Options

Drone photography on Tauck tours

A question on the off chance that anyone reading this forum has used or have been on a tour with anyone who has used a drone for aerial photography.

We are booked on a Classic Ireland Small Groups tour for August and I am considering borrowing our Son’s mini drone to take some aerial photos and videos. There is a ton of scenery in Ireland that would lend itself to aerial photography. The Tauck Ireland starting page has a bunch of drone scenes on the introduction video.

The small newer drones are less than 250 grams (about 8.8 oz) which don’t have to be registered in most places. They are capable of taking some pretty spectacular pictures and videos. What are thoughts on this? Would I be wasting my time and small amount of luggage space take a drone?

Comments

• Options

I suggest you contact Tauck directly about this option and how they would feel about it.

• Options
    edited June 2022

I know for certain that they are prohibited in Antarctica. As said above, I would contact Tauck about that one. I know they would be difficult to impossible in East Africa cuz you are rarely allowed out of the vehicle, not to mention the effect the drones might have on the animals. I would not want to have a frightened lion three or four feet away from me. That distance might close rapidly.

• Options

I can't comment on the legality of using drones in other countries, but for the safety, privacy and respect for Tauck travelers, as well as the host country, I would not condone the use of drones on a tour. I hope Tauck would agree. Besides, if I recall correctly, you take such nice photos with a camera.

• Options
    edited June 2022

Definitely call Tauck but also try googling something like Rules for flying drones in Ireland

Here is an example. https://drone-laws.com/drone-laws-in-ireland/

• Options

I have to admit the idea of video of the Cliffs of Moher zooming in on our group would be pretty awesome.

• Options

I know drones are banned at US national parks and some other scenic sites. And at scenic sites I've been to where they aren't prohibited, the noise and concern for it falling on someone bother many people.