Shorts or Pants?

For all you previous travelers to K&T would shorts be ok to wear or did you find that pants were more advisable with he insects and environment?

Comments

• edited August 2018
    Pants - to protect against skeeters, bugs, and strong UV/sun (at least on game drives). However, even pants may not provide sufficient protection if you are unlucky to encounter tsetse flies! Ouch!
  • Pants - not only for protection but also for warmth. Our trip that started on the fourteenth was quite cool most of the time. We always had jackets with us, and we wore them early and late or when it was windy. When the safari vehicle is ‘open’ it is always windy.
  • You will probably wear pants most of the time for the reasons noted above, but there may be times when shorts are desirable depending upon the time of day, weather and the activity involved, such as relaxing around the lodge. I find the perfect compromise are travel pants that have zip-off legs at the knees. I've been to Africa multiple times and often during daytime game drives it became warm enough remove the legs, just keep your bug repellent handy in case needed. Most any travel or outdoor clothing company sell zip-off pants.
  • edited August 2018
    Yes, pants! Beg to differ with Calaf, Also been on multiple trips to Africa. I hope no one on my safari vehicle tries to spray nasty deet repellent around when I am in the vehicle with them, it should be done before you enter a vehicle, outside, not inside a room. Being careful there is no one near enough to inhale the spray. And then you should wash your hands thoroughly. If you get in the vehicle with long pants, you can’t put deet on first, it should only be applied to exposed skin and not covered up or it becomes too toxic and can make you queezy. With shorts, you risk your knees getting burnt.
  • So did you treat your clothing before you left with the spray made for fabric? We hadn’t planned on doing that but sounds like it may be a good idea???
  • milmil
    edited August 2018
    hello.
    I'm ready for the 8/25 tour and decided to take 3 long pants and 3 capri for either the hotel or even during the day time, since everyone has diferent experiences ... but I would definitely not take mini shorts. No Daisy Dukes :))))
    My Capris are kind of long, so there isn't much skin exposed and I will used the bug spray. Yes, I'll spray outside of the Jeep or even my room. I'll ware gloves and a mask. as usual. :)

• LaurelL wrote:
    So did you treat your clothing before you left with the spray made for fabric? We hadn’t planned on doing that but sounds like it may be a good idea???

Yes, we spray our clothing. We set up a clothing line under our raised deck, and then spray wearing gloves and mask. Wait until everything is thoroughly dry and then bring inside. The Premethrin is only toxic while still wet.
  • British wrote:
    Yes, we spray our clothing. We set up a clothing line under our raised deck, and then spray wearing gloves and mask. Wait until everything is thoroughly dry and then bring inside. The Premethrin is only toxic while still wet.

Yup, what British said. (I believe Permethrim will last through something like 6 washings).

IMG_1486r.jpg

d18c25e2-7411-4fdf-951b-03f4ace637b8_1.c3e26707025d132ecc8791dd053810c9.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

About Permethrin: (more info at this link)

"This insect-killing repellent for your clothing is effective against ticks, spiders, chiggers, mites, and mosquitoes for up to six weeks (or six washings)."

"Repellent should be applied outdoors and before clothing is worn; after it’s treated, hang clothing and let dry two hours (four hours in humid conditions).

Avoid contact with skin and eyes during the application phase."

• Just returned from K&T a week ago. We had Skeeter Beater with us (all natural) which seemed to attract ‘house flies’. So we tossed it. We did not treat our clothes, nor use any other anti insect stuff, and we were not bothered by any other insects. Bare in mind that we went during the ‘cool and dry’ season. We don’t do hot nor wet. There were many tsetse flies, but for some reason they left us alone. As far as I know, nothing repels the tsetse anyway. The ‘houseflies’ were only an issue at the Masai Mara camp, and I think it was due to the proximity of the hippos in the adjacent river. By the way, when dining outside at the Masai Mara get a table under an umbrella, or not under trees, unless you like bird crap in your food.
  • ????????????????

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file