Options

Tipping tour directors

2»

Comments

• Options

I agree with kfnknfzk - "What matters to me is making sure I fairly compensate them". On our last tour in May to Italy, there were two couples traveling together that did not tip our wonderful TD. I think this was their first trip so may not have been aware of how and when to tip (not really a good excuse), but the TD mentioned many times when the last time we will be seeing her was to be. We only knew the 2 couples didn't tip because she was walking back to the hotel with us and was quite upset.

• Options

I don't think anyone needs to worry about what currency to use for a tip- most Tauck TD's have been doing this for quite awhile. They know the best way to handle whatever currency they get with the least amount of hassle and exchange fees.

• Options

Today the dollar and the Euro at par. So the currency a TD wants may not even be what you think or may not make much difference to them all things considered.

• Options

That is really sad, SueMS. That’s a lot of income she lost, especially when the groups are so small right now. It’s a wonder how clueless some people are.

• Options

I'm surprised that the tour director mentioned several times when the last time would be that you would see her, SueMS. I've never had a tour director do that on my 12 Tauck tours. I have had them mention when we would be seeing the bus driver for the last time.

• Options

The TD”s quite often hint when they will last be seeing you in my experience. We know, that many times people do not tip. That’s why I hate tipping, I worked as hard for my money as the rest of people out there, so why should I be paying more for a trip than others appear to do by them not tipping or not tipping enough

• Options

You can pay with dollars in Kenya, but you cannot pay with Tanzania schillings. I discovered that on a precious trip. If you are going to tip in local currency, you best find out where the ‘tipee’ actually lives. I know our last TD lives in Kissimmee, Florida so tipping in Kenya or Tanzania schillings would not be appropriate, and using hundred dollar bills is not a problem in Florida, and they take up a lot less space than a pile of small bills. We had an ‘assistant’ for half the trip who comes from Cape Town, and lives in Nairobi, so when he takes a tour as TD he might prefer Kenya schillings … or maybe not. I use dollars or euros, unless in the UK where I use pounds. The Brits get a little ‘snippy’ if you give them dollars. (;-)

• Options

Whether they exchange it may depend on where they actually live. Very few of the TDs we have had on land tours actually lived in that country. For ESW, he was an American that lived in CA. For Ireland and France, both were English, and our Swiss TD was Polish. The bus drivers do tend to live in that country.

• Options

Our TD for Ireland, was originally from the UK, but lives in New Zealand. Our TD for Treasures of the Aegean was Venezuelan (lived a time in the US?) but now lives in Nice, France. Our TD for Botswana is Canadian from Lunenberg! The list goes on . . . .

• Options

As Alan said last week, “dead horse” already.

• Options

Does anyone know WHY TDs are tipped rather than receiving appropriate compensation for their work?

Wouldn't it make more sense for them to be paid appropriately by Tauck? I would be glad to pay more for this to be included in my tour. This way, there would be no concern for the TD to worry about being stiffed. I suppose people could still add a little for extraordinary service.

Just returned from a Silversea cruise where everything was included. We did give a small gratuity to our cabin steward and butler, but felt confident that they were appropriately compensated by the cruise line.

• Options

SGF
    7:41AM
    Does anyone know WHY TDs are tipped rather than receiving appropriate compensation for their work?

I would hasten a guess that this allows Tauck to keep the tour price a few hundred dollars cheaper. I'm sure that Tauck has marketing data of some sort that says something to the effect of, For every additional $TBD in tour price, sales for that tour are reduced by TBD%.

Minimizing the tour price allows Tauck to maximize their tour sales.

• Options

I can only think this is just all the American way, as I call it, that people apparently will only give their best effort if they think they might get a tip. The culture I was raised in, I just don’t get it.
    Tauck tour directors are wonderful dedicated people. I hope they would be the same whatever the tipping rule. I can tell you that on the Small groups tours, they are paid more since their tips will be less than a Classic tour. That’s why most of the extra price for the Small groups tours is generally about $1000 more, a lot of that goes to the TD, not the tour components although sometimes they stay in different hotels.
    On Tauck Small ship cruises, River cruises and Bridges tours, all tips are included in the price.
    All the questions about tipping on these forums, it just proves that people do not read the information that Tauck sends them. It always states clearly who might be approached to be tipped and the suggested amounts. As far as drivers are concerned, depending on the tour, sometimes the tip is included sometimes not. This usually depends if you have the same driver throughout the tour or not. On our current tour, because of Covid and equalizing the available work in Alaska, we had two bus drivers. We keep money aside for tips in envelopes, so we had to divide the money up. Actually we ripped generously., they were awesome. And yes, as I often suspect, some people did not tip. So many people mistakenly think everything is included, which is of course what Tauck says/implies, unless you bother to read every part of the information right there on the website or in the paperwork they send you.
    Perhaps if more people communicated their desire to have tips included, Tauck could change it. But raising prices makes them look even more expensive. The power of suggestion and communicating with Tauck about tour components certainly works, for example, on our current tour, Grand Alaska, the non drinkers complained about subsidizing drinkers in the past, so now there is no drink for free as much as you like. We all instead get a $250 credit that can be spent on anything on the ship. A change from when we actually booked the tour.

• Options

TD’s range from adequate to excellent. Tipping helps insure they work towards the excellent end of the spectrum.

• Options
    edited July 2022

The horse is resurrected! :/

To paraphrase a legal response, "asked and answered" too many times and likely never to be satisfactorily answered.

• Options

So sorry AlanS - I've been in the Svalbard - just catching up. And now I've been flagged x 2! 🙄

• Options

SGF, just ignore the flaggers. They have no life.

As Alan said, this has been discussed lots of times without agreement. There are certain subjects here where people just end up in different camps

• include all tips vs tip for better service
    • small groups are worth the price - no they aren't
    • can't enjoy a cruise without a suite cabin - doesn't matter you aren't in it much anyway
    • want to dress up - can't be bothered
    • river cruises are the best - only want land tours

I'd find it easier if the tips were included and know some TDs love their jobs and would work hard anyway. But also some who probably do need the incentive. No definitive answer.

• Options

On our Antarctica ‘cruise’, tips included, we were up close and personal with all of our TD’s. On our Blue Danube cruise, tips included, we barely had contact with the TD and assistants at all. The Danube trip was still a great trip, but the TD’s dod not add anything that caused us to remember their names. We ‘know’ Bill, Rob, Seth, Susan, Stacie. Some got tips, and some were ‘included’. But, they all were great.