me. Below pictures show the San Gimignano photo I posted and below it the original.

• Options

Lovely, it’s years since we were there and I remember it fondly, it was raining most of the time that day. Maybe I’ll get there again someday.