Options

Accessibility for people with mobility scooters

I have a friend who really wants to accompany me on a river cruise from Paris to Normandy. But my limited experience, in general, in traveling in Europe is that it is difficult for those with mobility issues. That said, has anyone specifically taken the Paris to Normandy river cruise on Tauck (or any of the other lines; they all seem to have similar ones), and could comment on whether or not the excursions to the sites would be problematic for someone who has a motor scooter? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited May 8

It would be best to contact Tauck directly with your concern.

• Options

I agree with everything Claudia stated in her post. I just returned from this trip on April 17. I need to be blunt here. Even if this person is able to get around without the motor scooter, it will be very challenging if they have issues walking. There is alot of walking on this tour, many stairs, uneven terrain, cobblestone streets, etc. If they somehow make it on to the boat, they will probably have to stay onboard the entire time and they will require an able companion to stay and assist them. (See Tauck Health and Safety insert below). If you are attending an excursion, the crew can't be expected to assist. There is an elevator, but not to the top deck, which would limit their ability to just sit and enjoy the view . I don't think it would be very enjoyable for either of you. Perhaps there are tours out there that would cater more to individuals with disabilities.

The following is listed under the General Information:

Health and Safety:
    Please consult your physician for pre-departure health advice. Tauck regrets that it cannot provide special assistance for walking, wheelchairs, motorized scooters, dining or other personal needs. Guests needing such assistance must be
    accompanied by an able companion who will assist them. We regret that all river cruising itineraries cannot
    accommodate wheelchairs or motorized scooters.

• Options

jlrm Hi.

Look at the health considerations for this cruise Tauck specifically says they "cannot accommodate wheelchairs or motorized scooters". The tour coaches aren't set up for this.

• Options
    edited May 8

Try Googling "European tours for people with mobility issues"

A poster on the Rick Steves website listed this one: (I know nothing about it) https://www.sagetraveling.com/ There were several other posts on Rick's site on this topic.

Here is an article on Conde Nast: https://www.cntraveler.com/story/tour-companies-dedicated-to-travelers-with-disabilities

You will likely find some companies that meet your needs, unfortunately, Tauck is not one of them.

• Options

I believe some of the large cruise ships can accommodate scooters. Good luck!

• Options

I would strongly discourage this individual from going on a river cruise. There are ocean cruises that offer excursions for people in wheel chairs. Transportation ashore by scooter is very limited because a vehicle must be able to accommodate one. Most wheel chairs fold up. These excursions are very limited in where they can go. It does however give the individual a chance to get off ship and experience the country. Good luck.