Options

Duffel bags for K&T

2»

Comments

• Options

Thank you AlanS and mil. The your experience has helped me with some problem solving. mil, for normal travel destination(s), I carry my camera bag (25-30lbs) and my "roller electronics" bag, both of which I hand carry on the plane. The "roller bag" carries my drone and extra lenses, etc. I was raised on the adage of "better to have and not need, than need and not have". I am my own worst enemy when it comes to photography. But I've gotten some great shots!

• Options

@mil - I wish I could have a suitcase, backpack (carry-on) and a camera bag (personal item). As it currently stands with Qatar Airways for us plebs economy passengers - their published carry-on restrictions of 1 hand bag (not to exceed 15lbs) and one small personal item (such as one lady’s handbag or one small briefcase; one coat, cape or blanket; one umbrella; one pair of crutches or a walking stick; one small camera or binoculars; limited reading material; an infant’s carrying basket) is per recently travelers a hit or miss (and much more often a miss) based on the check-in agent/traveler status and the gate agent, effectively limiting a passenger to 1 carry-on item with no exceptions. What I'm also being told even by Qatar is that the personal items count towards the overall weight check too. I directly inquired with them as to camera bags as a personal item as there is no way that is getting checked, and I was told that unless it's the camera is a small (and doesn't exceed 2 lbs), it will not count as a personal item but rather towards your 1 allowed carry-on. So...I in order to have a carry-on that I can actually use for clothing/personal effects as well, I got a camera/travel backpack and I will have to pack the camera bag (mostly empty) in the suitcase. Where it will get iffy and I hope Tauck will make a minor exception is when we take the to smaller on tour planes - I would like to bring the backpack and the camera bag and the duffle. But that will likely have to be a game day decision and with 4 of us traveling together - we might be able to juggle some thing a bit.

Oddly the size requirement for a Qatar carry-on bag is typical of a personal item size for 99% of the other airlines which just adds to the fun of trying to coordinate with further packing restrictions. The backpack is nice, but it is also NOT something size wise or camera accessibility I would want to take in the safari vehicle. That is where the camera bag comes into play.

• Options

I’ve been on 8 safari tours. Never seen a tripod. Took the Zanzibar included one too. …Lower your expectations is my advice.

• Options

I am going on the Botswana, Zambia, South Africa tour in August. This is what they mailed me because I already inquired. All guests will receive a special rolling duffel bag before departing their home.

These journeys include multiple internal flights on smaller planes, so guests will be issued a duffel bag for the journey; this duffel will be their ONLY piece of checked luggage for the duration their tour.

Tauck will issue guests Eagle Creek rolling duffel bags (30 x 15 x 14 inches). This is huge in my opinion.

GUESTS MUST BRING THE DUFFEL, AS IT IS THEIR ONLY PIECE OF CHECKED LUGGAGE. Due to internal flights throughout the tour, a special rolling duffel bag to be used for the entire tour will be mailed to their home prior to their tour departure. This duffel bag has been selected to provide the guests with adequate space for all items needed during your stay.

While larger suitcases are prohibited, each guest is allowed a small carry-on bag, in addition to their duffel bag.

Guests are allowed up to 44 lbs (20kg) for duffel bag and up to 16 lbs (7kg) carry on.

If you have any questions or if we can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. We hope you have a wonderful time on the tour.

• Options
    milmil
    edited April 25

Hulka I hear you. I'm the same way when it comes to photographic equipment and great shots! I rather suffer but what a joy when you get THE SHOT! I have several of my own... that I WOW myself. No regrets!

• Options
    milmil
    edited April 25

Hulka on my first Safari I took a Nikon 180-600 lens + adapter. small Light diffuser etc... got Amazing shots of course..., but can back with a horrible Ulnar nerve - painful pinch, that lasted 3 weeks . and still somewhat sensitive.
    Inside the Jeeps you stand most of the time even with the jeep moving, so you hold from the sidebars, carrying the lenses. It's a challenge. :) but totally WORTH IT! !

• Options

Standing and moving in the vehicles. On some tours, your driver might be reluctant to move unless you sit down. A driver once forgot to tell us he was going to move. I was thrown backwards with my back hitting right where my kidneys were and I sustained a nasty large bruise. Be careful if you keep standing!

• Options
    edited April 25

All things considered, and with the multiple pieces of advice, I will keep the tripod at home. Thanks to everyone that jumped in, I really do appreciate it. I think it will be an incredible adventure.
    mil. Yes I suffer from the nerve sensitivity too, just because I carry the 25-30 lbs backpack with me. I have increased the stock value of the Advil company, to the extreme.
    Thanks to everyone again.

• Options
    edited April 25

Hulka: You need to research the drone. You can probably leave that at home as well. I’m pretty sure they do not allow drones on safari.

• Options

Sealord, Thanks for the tip. I knew there is no drones allowed and I hadn't planned on taking it for our trip, I was only pointing out that it adds to the weight of the bag when I travel for photo shoots. I think I will only be bringing the camera body and two lenses, per the many suggestions proffered in this string. Thanks again.

• Options

You are getting closer. Now figure out which of the two lenses you want to bring. You will not be changing lenses while on safari.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file