Options

Plastic Bags in Kenya

Anyone recently finishing this K/T tour, could you comment of plastic bags ban in Kenya? We use zip-locs when we travel. Are those allowed? Did you notice any?

Comments

• Options
    Anyone recently finishing this K/T tour, could you comment of plastic bags ban in Kenya? We use zip-locs when we travel. Are those allowed? Did you notice any?

No problem. Ban is on large trash/produce bags.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I have read lots of interesting articles about plastic bags in Kenya recently and they are fascinating. Just google the topic. The best are on the BBC News. One I read said there had been 500 fines so far. It is mainly the supermarket type that are banned, but I recently read that if you appear at the airport with duty free goods, you will be asked to remove them from the bags, which I would have thought would be classed as reusable.
    For our upcoming tour to K and T in December, I believe Tauck mentioned about plastic bags in the paperwork.
    A good alternative to ziplocks are the waterproof 'sacks' you can buy in various sizes. We got ours at Walmart, 3 for about $8, different sizes and colors. We have been using those for recent trips. I put my camera in one instead of a camera bag, it takes up far less room and weighs nothing. I have been putting my shoes in small cotton drawstring bags that my husband would get his business class amenities in when he flew for work. If shoes are dirty I just wash the bags, actually I wash them all ready for the next trip. In addition to the environmental impact, I am glad of the ban because I dislike the way Mr B puts his shoes in separate supermarket bags in his luggage. The shoes are never together in his case.
    The US is way behind on this.
  • Options

Tanzania just joined Kenya in banning plastic bags. There are huge fines....> $30k. Don’t take a chance with any plastic bags including zip lock bags. Order the luggage bags made out of cloth( polyester, etc). Many are waterproof and reasonably priced. Better to be safe than sorry and risk the fine.

• Options

Botswana did the same. Our TD said it did not apply to zip-locks.

• Options
    edited June 2019

Again, the real answer is illusive. Everything I have read, including the actual Kenyan gov't announcement is that the ban is aimed at plastic shopping bags, e.g. Walmart bags, and large trash bags which often find their way into the environment- along roadsides, in waterways, etc. where they do damage and can be consumed by and entangle animals and fish. Also, enforcement has been focused on vendors and importers of these bags, and retailers still using them. Our TD who also does K&T said small ziplock bags are fine. He actually passed out small ziplocks on the day we went to the falls (which are in Zambia) so people could protect their wallets and passports. Go by what your TD says, he is the man expert on the scene. If needed, you'll have an opportunity to dispose of plastic bags before crossing into Botswana.

• Options

Tauck sent a notice advising ziplock bags are not allowed. Tanzania website says ziplock bags are allowed. Play it safe and don't bring any plastic bags.

• Options

I’m not at home just now but I have read the official Tanzania government letter but also read that it was advised to take your 3oz liquids out of zip locks before the plane lands. We are not taking any chances and have already purchased ‘re-usable’ zip lock bags for our upcoming K and T and Rwanda tour. I got them on line but my daughter told me you can get them at places like Target. Also bought even more substantial and larger waterproof bags than mentioned earlier in this thread in February. Hubby usually puts his shoes in supermarket bags so I bought nice nylon type shoe bags too. All available at reasonable prices on line. Don’t want to take chances with individual border control agents who may be in a bad mood that day. We read to check all outside pockets of suitcases for stray forgotten plastic bags. We always carried them just in case of wet swimsuits and the like

• Options

PVC is considered plastic. Just make sure you don't put any food in them, as PVC is toxic to ingest. Food-safe plastic bags are usually PE (polyethylene).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file