Options

Activity at Peak Altitude on Southbound Rhine Dec 13, 2024

We are scheduled on the Southbound Rhine Christmas Market trip and the map indicates a peak altitude of 6940 ft - would anyone know if at this altitude any really activity takes place e.g. Rapid walking etc. My wife might need some medication if so. Thanks, Don & Carol

Comments

• Options

I’ve been on this trip and don’t recall that altitude. I googled altitudes on the Rhine and don’t find it that high except in the Alps. Can you clarify where on the map you see 6940 feet?

• Options

Hey Don! I'm also on that cruise and I'm wondering if the altitude is regarding the Mt Pilatus option, which is on Day 7 of the trip??

• Options

6940? I live at 7,000 and have never had a visitor have major issues with it. Generally the worst impact is a headache usually resolved with tylenol and staying hydrated. Unless you plan to jog or power walk, most people will be fine. But of course, if you're worried contact your doctor.

Kathy, you did fine at Jungfrau Joch. I don't think Mt Pilatus will be a problem.
    Mt Pilatus 6983
    Jungfrau Joch 11,362

• Options

Hey Claudia - yes, no issues for me, just trying to think if the altitude height was from Mt. Pilatus that Don was mentioning. I’m looking forward to going up there, weather permitting!

• Options

There is no strenuous exercise on Mt. Pilatus. Depending on how you arrive/depart to/from the top there is either a train/tram or a ski lift gondola. Here are a few pictures: tram, gondola, buildings at the top, and a view.

• Options

Sam- wrong season! Mt Pilatus is higher in the winter, at least by a few inches of snow! :D:D You shouldn't have any problems with altitude unless you have COPD or other respiratory issues. Taking the stairs to the upper summit could be tough on your legs.

• Options

Thankyou everyone. We are really anxious as it will be our first. First River Cruise, First with Tauck, and First Christmas Market outing.
    We are looking forward to a great trip. Thanks again for your inputs.

• Options

Thank you for this information I will also be on this trip and the person I'm with uses a cane. Don this will be my 11th with Tauck and my 2nd river cruise. Hope we will meet on the ship.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file