"Been There" Virtual Travel Quiz? Round #31

See Round #20 for info about and rules for the contest.

Round #26 won by MCD
Submitted by BKMD. Photo of a suspended orange tree in Old Jaffa, an area at the south end of the Tel Aviv, Israel. Jaffa is thought to be the oldest port in the world, with its history going back 4000 years! This is a work of art by artist Ran Morin, who created the statue in 1993 can be found in the Lion alleyway.

Round #27 won by TravelGuy
Submitted by AlanS. The Sun Gate at Machu Picchu, Peru. 1.2 mi. and 1000' of climb on a rough, rocky, steep, trail from the entrance to the main archaeological site. Peru & the Galapagos Islands.

Round #28 won by AlanS and Portolan.
Submitted by JohnS. Sadhus in Kathmandu, Nepal in front of Pashupatinath Temple (cremation site). The Sadhu's are frequent users of cannabus- smoke it and drink a beverage infused with it. The pictures were taken on the Tauck Northern India and Nepal tour.

Round #29 won by JohnS
Submitted by KathyM. The (formerly McDonald-Randolf) Randolph Hotel in Oxfordshire, England. Episodes of the British TV show inspector Morse were filmed here in the "Morse" Bar and throughout Oxfordshire.

Round #30 won by Claudia Sails
Submitted by Sealord. Peacock Clock at the Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg, Russia. Tauck’s small ship cruise to the Baltic and St. Petersburg.

Round #31 is officially open. Submit your photo in a reply [Leave a Comment] to this announcement.

Comments

• What city is this statue located in? What other historic event is the city famous for?

• One hint, the statue is of Vikings.

• I can't find it by searching online, but I'm thinking I saw that in Reykjavik when I was last there over 20 years ago. As far as what put it on the map, the Fisher-Spassky chess tournament?

• Harder than I thought. One more hint, photographed on a Tauck river cruise.

• I found it with the help of your two clues. I figured about the only place that Vikings were near where Tauck has river cruises would be Normandy. I searched for Viking statues along the Seine and found

Statues of the right bank of the Boieledieu bridge in Rouen in Seine-Maritime

Rouen historical events:

841 - Town besieged by Vikings.
    911 - Rollo takes power.
    912 - Rouen becomes capital of Duchy of Normandy.
    1087 - Death of William the Conqueror at Priory of St Gervase.
    1150 - Founding charter.

• edited April 2020

At first I searched with various modifications of monuments and sculptures of celtic warriors, knights, crusaders, Normans, etc., then after the first hint, on vikings- no luck. I never got around to working in the river aspect. Well done Claudia!

See my additional comments on this one in the Round #32 announcement I just posted.

• Yep, Rouen. Our cruise ship was docked just upriver from the bridge which you had to pass to walk into the city to see the cathedral and to see where Joan of Arc was burned at the stake.

We're big fans of the Viking TV series on the History channel and I found the viking focus in Normandy interesting. Actually suggested to the TD that the tour ought to do more on this since it's so popular now and because the D-day generation on the cruise will make up less and less of the passengers.