Options

Northern Spain and the Rioja Valley

I am going on this tour in May. I haven’t found any recent discussions from previous travelers. By recent I mean within the last year. Can anyone who has been on this trip comment on the activity level . Will I need walking poles. I can walk 3 to 4 miles a day unassisted and I have no trouble with the average stairs . Also, how frequent are the stops on the bus. Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 28

We are taking this tour in October. I would appreciate your feedback.. Years ago, I remember speaking to someone on a tour who had been on the tour when it was called Paradors of Northern Spain and their only negative was too much time on the bus. As far as bus stops, I can’t recall Tauck going more than two hours in a first world country without a toilet stop. Perhaps someone might indicate if the bus has a toilet too.

• Options
    edited March 28

We took this tour when it was called Paradors of Northern Spain, so my experience is not recent. I am unclear as to why it is classified as a '3/3' now. I do not think canes/sticks are required, but take them if you think you would feel more comfortable. Our group was given the option of walking a part of 'The Way of Saint James' which we found very rewarding. We met people from all walks of life and some who walked the entire 'Way.'

Yes, there was time on the bus but what better way to see the countryside? As mentioned above, there are frequent rest stops.

• Options

My husband and I also took this tour when it was the Paradors tour, commencing in Spain and ending in Lisbon. I took a look at the green book and the daily itinerary sheets. The most significant change is that from Santiago de Compostela, the current trip includes a flight to Madrid for a two night stay. Our tour continued on to Portugal by bus to Porto for two nights and then to Lisbon for two nights (stopping in Coimbra and Fatima on the way). The current trip has one single night hotel stay. Our trip had three. Those changes certainly cut down on the driving. I absolutely loved the tour, including the driving. At that time, the drivers were required to take a 15 minute break every two hours. We took a break at some very nice rest stops. I remember drinking coffee and chatting with the locals, the TD and the driver.

I do understand and concur with the 3 and 3 ranking. It is a very active tour with significant walking, sometimes on cobblestone streets, getting on and off the bus, etc., and now a plane and the large Madrid airport.

• Options

Great info!

• Options

Thx

• Options

I took this tour in 2011 when it was Paradors of Northern Spain, don't remember feeling like there was too much time in the bus. The countryside is beautiful. Great tour.

• Options

My mom and I did this tour in May of 2022. As noted above, the countryside is beautiful. We both enjoyed the time on the coach. There are ample “comfort stops” as they typically appear in the schedule. As far as activity level goes, I don’t remember it being that strenuous. There are lots of cobblestones of course. There are a lot of walking tours so maybe that bumps up the activity level, but it would be more for time on your feet rather than distance traveled. By their nature, the Paradors are in historic buildings. This can mean long hallways and limited elevators so the stairs are typically a much more direct route to your room. If you are a wine lover, you are in luck. Wine is included at every meal. It is a wonderful tour. We loved it.

• Options

Thx , sounds marvelous

• Options

Choc - we are also on a May tour. I really hope the April people will post some reviews before I zip my suitcase!

I am currently testing walking shoes, sneakers, sandals. Bought another pair today when I was visiting NYC. Ok- I'm a little bit shoe obsessed! It's likely that I may buy some in Spain- they have great leather goods. I still have beautiful unworn leather gloves I bought in Barcelona a few years ago. I just have so many!

We are really looking forward to this trip; I've wanted to visit the Basque region for awhile. Even though we've been to Barcelona and Madrid in the past, I think there are always new things to learn about places we are revisiting. There's something about Spain that is just magical.

If you are on this trip in the next few weeks, please post! I will do the same once we return. 😀

• Options

SGF: while in Madrid visits Casa Hernanz for espadrilles. Stand in line, wait, they only allow small numbers of people in the shop at one time. My wife routinely buys 8-10 pairs at a time….

• Options

Folsomdoc- I just checked out their website- thank you so much! Very excited to visit and shop for espadrilles! I'm wondering if I should pack an extra duffle just in case...😀

• Options

SGF - If you are looking forward to visiting the Basque region, you will find delicious pintxos in San Sebastion. Enjoy!

• Options

If you go to Bilbao, check out the Vizcaya bridge - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vizcaya_Bridge

Very unusual and worth seeing. Most tours skip the bridge and go to the Guggenheim Bilbao Museum.

• Options
    SGFSGF
    edited April 7

Thanks for all the recommendations. Tapas (pintxos) tour booked in San Sebastián.

• Options

We take this toir in October. We got an email from Tauck to say one of the Paradore is closed for renovation where we were supposed to have lunch. I can’t recall which one as we have three trips before then. Has anyone else had this notification?

• Options

Yes, I have. It’s on day 3