Options

First timer questions for potential January, 2022 K&T Classic Safari

OK, my first question is primarily to the Ladies: where do you pee on safari? When you're bouncing around in these safari vehicles, how often do you have opportunities to do what needs to be done and where do you do it? In the bush? Port-a-potties? ???

My 2nd question is for anyone who has stayed in the tent camp at the Masai Mara National Reservation: Are the tents air conditioned? They look like canvas tents with flaps, not doors. I can't imagine they have AC and I'd like to know what prevents animals and small critters from climbing into your bed with you. Just wondering.

I've read most of the Tauck blog posts on this trip but haven't seen (or maybe missed) many comments on timing. We expect to be hot anytime of year and as transplanted Floridians, we've learned to deal with heat. At least, we think we can. Does anyone think January should be avoided?

Haven't seen many comments about bugs. Do we need to bring bugspray? How annoying are the bugs?

I very much appreciate all of the very helpful information that appears on these Tauck blogs. Kudos to all of you who take the time to share your thoughts and experiences with the rest of us!

Comments

• Options

Sorry. I’m not a lady but I can answer your questions. There are some planned ‘rest’ breaks, but if you must go you tell your driver you need to ‘check the spare tire’. He will find a safe place to stop, and you ‘go’ behind the safari vehicle.

I’ve never done January. We go in June. It is high altitude, so not as hot as Florida. In June it is actually cold enough for jackets in the morning, and warming in the mid-day. We never had bug ‘problems’ in June. We did have a bug the size of a rat in our room on our first visit to Arusha. I opened the back door and let him out. The tents are not air conditioned, but they have screens to keep the critters out. These are very nice tents.

• Options
    edited September 2021

Marie, SeaLord has answered the peewee question, don’t worry, it is not a big deal.
    Air conditioning, it doesn’t get hot enough at night to need A/C. Remember you are on a plateau and it can be downright cold at certain times of the year.
    I’ve been in December, early January. In 2019/2020 season at that time of year, the short rains which normally have ended by late December, continued and we had muddy conditions and very flooded tracks at times near the Four Seasons, I think it was there. But…..we saw a very wet and miserable male lion which was unusual, a mother cheetah with six Cubs, all soaking wet and a group of elephants frolicking around.
    We did not see bugs as such, but please wear long sleeve tops and full length pants to avoid mosquito bites. We never go to Africa without taking Malaria meds. At times, tsetse flies can be bothersome, sprays do not help you from these.

• Options

When we went on safari (it was a specialized birding trip, not with Tauck) and we made a "relief" stop where there were no rest stop buildings, we were instructed to stray no more than an arm's length from the back of the vehicle. First women, then men. On the recommendation of friends, my wife got a Freshette brand plastic funnel thingy to minimize the need to pull down pants in front of other safari participants. It worked quite well for her, was light and easy to pack along. Her friend's advice: practice using it in the shower before your trip. Sorry if this is too graphic, but just trying to be helpful. My wife also has one of a different brand, and doesn't like it as well

Regarding bugs, we were quite nervous about mosquito-borne diseases and tsetse flies. Our trip was March 31 to April 10, and included Arusha, Arusha National Park, Tarangire NP, Serengeti NP, and Ngorogoro Crater. We encountered exactly two mosquitoes on the entire trip--just not a problem at all. One fellow traveler was bitten by a tsetse, but he had lots of exposed skin and a blue t-shirt (blue attracts the flies). He was just asking for it. I also killed one fly in the Land Cruiser one day. Basically, the dreaded tsetses were not a problem either. We bought lots of bug repellent and insect guard clothing that we really didn't need but I would take some along just in case. Insect guard clothing seems like a good idea because you are going to be wearing something anyway, might as well have it protect you.Of course, your experience may be different based on season.

And, if you tend to be a fretful traveler, try not to worry. Africa is about as foreign a place as an American can visit. But the areas you will visit are well-organized to accommodate travelers, Tauck will have you in good hands, people we encountered were generally friendly and welcoming, and the experience will undoubtedly be one of the highlights of your life.

Inshala badai! (That is "good wishes" in Swahili.) if you learn about 30 common words and phrases (I took a printed cheat sheet) the people you meet will be even more welcoming!

• Options

Agree with above re bugs...and reminder, stick to khaki clothes, as white attracts any wayward insects there may be.

• Options
    edited September 2021

Ah, let me be clear on what I meant by bugs. In six visits to Africa, we have at times encountered lots of mosquitoes and on one occasion lots of tsetse flies. I was bitten thru a sock which only had one blues stripe, but tsetse love blue. It hurt, like a horse fly and of course they can carry sleeping sickness. Sprays don’t work on tsetse. We always take malaria meds and have no side effects, many people don’t bother, but you have to remember that if you get a fever anytime as long as a year after travel, malaria must be ruled out. Having been acquainted with a tropical medicine dr here in Philly, he does see patients that have contracted malaria on African vacations. We don’t like to risk it, it can hide in your body for the rest of your life.

• Options

Ew. Did not know that. Thanks for that important (albeit creepy) info!

• Options

Very helpful info! A huge thank you to all of you. I’m still a bit puzzled on the logistics of peeing in a funnel thingy. Ugh, I never in a million years thought I’d be chatting about this subject with total strangers. But it’s critical need to know info. Lol.

• Options

I was on this trip in July 2019. We may have been an unusual group but no one needed to ‘check the tires! Usually We were away from a restroom for less than 3 hours at a time - plan accordingly. I was with a bunch of coffee drinkers. After breakfast, we gave ourselves sufficient time from our last sip to leaving on the jeeps. The only time we were away from a restroom for a prolonged time was the morning of the hot air balloon. But they set up a restroom in the brush (no need for a funnel!)
    Don’t worry. This was a FANTASTIC trip!!

• Options

I’m one of those who needs to know how far away the nearest facilities are, so I too was nervous about K&T. Fortunately the planned rest stops were often enough. It was comforting to have the “spare tire” option, though.

Bugs were not an issue on our October trip.

• Options

Just an FYI for others with the same questions I had on the logistics of using female urinals. Amazon and YouTube have videos! I guess that shouldn’t be a surprise. Lol. The one on Amazon for the SuAmiga brand was especially helpful. So again … thank you forum community (especially Rick S) for enlightening those of us who were in the dark about this subject!

• Options
    edited September 2021

On our K&T we had a unique experience. A few travelers had to go so our driver radioed to the other drivers and scampered a bit and we found a free standing built restroom in the middle of nowhere with doors and windows etc. We all got out of our vehicles to go inside and came back out and got into our vehicle just in time to watch a number of lionesses go inside and just stay. We watched them take over the bathroom just as the other 4 vehicle passengers arrived hoping - without success - to use the restroom.

• Options

O. M. G. And LOL Virginia Travelers, that’s quite a story!

• Options

I will be forever grateful for the new restroom (in 2015) on Observation Hill in Amboseli :D

• Options
    edited September 2021

Alan - so that's the name of the restroom! I can't remember if Sealord was in our vehicle or not. If he wasn't he had a long wait for the lionesses to leave!

Marie2021 - by the end of the trip almost everyone will "kick the tires" at least once. When you return from K&T you will also have great stories to remember and tell others. That's why it is such an incredible trip!

• Options
    edited September 2021

I was on that trip with Virginia Travelers. When we got there the lions had taken over the entire rest stop and the guy from the beverage stand was trapped in the bathroom. We went to a different rest stop.

We were in a different vehicle than Virginia Travelers.

• Options

For all the ladies: www.tinklebelle.com You'll be thanking me. Marie, you will have a wonderful time. Africa is majestic.

• Options

Observation Hill in Amboseli National Park with hilltop shelter. As shown on Google Maps, the restroom was partway up the foot path just beyond the parking lot.

Sign at the shelter:

Mt. Kilimanjaro was obscured by clouds for the entire time we were there so I took a close-up photo of the picture on the sign! :D:D

During one "rest stop" on the Botswana, SA, Zambia tour we used two thickets- The "Ladies" thicket and the "Men's" thicket. :) Sorry, no pics. :D

• Options

I was on K and T in June/July. We did not have bug problems, including tsetse flies. British gives good advice on checking with your doctor about medication for malaria. I have had malaria (not from this trip) and you do not want to get it. I had 106º temperature, was put into an ice water/alcohol bath, and was sweating and shivering at the same time. I didn't know if it was winter or summer. :#

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file