Options

hand held battery operated fan

Would it be hot enough in the second half of February to find one useful on the safaris. Any other weather related info would be welcome. I have looked on the internet but locations ,altitudes vary. You can't take all the "in case" clothes.

I have also read the non Oscar nominated Green book

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2019
    This is the info that Tauck gives.

Kenya and Tanzania are truly year-round destinations, as the climate frequently features warm, bright days and cool, crisp nights. Daytime temperatures throughout the year typically range from 60 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit, or 15.5 to 35 degrees Celsius; evening temperatures can be cooler, ranging from 50 to 60 F, or 10 to 15.5 C.Late afternoon rains are customary. The rainy seasons are March through May (the "long rains") and October through December (the "short rains"). During these times, rain occurs mostly in the late afternoon, and is generally brief. The spring months are preferred by some for smaller crowds, verdant scenery, and delightful temperatures.To read about current weather conditions, we suggest you log on to the Internet website, noaa.gov, by clicking here.

Average Temperature

Serengeti, Tanzania
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Month
    Farenheit
    Celsius
    Farenheit
    Celsius
    January
    February

You do not need any fancy clothing. Simple earth colors are best, just layer up as you are at altitude so it is cool in the early hours when you get up before dawn, but then soon warms up so you will be able to strip down to a t shirt before long. Then reverse in the evening. I recommend long sleeve t shirt or blouse for sun and bug protection as you will be near the equator

If are holding a fan in your hand you are going to find it difficult to take photos and the animals might think you look odd????

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Would it be hot enough in the second half of February to find one useful on the safaris. Any other weather related info would be welcome. I have looked on the internet but locations ,altitudes vary. You can't take all the "in case" clothes.

I have also read the non Oscar nominated Green book

Both countries are at or near the equator (the equator goes right through the courtyard of the Mount Kenya Safari Club where you have a line crossing ceremony and a demonstration of the coriolis effect) so you won't experience seasonal changes like you do in the US (except for rain- little and none : ) ) Also, most of the time you will be in high plains areas in both countries > 5000' and pretty much have thinner air and few clouds to trap heat and will experience high desert radiant nighttime cooling. Are you talking about at night- some hotels have AC, some not. We were given hot water bottles in some places in June on K&T!!

On a game drive? Not unless you have "issues" then it is better to use a damp cloth around your neck. You will want to wear long sleeve shirts and long pants to protect against bugs and especially the strong UV rays of the sun. Some wear pants whose legs zip off and shirts with sleeves that easily roll up and tie.
  • Options
    Alan - I'm curious about the Coriolis effect demo, as most of what is claimed about it isn't true (eg., toilets flushing in the opposite direction). Also, being a few inches on one side or the other of the equator should be insignificant to anything but sensitive lab equipment. What did they demonstrate?
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    BKMD wrote:
    Alan - I'm curious about the Coriolis effect demo, as most of what is claimed about it isn't true (eg., toilets flushing in the opposite direction). Also, being a few inches on one side or the other of the equator should be insignificant to anything but sensitive lab equipment. What did they demonstrate?

I never said it was a valid demonstration and not a false premise : ) Similar ones have been debunked over the years, but one done in 1962 by Dr. Shapiro an Engineering Professor at MIT had the most impact on popular culture. The force at 42° North Latitude in, Massachusetts is “only thirty-millionths that of gravity so you can imagine how small it is only a few feet from the equator. So it is so small that it can be easily overcome by filling, even temperature differences and water impurities,” and is essentially non-existent in a body of water this size to cause the rotation. Shapiro's experiment was much more elaborate and controlled. The water was allowed to settle for 24 hours and it took over 30 minutes to see any motion. His results and those of a team in Australia are routinely challenged.

Like Shapiro's results, some other factors were likely involved, e.g. minor differences in the shape of the cauldron or drain pipe, etc. But, it was a well done slight of hand, especially if you are predisposed to believe the results : ) It was impossible to tell what caused the results. They had two shallow, very wide cauldrons with gently curved bottoms and small drain holes in the center. Each was located about 30' - 40' on each side of the equator. Each was filled with a few inches of water. A small feather or leaf was placed on the surface of the water and observed to be completely stationary before the plug was removed from the bottom. As the water drained it began to swirl slowly- one to the left and one to the right.
  • Options
    And I believe it was also backwards. It had the water going clockwise in the Northern hemisphere and counter clockwise in the Southern hemisphere. It should go counter clockwise around a low in the Norhtern hemisphere.
  • Options
    Sealord wrote:
    And I believe it was also backwards. It had the water going clockwise in the Northern hemisphere and counter clockwise in the Southern hemisphere. It should go counter clockwise around a low in the Norhtern hemisphere.

I could have been! How are the crowds in Panama City?
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Thanks for the explanation, Alan. I'll bet the drain holes are slightly off-center.

If they read Sealords's post, they'll switch the two, then everything should be as it should :-)

Edited to add - My understanding is the coriolis effect is due to the bulge of the earth at the equator. Looked it up and the bulge is about 28 miles (compared to the diameter of the earth through the poles) and that 28 miles is spread out over 4000 miles in each direction N and S from the equator. So it's not a thin bulge along the equator's "dotted line," and any effect shown a few feet from it in total BS.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file