I know lots of people don’t bother with souvenirs from their trips but I enjoy bringing back something that’s a nice reminder. Post cards are cheap, lightweight and often give photo shots we can’t take. I also have an embarrassing collection of frig magnets. Here’s some of the nice things we’ve brought home:
Rhone River Cruise – in Arles and Avignon I bought lavender products and table linens – there were even made in France! Also got a bit carried away at the Valrhona chocolate store near Tournon sur Rhone.
Rhine/Moselle River Cruise – I’ve never been a fan of Riesling wines until this tour – If you find one you like I’d recommend buying – in Heidelberg there is a famous chocolate called the Student Kiss – we tried to buy some but the tiny shop got crowded – our TD’s gave us some and I have to say they were soso. This tour was our first visit to a Käthe Wohlfahrt Christmas store – you can spend a little or a lot.
Seine River Cruise – the usual touristy stuff though I enjoyed the Norman humor about their rainy weather – the hard cider and Calvados is excellent if you like that – I also bought chocolates at the goat farm which were good but unpasteurized so don’t plan to take home – lots of art postcards especially along the coast.
England, Scotland Wales Land Tour – tea towels everywhere – I bought one at each major stop and actually use them (with the stains to prove it) – lots of teapots too but I didn’t need those. The duty free shopping at Heathrow is excellent (and pretty unavoidable). About the only thing Heathrow has going for it in my biased opinion.
Ireland – two things I should have bought in Dublin but didn’t – an Aran sweater at the shop on Grafton street and Bewleys Breakfast tea also on Grafton street though I did find the later on Amazon - I never found as good a selection or prices on sweaters after Dublin so waiting was a mistake – other than that I found lots items with sheep humor and some wool fabric – we’ve also started buying Jameson whisky back home.
Budapest to Amsterdam River Cruise – lots and lots of paprika in Budapest – some bought at the market and some the TDs gave us – again opportunities to buy wine which my husband did at the Price Bishops Residenz – Silvaner grape wine – thankfully our bags were under the maximum weight limit to get them home. Was tempted to buy the special coffee cups in Rudesheim but resisted it. If you do want one, the shops closest to the river had the cheapest.
Switzerland Crown Jewel – loads of chocolate – if you miss it at the chocolate shops and tourist sites the major grocery stores (Coop and Migros) also have excellent selections – I bought lots but was somewhat careful as I knew I’d be schlepping it thru 2 more weeks in France on the next tour. Did not buy a watch though they are everywhere as well.
Normandy, Brittany, Loire Valley Land Tour – the most fun shopping was mostly in Brittany. Butter cookies (sables), fancy salts, and caramels. Also lots of striped (nautical) clothing.
P. S. Amsterdam – we’ve been twice and both times couldn’t decide on Delftware. However, if you fly KLM business class they give you miniature Delft house filled with gin. Most expensive souvenir ever!