Options

electric plugs for K&T

Hello, I'm going next August to Kenya and Tanzania . All my devices are dual electricity , so all I need is plugs not adapters. Could someone kindly let me know which ones.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    thanks.
  • Options
    Online it seems to say that Kenya uses type G adapters but in Tanzania some places use G and others use D. Did previous travelers need Type D adapters anywhere in Tanzania ?
    Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Ok, so we are going Sept 8 and we are definitely in the demographic of being completely clueless as to plugs, adapters, chargers etc. Can someone be really specific as to what we need or better yet use a link so we can purchase the right things? I did link to the previous post but not sure if that’s the only thing...I’m guessing the G/D/F etc. designations are what to look for but beyond that....? Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Yes, you need two even three types. The British style which has three rectanagualr pins, one at the top, two side by side below. This is usually Kenya style. In Tanzania it’s the three round pins in the same formation and some just have two pins. I’m trying to post a link
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    NEW! 4 Pieces HIGH QUALITY AFRICA TRAVEL ADAPTER Pack for ALL countries in AFRICA; SOUTH AFRICA EGYPT MOROCCO TUNISIA KENYA NIGERIA TANZANIA BOTSWANA ZAMBIA NAMIBIA MOZAMBIQUE ZIMBABWE UGANDA RWANDA GHANA ETHIOPIA CONGO MAURITIUS and more / WITH DUAL PLUG-IN PORTS AND BUILT-IN SURGE PROTECTORS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AUNKFJS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_6kBzBb11DCBB4

There are cheaper options, this is just an example
  • Options
    Ok, so we are going Sept 8 and we are definitely in the demographic of being completely clueless as to plugs, adapters, chargers etc. Can someone be really specific as to what we need or better yet use a link so we can purchase the right things? I did link to the previous post but not sure if that’s the only thing...I’m guessing the G/D/F etc. designations are what to look for but beyond that....? Thanks!

Jeanne, if you look in the forum archives you will see the same question comes up time after time. Part of the reason is new travelers don't know to look there and don't know how to do a search. Reasons for confusion- many foreign outlets can accept two different plugs; many countries have two types of outlets- one for low current devices one for larger appliances; some countries also have two types of outlets because some older buildings may have legacy outlets that have yet to be updated; and sometimes neighboring countries will have different styles.

All that being said- an adapter that converts your US plug to a type G plug is what you want for Tanzania and Kenya. Remember, Google is your friend- just use plain language to ask your question, e.g. "What kind of receptacles are used in Kenya and Tanzania." Also, read up on the voltage supplied in those countries and voltage used by your devices.
  • Options
    I have a “Monster” plug that will convert to any type of electric recepticle. It was cheap and available online.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file