Options

Too cold for a swimm @ four Seasons infinity pool ?

Hello.
Last minute questions for those that just came back.....
Do any of you remember seeing anyone at the pool? is the temp. so cold that no one would jump in? How about the elephants, were they at the water hole as custom?
I'm all ears.....;))))))

Comments

• Options
    Pool. Alan S reports on a previous post that the Four Seasons pool took his breath away in June. Most of the pools I have been to in Africa have been cold because it gets so cold at night and I don’t think most are heated. I still swim in them when I get a chance but others have given them a miss because of the cold
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    The good news- none.

The bad news- activity at the Four Seasons watering hole can vary greatly from really busy with a variety of animals (see Sealord's post I think) to nothing at all- we went in mid-June 2015- not one animal, zip, both days! : ( I can make mouth noises that sound very much like a bellowing bull elephant. I did it from the pool- lots of people came running from their rooms hoping to see what they hadn't seen at the watering hole - unfortunately, it was just me : )

More bad news, despite claims to the contrary, the water in the infinity pool was not heated and cool, clear nights and high altitude result in extreme evaporative cooling which made the water temps attention getting to say the least! REALLY cold. It took awhile to get it and it took my breath away. I did a few laps to get warmed up but it wasn't long before my fingers, toes, lips, etc. turned blue! I only saw one other person, who had a bit more insulation than me, get in the pool.

IMG_1894r.jpg

• Options
    Haha...Naughty Alan :)))
    I am convinced. Don't want to catch a cold especially with the hectic itinerary.
  • Options
    VPL wrote:
    Haha...Naughty Alan :)))
    I am convinced. Don't want to catch a cold especially with the hectic itinerary.

Contrary to popular myth, you can't catch a cold from having a cold swim! I will still attempt to swim when I can.
    I do admit that in the coldest part of our last Galapagos trip in December, even with a wet suit I got in and out in one breath it was so cold. Created a laugh from Mr B
  • Options
    We just returned on Friday nite from the Kenya and Tanzania trip. There were lots of elephants, zebra, gazelles, etc at the watering hole at Four Seasoms. We thoroughly enjoyed sitting on our balcony watching the herds come in and out. I did not swim but i know a few in our group did. Great adventure trip! I am relaxing this week.
  • Options
    milmil
    edited August 2018
    Alan, That is a Hilarious picture! I can see your nose turning blue. :))
    Yeap, the hotel claims pool is heated ... maybe, if not.. it would have been an ice skating ring, not a pool.. Lololol!!! Oh well , I'll tell you something.. if the elephants are at the water hole while I'm there ,I will jump in the pool and will take my selfie regardless..... :))
    Thanks! I'll cross my fingers! for all good NEWS!
    Oh by the way this pool is rated #6 in the world best pools! one more under my bucket list.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file