Home visit

I see we will visit a local family home. Do we bring a small token gift? Thanks

Comments

• No. Not required.

• It certainly is a gracious gesture to discreetly give a gift to your hosts. Perhaps a small box of candy or a simple card with a sincere "thank you." I would recommend giving the gift to your tour director so she/he can forward it on.

Not very many people think of this. Thank you!

• None suggested, none expected. Families are compensated by Tauck. Our host was the director and his family members played in the local band In their little village of Engelhartszell- a competition thing in Austria, at least in that region, so Tauck may donate to that. We were never told the specifics, but no gratuity or token was ever mentioned or requested.

• The couple who owned the dairy farm in Ireland we visited I believe was paid for visits but also given their choice of Tauck tours. Was kind of amusing. She wanted to come to the U.S.but he didn't. I think they eventually took a river cruise.

• I'm so with you on this one, British. The tipping thing has really gotten out of hand--everywhere with everything all the time.

• I appreciate that the original poster was trying to be thoughtful. They appear to be new to the forum and this is likely their first tour. We were all newbies once.

Many Tauck tours - especially land tours - incorporate some sort of visit and meal at a the home of someone with a chance to chat with them. It's nice but it's also a part of the itinerary that Tauck (and we) pay for. In the Loire valley last year we had dinner, a tour and a hunting dog demonstration at a Baron's chateau. Beforehand our TD (who is british) told us we needed to dress up because we were visiting a Baron. Being Americans we probably didn't have the same deference that she had. We did dress nicely and were polite and thoughtful guests, but no one really dressed up (no sport coats, ties, panty hose, heels).

• edited May 2022

Actually, Barons are pretty low on the totem pole below Dukes, Earls and Viscounts and being British she was probably joking you on the dress up. I don’t defer to anyone, we are all equal aren’t we!
    KAndrzewski, welcome to the forum, sorry to take your question off subject. It really is up to you what you do, I’ve never seen gifts given, Tauck pay people good money to be a tour component and we pay a premium for the tours as a result.

• When I used to travel with OAT back in the day when I needed to be very frugal with my travel dollars, they always had a home visit in their itineraries and always "suggested" that you bring the host/hostess a small token from your town or city. You were never obligated, of course. They suggested perhaps a postcard, magnet or a little something that was unique to your town or City. Many of the hosts really appreciated the little gifts and proudly displayed them in their sitting or dining room. The little gift token was typically used as a conversation starter to tell the host a bit about yourself or where you lived. I always thought it was very thoughtful. Many people brought t-shirts and it was rather humorous when we visited a family in an area of the Amazon in Peru and family members were wearing Mickey Mouse T-Shirts and also displayed alot of Disney merchandise. I guess they had alot of visitors from Florida.

• Yes, I traveled with OAT, just the once . We were asked to take things for a school visit that did not materialize. No the school was not on holiday. Some people were really annoyed. The TD took the stuff. It was the last tour ever of that tour,, the TD was not from that country, yes, left a bad taste in my mouth amongst other things for that company.

• edited May 2022

Great post travel maven.

Tauck has never suggested offering a small "thank you" gift, nor is doing so considered a gratuity. Some of us simply wish to extend a heartfelt "thank you" to the family who opened up their home. It is a matter of personal choice.

Whether KAndrezejewski is new or not to Tauck travel has no bearing on thoughtfulness.

• Being new to Tauck tours does in fact have a bearing on your expectations of the company and what you believe is expected of you. Our first tour we tipped our transport driver and the hotel porter because we didn't realize that Tauck already did that. The more tours under your belt the more you learn.

• Not our first Tauck tour. Thank you all for your input.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file