Options

Broken Foot

My husband and I are scheduled to take this trip in two weeks. Unfortunately, I broke my foot over the weekend. I am now off of crutches and in a walking boot. I am getting around fine and have no pain. I was wondering if anyone who has been on this trip can provide any insights about the advisability of joining the trip. Did you feel like there was a lot of walking?

For short distances, I would not slow anyone down. I haven't tested out walking a couple of miles yet. We have trip insurance so the expense is not a consideration. I spoke to Tauck and was told that I should be OK since I am in a walking boot now. The agent noted that other than Day 2 or 3 of the trip, there isn't a lot of physical activity. Appreciate any insights. Thank you.

Comments

• Options

I'm sorry for your foot, but I am happy that it is getting better. You seem to be doing quite fine with the walking boot already. If Tauck says you are ready, then it must be true. You have travel insurance, so it could be worth trying. Perhaps on Day 2 or 3 take it easy to see how you feel with the walking. If mostly short distances and no pain, then maybe trip is possible without trouble. Take care!

• Options

There is more walking on Elegant South Africa than some other safari tours. There is quite a bit of walking to just get to the rooms at the lodges along walkways. There is walking to the museums. In my humble opinion , I would delay the trip. I can’t recall the type of safari vehicle, but if it the high type where you have to climb up the sides of the vehicle, it is quite tricky. Has the rep you talked to actually taken the tour? Maybe ask to speak to the manager who is charge of that tour, they do go on the tours to check the details

• Options

Deb66, so sorry about your foot. There is a lot of walking after you get to the Cape of Good Hope, but some of it is optional such as climbing to the top of the lighthouse lookout. There was also a bit of a trek o get to Boulder Beach. Not so much walking on safaris as in the cities. The safari vehicles are the easiest to get into that I have ever ridden in. You step up to a platform and enter whichever level of the vehicle you choose. There are three levels of seating. I might be able to find a photo somewhere in my archives. If you are in otherwise good physical shape and have stamina you will likely be ok if you listen to your body and rest/sit out an activity or two. I am not, however, a medical doctor - just a person who loves Africa and this tour. Make the choice that works best for you and happy travels!

• Options

Deb66 I took this tour back in 2012 but I do remember a lot of walking, please think about it because if you won't be able to enjoy the trip is best to postpone.

• Options

Awesome customer service! If you have the agent’s name it would be so kind of you to email Tauck singing her praises.

• Options

Rooting for you too, Deb!

• Options

I think the final vote should come from your doctor/orthopedist. Only he/she will know the seriousness of your break and know the dangers and consequences if you over-stress the break walking with a boot. I suspect just the fact that you are wearing a walking boot is a good sign but no guarantee. Good luck.

• Options

I know this isn't the same, but I broke my arm prior to a trip to Europe. It all worked out. It was different, but I made it work. Luckily the pain of the broken bone was subsided by that point. Had to revamp the travel clothes and you know what? It was great because I couldn't over pack. I got pre board on all the flights. Nice! My husband was there to get my bag in the overhead bin and he appreciated getting on board a little early to get organized. ( I let everyone who had walking or mobility issues board first-- my arm was nothing compared to those with walkers or wheelchairs).. People were very nice and helpful everywhere I went. It seems you are making tremendous progress which is great. From my past experiences over a variety of travel, noone is Usain Bolt when it comes to getting from point A to point B. Good luck and I hope you have fun on your trip. If you think you can do it, you can!

• Options

Carpe diem as OurTravels34 said! And as per Dinamo, a positive an optimistic attitude is often the best medicine.

• Options
    edited April 26

I became ill prior to a tour many years ago (not Tauck) and decided to suck it up and go. In Slovenia I felt bad enough to call my trip insurer and see what my coverage would be if I went home. The agent told me because I traveled with an illness for which I had sought care for in the week prior to leaving they would not cover anything. Well, I re-thought and soldiered on with my tour. You may want to give your insurer a call just in case you get there and find you need to bail.

• Options
    edited April 26

Such an inspirational story, cathyandsteve. Thanks for sharing.

And OurTravels34 is absolutely correct when she mentioned a positive attitude.

Regarding other people dictating what you should and should not do, I had similar experiences regarding my husband's age. Sadly, some people see a number (age) and automatically think the individual is too old, too feeble and will slow down the group. It is not the age but the fitness, attitude and mental acuity that count. How many can say that they can still travel at the age of ninety-nine (99)? We took two European river cruises last year.

Deb66 - Have a most glorious trip and please consider posting a review afterwards. All the best to you.

• Options

We are on 5/3 trip. One of my knees is giving me trouble. Wear good shoes and plan a spa day if the hiking is too much. Thats my plan

• Options

Thanks again to everyone for the wonderful insights and encouragement. Presently, I am feeling very optimistic about the trip.

SandyFeet: Taking your thoughtful suggestion, I gave a shout out to the wonderful Tauck agent who assisted me.
    Dinamo: Thanks for the firsthand insights on traveling with an injury. Love the positive attitude.
    Folsomdoc: So sorry about your illness on a prior trip. I will reach out to the insurer this week to understand implications.
    kfnknfzk: I will post a review afterwards.
    Sheri_B51: I love your attitude and plan...a potential spa day! We depart 5/5 for the 5/8 trip. Good luck!

• Options

Deb66 Hi.
    Glad to hear you are with a boot and doing better.
    How unfortunate and bad timing for this to happen, but I'm glad you will go on your trip and to be honest Tauck and the TD will accommodate everything for you. Most likely on the Jeeps you will be seated on the front with driver. :)
    One thing that works great as you get a chance is to put your foot in warm water as you go back to your room and then put it up, it alleviates the pain if any due to the extra effort on that foot.

Do ask for wheelchair help at the big int'l. airports, it helps no having to walk so much, but I guaranteed you 'll be so excited with the trip, you won't even think about it.
    Keep positive and don't overdue anything before you go.

Good luck!