Options

PCR test and extra insurance

Greetings seasoned Tauck travelers! I am still searching for a PCR test that will allow me to make a future TeleMed appointment at the time of purchase. Additionally, I am wondering what price range to expect for an additional insurance policy to cover medical expenses should I need to quarantine Cape Town. Tauck’s $1,000 trip delay insurance seems insufficient. USAA quoted me a price of $2,800 which I think a bit pricey. I could use that kind of money as a nest egg for my next Tauck tour in 2024 (she says optimistically!). Thanks in advance. Rebecca

Comments

• Options

You can get a medical only policy (and upgrade the medical) from Travelex. I agree, Tauck's insurance is insufficient in the medical expenses area.

• Options

Thank you, manycruises1

• Options

Ladybombay, the Points Guy website has an extensive article about the different tests. It was updated fairly recently.

On insurance - you need to discern between medical expenses i.e. medical treatment, hospital, etc and incidental expenses like hotel and meals should you have to quarantine. The old Tauck policy covered up to $20,000 Medical Expenses ($50,000 for the ones since Jul 2021).

Before you settle on what you need, I'd recommend doing some research about quarantine requirements, hotel prices, etc to get an idea how much this might all cost you if worst case you have to quarantine 10 days.

• Options

Claudia Sails, you are a most welcome fountain of information. Happy Traves!

• Options

Trip delay insurance is for your trip being delayed starting as far as I understood it. I don’t think it covers staying on longer became of Covid. I’m not sure either whether that counts as trip interruption

• Options

Thanks, British. A USAA representative finally explained the difference between trip interruption and trip delay. I was able to purchase a very reasonable plan to cover my daily expenses should I have to quarantine in Cape Town.

• Options

I've downloaded the actually policy document and read the sections for Trip Interruption and Trip Delay. Darned if I can figure out which would apply to covid quarantine. Hopefully some who have filled recently might give us all the results.

• Options

Before you go out and buy insurance, check what you might already have. For example, if you booked the trip with a premium credit card, it will likely include insurance coverage for trip cancellation, delay, medical, etc.

• Options

Claudia, the USAA rep I spoke with told me a COVID quarantine is considered trip delay, not trip interruption.

• Options

We’ve been USAA members for over 50 years and they are pretty good, but not so much since they opened membership to almost anybody, even those who played with GI Joe figures 😲. In a literal sense, having to quarantine is neither a delay nor an interruption- it is an involuntary, premature termination of your tour.

• Options

We went thru USAA for the insurance on our first Tauck tour. At that time, 2014, USAA wasn't actually the insurer. I found their insurance cost more. I've not used them since. Have had nothing but good luck with them on everything else.

• Options

@AlanS I've been a USAA member for 53 years and I agree with you. USAA is not the same as when I started with them.

I don't think USAA ever wrote travel insurance themselves. They redirect you to "Travel Insured International", if I recall correctly. I've had good experience with Travel Insured.