Queen Nefertari's Egypt is coming to New Orleans - March 18 - July 22, 2022

This is a treat! I am so excited. I remember seeing King Tut exhibit in 1977 at NOMA when I was not quite a teenager yet and now I will have the opportunity to see Queen Nefertari.

Don’t miss your chance to see Queen Nefertari’s Egypt.

Queen Nefertari, the royal wife of Pharaoh Ramesses II (reigned 1279–13 BCE), is linked to some of the most magnificent monuments of ancient Egypt. Appearing in sculpture and images, and identified in inscriptions on buildings associated with Ramesses II, she is also known through a complete temple consecrated to her in Abu Simbel, beside the one dedicated to her husband. Her tomb is the largest and most richly decorated in the Valley of the Queens. It was discovered in the early 20th century by a team of archaeologists led by Ernesto Schiaparelli, then director of the Museo Egizio in Turin.

The team’s discoveries and the role of Nefertari and other powerful women in ancient Egypt are brought to life through the 230 exceptional objects in this exhibition, drawn from the collection of the Museo Egizio. These include statues, jewelry, vases, papyrus, steles, wooden coffins, and stone sarcophagi, as well as tools and various items of daily life from the artisan village of Deir-el-Medina, home to those who created the royal tombs. These astonishing treasures showcase the legacy of the royal wives, sisters, daughters, and mothers of pharaohs, and sometimes even pharaohs themselves, as well as the female artists who contributed to the creation of these stunning objects.

Queen Nefertari’s Egypt is organized by the Museo Egizio, Turin, and StArt, in collaboration with the New Orleans Museum of Art. The presentation in New Orleans is made possible by the generous support of the Eugenie and Joseph Jones Family Foundation and the Consulate General of Italy in Houston.

The collection is from the Egyptian Museum in Turin, Italy....perhaps its coming to a museum near you :)

Comments

• Saw King Tut exhibit in NOLA back in 1977 and it was fabulous… can’t wait to see Queen Nefertiti.
    Was in NOLA this past weekend…. sure hope the hurricane debris is picked up before next summer. The city looks pretty bad.

• ChicagoTravelers who visited QV66, Nefartari's VOQ tomb, in early 2020 posted it will knock your socks off (Tut's tomb in the VOK not so much.) That is why they charge 1400 EGT ($90) to enter her tomb. I guess it pays to be the most beloved wife of Ramesses the Great! :D

ChicagoTravelers thought the tomb of Seti I, KV17, was the best of the ones visited in VOK. I guess we only get to see Tut's and 3 others selected by the guides/site officials(?).

• PureLuxury
    ... I remember seeing King Tut exhibit in 1977 at NOMA when I was not quite a teenager yet ...

I started to read your post and stumbled when I got to the point above. You're such a Babe in the Woods. :D Geez, you won't even be Medicare eligible for years!!

I hope the exhibit is everything you hope for.

• Smiling Sam
    ...You're such a Babe in the Woods. :D Geez, you won't even be Medicare eligible for years!!

Smiling Sam...you crack me up :D . Yes, I have another decade before I qualify for Medicare B) . I know I am an incredibly lucky lady to travel to all of these wonderful places. This is the reason I schedule land tours and am saving the riverboat cruises for when the joints may not be as cooperative to climbing and walking on uneven grounds.

I'll always remember the words of my Plumber. In his younger years, he was in the Navy and traveled to many parts of the world. He established a successful business and promised his wife they would travel the world when he retired. Well, of course, you know how the story ends...both he and his wife have tons of money and time on their hands; however, their health is not the greatest. He is so sad that he cannot travel to his beloved Greece. Every time I see him, he tells me he is so glad I started traveling when I was young. Don't put it off.

• eleonore
    Was in NOLA this past weekend…. sure hope the hurricane debris is picked up before next summer. The city looks pretty bad

eleonore...Thank you for visiting to my beloved city. I hope you were greeted with the warmest hospitality, and had an opportunity to have a great meal and listen to wonderful music. The city was hit pretty hard by Hurricane Ida. Her forces were greater than Hurricane Katrina. We were blessed it was a wind event and not a rain event.

I must ask, what part of the city were you in where you saw leftover hurricane debris?

• I lived in NOLA all my life[ until 2 years ago and lived through Katrina and many others. St Charles Ave and the U[ptown area, where I grew up, had piles of debris still visible everywhere, The streets are in deplorable condition, traffic lights still inoperable two months after storm, I just wonder where the city's priorities are. It makes me very sad to see my city in such bad shape
    Queen Nefertiti exhibit would be a great draw for tourism in the city but can NOLA attract tourist to a city that has so many challenges.

• I saw this exhibit in February when it was at The Kimball Art Museum in Ft Worth, TX. Fabulous. Be sure to rent the audio guide. Spent the whole morning taking in the exhibit. Soon I’ll get to see the tomb from which these items were found.😊Happy feet!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file