Useful article on testing Covid positive abroad

Comments

• Thanks, British. I had no idea "24 hours" now means simply anytime the day before travel. Bureaucrats can be so imprecise.

• Thank you British

• The Fed guidelines have been in days not hours. Our TD in Switzerland kept thinking it was hours and I had to correct her on it. For most people it didn't matter but family members were staying extra days with us before we headed to France. Tour ended Wed and they were flying home Sat AM so as long as the test was done Wed they were fine. She was convinced it had to be done early on Wed before the test centers were open.

• Claudia, I’m a little confused. For return to the US, Covid testing must be the day before departure

• Yes, they needed to be tested on Friday if headed home on Saturday am. Unless this was under the previous guidelines which were 72 hours.

• Last year it was 3 days. It's only recently it was changed to one day.

• The rule changed on December 6, 2021. I know because it went into effect when I was in Cairo. Our group tested after lunch the last day and we had results before the farewell dinner. It was $20.00 more for expedited results.

• It was $147 ea. for our group! Inflation! :#

• That’s what I paid too, Alan.

• We recently came back from Morocco. The Tauck literature said that the antigen test (for the flight home) would cost about $150 and would have to be paid in local currency (if I remember correctly). However, it only cost about $30/person and we got the results in about 2 hours. I think we paid in local currency.

• I'm researching just bringing the at-home telemed administered and approved rapids antigen tests for our family of 4 for our upcoming Bridges tour. I just got off the phone from Tauck and was informed that the PCR test was previously running ~ $150. The nice representative advised me this might be outdated information. I think it clearly is as we do not need a PCR to reenter the US. Do any of you that have traveled recently know what the projected costs of the Tauck arranged COVID tests are to come home to the US? I'm seeing both $150 and $30 reported above. If the costs are $30 in Budapest - I'll be happy to pay that and save the packing of the tests and need to coordinate a video call. If the costs are really $150 (for PCR or Antigen regardless), I'll likely pack the tests and save $500.

• edited April 2022

The cost is country/city/vendor specific and can change. On J&E, some, on a tour two or so weeks before ours, paid less than $50 e.a., ours was $147 e.a. and could be paid with CC. We got tested a day later since we had a post stay, but the tech the doctor sent would not (could not?) accept CC, and didn't want local currency, so we paid in USD, only $140, still too high- some countries and vendors prefer USD over their own, less stable, currency.

I contemplated using the telemed tests but didn't trust the internet, didn't want to spend the time, didn't trust the availability of a place to print quality results, or acceptance of digital results, etc. Even though expensive, the test by the Tauck vendor was certainly more convenient for us - they did it right in our room at 8:00 a.m. so we could get on the road and go touring with a guide. The digital and printed results with QR we waiting for us upon our return from touring.

• As Alan said, the price and procedure depends on the country. In Switzerland last fall the tests were done by appt at a local test center, could be charged and I think about 40 euros. In Paris the TD arranged for a tech to come to the hotel and it was 50 euros cash. That was all before the U.S.changed the requirements.

Make sure if you do opt for the diy tests whether it has to be by pc connection or smartphone.

• I think we paid $25 or $30 in Costa Rica, it was all well organized and efficient and those who didn’t wear masks much were positive!

• We were in Switzerland at the end of September on Tauck and the tests were free.  The testing was done right outside the hotel and it was fast and easy.  Very well organized by the TD.

• It was €60 in Belgium. I’m told Amsterdam was €35.

• Noreen, you were lucky on the free tests. Those on our tour just before yours had to pay for them. Hope you tipped your TD well.

• A free test may have been a function of the TD ending the tour with a lot left in the incidental / lagniappe fund they all have. Or it might have been compensation for missing out on a scheduled activity or some unplanned inconvenience- sometimes you'll know, sometimes not. Except paying for a COVID test, we have experienced many variations.

• The TD we had was nice but not the most experienced we've ever had. She was the one I had to twice explain the difference between the US 3 day test requirement (2021) and 72 hours required by others. She also failed to help one of our fellow travelers with some changes they needed to make at the end of the tour. I think she was a bit pre-occupied with some personal matters.

• We were extremely fortunate to have such an intelligent and interesting TD. There were sixteen of us on this tour and right from the very beginning she informed us that we would all be wearing masks and she would rotate our seats on the bus daily. We only had one couple that were difficult when it came to wearing masks on the bus but she told them in no uncertain terms that they would be removed from the tour. She mentioned that it was not her or Tauck making the rules but the Swiss government.

Claudia - unfortunately she was out of work for two years and most of the people in the group were more than happy to give her more than the suggested amount by Tauck including us.

Alan - I am not sure why the tests were free.

• Noreen,
    Who was your TD? I will be on the Swiss tour this September.

• Windy01 - Her name is Carrie Myers and if I remember correctly she lives in Holland with her boyfriend. Her lectures were very interesting and she discussed the past history of Switzerland and the current government regarding laws and taxes.  She was a gem!

• Thanks, Noreen.

• Carrie was on our Holland Belgium cruise last week. Yes, she was excellent.

• Our Covid Antigen test on Savoring France last week was 30Euros and paid on our ship account. Had the results in a few hours, paperwork after dinner under our door! Very efficient and negative!

• My husband and I just returned from the Brussels-Amsterdam river boat cruise. COVID-19 testing was done on the ship (antigen testing) 0 the night before travel to the US, at traveler's cost. There were COVID-19 positives by the way. We stayed in Amsterdam one extra day at the Kimpton De wit (tauck hotel). Before we left, Tauck told us that our tour director would help us arrange a COVID-19 test at or near our hotel. When we asked our cruise director, she pretty much told us to ask at our hotel. You are on your own once you leave the ship. Before the trip, we purchased the antigen approved (BIOMAX) tests from E-Med. We brought them along. When we arrived at the hotel, about half of our ship had to line up to register for check in (around 9:30 am), but you could not get into your room until 4 pm. We were lucky enough to get tot he front of the line and asked to get into the business center. The staff was very helpful and we took the test there. You need a good internet connection, which the hotel had. Took 15 minutes or so and you have to register in a few places, but we did that before we left. Got the results right away, took a screen shot and uploaded info into the UNITED app to check in. Not an easy process, but it worked. By the way, we were not asked once on our trip for our vaccination card.