Options

Kenya & Tanzania July 14, 2018

13»

Comments

• Options
    Wow, close call Sealord, but you luggage got with you. Have fun, we are in rainy, cold Iceland but still having fun.
  • Options
    British wrote:
    Wow, close call Sealord, but you luggage got with you. Have fun, we are in rainy, cold Iceland but still having fun.

I’ve been to Iceland many times with the Navy. I’ve landed there often looking out the side window instead of the windshield until shortly before touchdown. I’m sure you will see some wonderful sights, but Iceland is not on my bucket list. I’ve never been there on a warm sunny day, though I’m sure they have some. Kind of like Whidbey Island, Washington, they have summer every year on the fourth of July ... but I loved the place (Whidbey). (;-)
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    We are in the group coming for the tour that starts next weekend. How is the wifi there in Arusha?
  • Options
    We are in the group coming for the tour that starts next weekend. How is the wifi there in Arusha?
    Wifi has been pretty good even in the rooms. I posted photos and a video in Facebook and they went through pretty fast.
  • Options
    It is not exactly high speed, but it is way better than most cruise ships. Quite functional for most things. Download at 24 mbps and upload at 13.5 mbps. I just tested it.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Enjoy your trip! Say Hi to Seth.
  • Options
    I will. He’s doing a great job. Temperatures for those going soon. Not literally ‘freezing’ but the Arusha hotel has no heat, and it has beeen cold at night. The ‘high altitude’ Ngoroongoro Serena Hotel has heat, but it is very sketchy. Very cold last night and most of the day. Nearly froze last night, and finally put on the bathrobe, and had one extra blanket. We are going to ask for another. Wore four layers today and was relatively comfortable. Eloise put on at least that many layers, and a hat, and gloves and was still cold. We declined the opportunity to raise the vehicle top until it warmed up a bit. So if you are coming soon, pack some warm stuff for Ongorongoro, and Mt. Kenya. The low altitude places reach 80 in the daytime.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info....we are on the August 11th trip and have been wondering about weather and what to pack....I’m checking on line
    but that doesn’t always give a clear picture.
  • Options
    Thank YOU for the weather report for those of us coming soon! Kind of you.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    You just need layers. And you need to check the forecast for your trip. The weather patterns/seasons are quite different.

Safari day at the Four Seasons ... anazing. Saw many lions at close range, and two leopards at long range. May other animals one after another. Terrific day! Then after ‘chasing’ lions all mornine, we went to a picnic area that had a bathroom for a rest brake. One of our vehicles made it in an out before the lions arrived. When we arrived, the whole place had been taken over by lions. One person was trapped in the bathroom, and wisely stayed there, and the guy in his beverage truck decided to stay inside also. Amazing! The lions wandered among a huge group of safari vehicles and then finally moved on. We chose a different rest stop.
  • Options
    Again, thanks for the updates. Very helpful as we are beginning to organize for packing.
    And loved hearing about your lion encounter.....what fun!
  • Options
    Today we relocated from the Four Seasons to Amboseli. Four forty-five wakeup, to fly to Arusha, then drive to Naranga, then new safari vehicles to Amboseli. Arrived at around three, and went on safari at 4:30 to 6:30. Saw a ‘parade’ of around thirty elephants in addition to numerous other creatures Fantistic! So far this trip has been five times better than our first K&T four years ago. Heavy seasonal rain impact is obvious to those who have been here before. Parts of the approaches look like they were hit by a hurricane. But I think the animals love it. We on the other hand ‘forded’ our way in, with the vehicle makeing a lot of use of the elevated exhaust system ... bottom under water.
  • Options
    Sealord wrote:
    Today we relocated from the Four Seasons to Amboseli. Four forty-five wakeup, to fly to Arusha, then drive to Naranga, then new safari vehicles to Amboseli. Arrived at around three, and went on safari at 4:30 to 6:30. Saw a ‘parade’ of around thirty elephants in addition to numerous other creatures Fantistic! So far this trip has been five times better than our first K&T four years ago. Heavy seasonal rain impact is obvious to those who have been here before. Parts of the approaches look like they were hit by a hurricane. But I think the animals love it. We on the other hand ‘forded’ our way in, with the vehicle makeing a lot of use of the elevated exhaust system ... bottom under water.

Wow, we went about a month earlier, 13 June, 2015, and had no rain nor any signs of recent or heavy rain! Seth said the rains had been later that year and speculated it may have confused some of the animals because we saw a mini-migration of wildebeest and zebra in the Serengeti. It sounds like the rains this year were heavier and even later. Amboseli which is (high plains?) low land and a former lake bed still had plenty of watering holes and marshy areas, however. Could global warming be affecting the weather patterns in Africa?
  • Options
    Sealord wrote:
    When we went to K and T in around 2006, Amboseli was in a severe drought, it was like driving through a desert. I think Tauck stopped going to that part for a couple of years because animals were dying all over.
    Yes, a trip to Africa is different every time, love to hear your news Sealord.
  • Options
    Virginia travelers will be arriving on the 13th via KLM airline from Amsterdam. We read the posts about difficulties getting Yellow Fever vaccines so we acted quickly. Only 2 places had 1 vaccine each a week after Christmas so we got them. Now working on getting other vaccines. Anyone else going on this trip?

We are the Pletsh’s From Springfield IL, same trip, KLM from Amsterdam.
  • Options
    We are the Pletsh’s From Springfield IL, same trip, KLM from Amsterdam.

I hope you mean same trip different dates! : ) The folks in this thread went on K&T in July. If you have yet to go, you might want to start another thread for folks on your departure.
  • Options
    Some of our people are still in Africa. Just got an email from some folks on our trip who are now in Namibia.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file