Options

Gratuity for Tour director

Is there one for the entire trip or several and how much per day is customary. Also is it appreciated that some gifts are given if so what is appropriate or is cash most welcome. I am going on the February 16th trip and hope no eastern storm upsets the trip

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Is there one for the entire trip or several and how much per day is customary. Also is it appreciated that some gifts are given if so what is appropriate or is cash most welcome. I am going on the February 16th trip and hope no eastern storm upsets the trip

You'll find many discussions on this topic in the archives, for both your tour and others. The green book, which you will get once you have paid in full, will give a suggested daily amount in cash for the TD. Gifts are not expected nor typically given. Remember, the TD may be doing multiple tours back to back, so lugging a gift around would actually place a burden on him/her.

Under the website tour page, "Before you Go" tab you will find this info:

"The customary gratuity to the Tauck Director is not included. Gratuities should be extended on a voluntary, individual basis and not as a group."

Correction: Again, the suggested amount (it was $8, but may now be $10 per day, per person for the TD) will be in your green book.

The Before You Go also says:

"All appropriate gratuities for hotel and lodge staff, safari guides, and drivers are included."

While it clearly says Tauck provides gratuities to the safari driver/guides, etc. that topic always comes up. Some people who feel a particular driver/guide went above and beyond to provide a personal service, may tip, while others do not. I suggest you read the archives to see what others have said. Search on "gratuity" or "tip" in the K&T forum. Your TD may also address this topic at the start of the tour. Between Tanzania and Kenya you could be riding with as many as 18 different drivers (3 different sets in Tanzania, Amboseli/Mt. Kenya, and Masai Mara).

You might also want to read about gifts/school supplies for the school you may visit.
  • Options
    The green book does give guidance, and the suggested amounts may vary depending on where you are in the world. The green book for my trip to Australia and New Zealand last month suggested $10 per traveler per day. I've gone on only five Tauck trips (so far) but on all of them, the tips were given in cash at the farewell dinner. You hand in your comment card and tip (if you choose to give one) and the tour director hands you the group photo. Some people get envelopes from the hotel to use for the tips. I try to bring a note card and envelope from home and write a "thank you" note to the tour director. It's not hard to find something good to say to them! They are amazing people.
  • Options
    I have the green book for our July K&T in my hand, and on page 22 is states the ‘recommended’ gratuity is $10 (US) per person per day. I knew our TD was going to be above average, so I just put $300 in an envelop before I left home. We did not wait for the farewell dinner to give it to him. I carried it around for the last couple days of the trip and gave it to him at a private moment when we could give proper thanks without being in a crowd. That works for us.
  • Options
    Alan, the suggested tip is $10 per person per day and has been for about three years now, before that it was $8. I think you are confusing the 4 or $5 with the driver tips for coach travel.
    We also bring an envelope to put the cash in and a notepaper for a personal note. We nearly always give this at the Farewell dinner.
    The group photo is not always given at the Farewell dinner, it can be given within hours of being taken depending on the tour director. The great Rob White even wrote down who each person was on the photo when we took a tour with him.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    British wrote:
    Alan, the suggested tip is $10 per person per day and has been for about three years now, before that it was $8. I think you are confusing the 4 or $5 with the driver tips for coach travel.
    We also bring an envelope to put the cash in and a notepaper for a personal note. We nearly always give this at the Farewell dinner.
    The group photo is not always given at the Farewell dinner, it can be given within hours of being taken depending on the tour director. The great Rob White even wrote down who each person was on the photo when we took a tour with him.

Ooops, yup, I was confusing bus driver tip- will edit my post. Sign of old age, I guess : (
    Since you double posted, either we are having forum issues, or you are suffering from the same ailment rotflm.gif
  • Options
    Alan, I’m on a Tauck tour right now and suffering from lots of food and alcohol that I am not used to every night and having a great time. I wish I could figure out how to post the pictures of me dancing in an Ice bar a couple of hours ago as part of a visit to a museum.
  • Options
    British, which tour are you on? Sounds like a great time!
  • Options
    Ah, you will have to wait until the end of my tour until I post my tips and info
  • Options
    She's on the same trip I'll be leaving for in about 3 weeks. As British didn't disclose, I won't post a spoiler. :-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file