Options

Kenya & Tanzania July 14, 2018

Comments

• Options
    That’s good to know
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Now we have all the visas, which took a total of 18 days using the ‘do it yourself’ method. We did not receive them ‘Monday or Tuesday’, we received them Saturday. I don’t think they processed the visas until the credit card charge ‘cleared’. I just picked up our malaria pills, and that put a check in the final box. All we have left to do is ‘pack’. Looking forward to the arrival of our third set of Tauck duffels. (;-). Our last set has been to the Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite this year, and they just got back from the Bodega Bay Lodge (“The Birds”). They also made a trip to the Caribbean aboard the Wind Surf. We use them all the time as we find them very convenient, if you don’t have to schlep them too far. They actually hold as much as a regular piece of checked luggage, but they only weigh about a pound instead of fifteen or twenty like a big wheeled suitcase. We actually use them as our primary luggage to Africa, and just bring a small rollaboard to use as a cart.
  • Options
    I was looking at some of the other Africa trips and became curious about The Grand Family Safari. So I looked at the itinerary and the frequency, and realized that there will be two Tauck tours staying at the Four Seasons Serengeti most of the time. During July they are running Tanzania: A Grand Family Safari about every three days, and they stay at the Four Seasons for three days. So we should have plenty of Tauck company. They also normally have multiple Tauck tours staying at the Arusha Serena.
  • Options
    I can’t wait for our next African safari but it is in December 2019. We hope we can do the Bridges tour with our grandchildren in 5 years time. It is a great itinerary and if the new Africa tours had not come up we would definitely consider doing them without the grandchildren before then. It eliminates the dreaded Nairobi airport!
  • Options
    We have only been to the Nairobi airport once, and it was certainly not our favorite, but the “dreaded Nairobi airport” got me into the research mode. The last time, and the next time, we are on KLM and they said they were working on a new terminal. So according to what I’ve found online, KLM is now using the new terninal 1A. In any case, and bearing in mind that I worked for ten airlines and have been to virtually every major airport in the world, in my view Nairobi was no where near as bad as BA’s terminal five at Heathrow. It makes terminal 2 at Heathrow look like Heaven. Amsterdam’s Schipol used to be my favorite, but it has now grown to be a monster. Then again, I once told my airline that if they ever even flight planned me to fly over Nigeria I would quit rather than risk the possibliity of having to land there in an emergency. (;-)
  • Options
    Hi. I'm Jane from NYC. Arriving July 13 --- through Amsterdam, so will probably see some of you one the plane/in airport. Happy to meet up with anyone in advance!
  • Options
    KLM 567 exit row 30 H & J, Mike and Eloise
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Hi Jane. We (Deborah and Walt) are on the same flight as well.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    New milestone. We now have 26 days and 17 hours to go, and we received our Tauck duffels today. We now have three sets of Tauck duffels, and two identical Eagle Creek duffels that we used for the Galapagos. Looking for more friends that might need duffel bags. (;-)

Another milestone: Just got an email from our tour director Seth. AlanS has spoken very favorably about this guy.
  • Options
    Sealord - we received our duffel bags this week as well and Seth's email today. Going to be a dandy time !
  • Options
    25 days 3hours and 13 minutes to go. But who is counting? We have done this before, and we are really getting excited. Those of you have not been there should really be getting excited. I loved the Galapagos so much that we went three times ... not even close to Africa. I think Seth’s email provided a lot of useful information that is mostly included in these threads, but he has it nicely summarized. Dress up clothes are not necessary. That being said, we will probably encounter a few people at the Four Seasons who flew in on their own airplane and are dressed to the ‘nines’ in the evening. We were wearing safari clothes. The Mount Kenya Safari Club also attracts some jet setters ... though some people would call us jet setters ... just not very well dressed. (;-)
  • Options
    Hi all! John and I are getting excited too! Not long now! Linda
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Sealord wrote:
    25 days 3hours and 13 minutes to go. But who is counting? We have done this before, and we are really getting excited. Those of you have not been there should really be getting excited. I loved the Galapagos so much that we went three times ... not even close to Africa. I think Seth’s email provided a lot of useful information that is mostly included in these threads, but he has it nicely summarized. Dress up clothes are not necessary. That being said, we will probably encounter a few people at the Four Seasons who flew in on their own airplane and are dressed to the ‘nines’ in the evening. We were wearing safari clothes. The Mount Kenya Safari Club also attracts some jet setters ... though some people would call us jet setters ... just not very well dressed. (;-)

You might see some military types at the Safari Club pool- there is a British (and Kenyan) military training base (BATUK- British Army Training Unit Kenya) nearby and Brits (and Aussies, SA.s, etc.?) go there for training. Google it. There were about a dozen on R&R at the pool when we were there- they weren't in uniform but had on very casual clothes and a bit out of place at the Safari Club.
  • Options
    The last time we were there the Kenya head of state was there with a bunch of other VIP’s ... and lots of armed security.
  • Options
    Getting really close now. Eloise just finished ironing the dollars we plan on spending in Kenya and Tanzania.
  • Options
    Why do you have to iron your bills?
  • Options
    Ha ha ha! I think Sealord is exaggerating the fact that older and ratty looking bills may be rejected.
  • Options
    British wrote:
    Ha ha ha! I think Sealord is exaggerating the fact that older and ratty looking bills may be rejected.

Naw, he just printed them up and didn't put enough starch in this batch! : )
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    “Older or ratty looking bills” will be rejected. Also 300 wrinkled bills take up about three times as much space as nice flat money. (;-). We didn’t iron all the money, just the wrinkled bills. As said in another post, our TD advised to bring plenty of money as it does not go bad, and you can’t get it in Africa. On our last K&T we ended up loaning money to several people who did not have suitable money or no money at all.
  • Options
    Sealord wrote:
    “Older or ratty looking bills” will be rejected. Also 300 wrinkled bills take up about three times as much space as nice flat money. (;-). We didn’t iron all the money, just the wrinkled bills. As said in another post, our TD advised to bring plenty of money as it does not go bad, and you can’t get it in Africa. On our last K&T we ended up loaning money to several people who did not have suitable money or no money at all.

Wow, did you get the money back? We must be unlucky, every time we loan money to friends over the years, we rarely get it back and it becomes awkward to ask, you know things like hundreds of dollars when they ask you to get them tickets for a Broadway show, more than once and things like that. I have seen Tour directors loan money too.
  • Options
    The people we loaned money to all paid it back including one of our TD’s. While walking I also remembered another activity. Many people only brought large bills that could not be used for small purchases unless you wanted to leave a big tip. So we also made change for several people. That ended when we started to run out of ‘flat’ small bills.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    AlanS wrote:
    Naw, he just printed them up and didn't put enough starch in this batch! : )

Actually, she just had one relatively new but really wrinkled bill, so she used spray starch on it before she ironed it. It worked great ... flat as pancake. (;-)
  • Options
    Sealord wrote:
    Actually, she just had one relatively new but really wrinkled bill, so she used spray starch on it before she ironed it. It worked great ... flat as pancake. (;-)

Are you still here? Isn't Arusha calling? (;-)
  • Options
    We leave in one week. I see you are everywhere on this forum. We just booked two days ago the 1/18/‘19 Panama Canal trip on Le Champlain. Already booked bus/first using miles to Costa Rica/Panama and back. Two legs each way.
    Sometimes it looks easy.
  • Options
    Sealord wrote:
    We leave in one week. I see you are everywhere on this forum. We just booked two days ago the 1/18/‘19 Panama Canal trip on Le Champlain. Already booked bus/first using miles to Costa Rica/Panama and back. Two legs each way.
    Sometimes it looks easy.

We've flown to Panama several times on Delta to visit our daughter and family. Half of the trips were paid for with Skymiles. It won't be so easy or inexpensive to visit, however when then get to their new posting to Buenos Aires next year. : (
  • Options
    I worked the MIA-EZE route many times. It is a long ride and we were always pretty full. Serious packing will begin today. Eloise is unpacking the new duffels as we speak. We use them as primary luggage, check one, take one on board with a rollaboard that we use as a cart.
  • Options
    To Delaware Travelers and SEALORD: We shall see you all soon !!!
  • Options
    To Delaware Travelers and SEALORD: We shall see you all soon !!!

“The bags are packed, we’re ready to go. Leaving on a jet plane.” That’s the music on my alarm on my iPad. That and “On the road again.”

We leave tomorrow for SFO, and depart for Kilimanjaro on Thursday. Not looking forward to that ride. I’ve done it coach and Ive done it business class ... makes no difference “tired” wise ... its just an awful ride. I used to fly San Jose, CA to Tokyo on a regular basis (working) and that was bad. I did have the best seat on the airplane, and a bunk room, but it was still awful at around 13 hours. Twenty hours in the air is not a fun trip. But, we are really excited to be returning to Africa. It is well worth the pain of twenty hours in the air.
  • Options
    Safe travels everyone! We land at Kilimanjaro at 12:55 pm on 7/13. See you all in Tanzania! Linda & John
  • Options
    Now at the Arusha Serena in Tanzania, but it was a close call. Just after we pushed back from the gate at SFO two girls got into a fight and were out of control. The captain pulled back into the gate and tossed them off the airplane with the help of the police. Not entirely certain why that delayed us for an hour, but I suspect it was reemoving their luggage, not for getting more fuel as was stated. The delay nearly led to a misconnect in Amsterdam but we made it. There were twenty (of thirty) Tauck guests on that plane arriving a day early.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file