Yet another TIPPING question -what currency if your tour goes to countries with different currencies

2»

Comments

• Please note: Although gratuities represent the majority of your Tauck Director's compensation, our
    policy prohibits Tauck Directors from directly soliciting gratuities.

****Why is it that they don't pay living wages? I wish they would just include it as part of the total cost and be done with it.****

• Interesting, I had missed your initial point. The Egyptian pound has taken a big hit in the last year and is expected to drop further. I guess the TDs and drivers would rather have dollars.

• I just went thru my green books to fin tipping info for a tour with unstable/high inflation local currencies. In my case, that's Patagonia in 2018. Both Chile and Argentina fit the bill.

The books recommends 10 USD per day. or an equivalent amount in local currency.

I wonder why Egypt is different. Maybe feedback from TDs related to all unstable currencies in the last few years?

• edited August 2022

Ken from Vegas
    3:33PM
    Interesting, I had missed your initial point. The Egyptian pound has taken a big hit in the last year and is expected to drop further. I guess the TDs and drivers would rather have dollars.

Our local private guide wanted USD.

The local doc doing our go-home COVID test (the day after everyone else had been tested) also wanted USD. The tech sent to do the test wouldn't / couldn't accept credit like was done for everyone else the previous day. I didn't want to give up my USD since I needed it to pay and tip our private guide, so I offered to get some EGP from the hotel ATM. The tech called the doc- he didn't want that either. I did a recount and was able to pay in USD, but that shows you just how much they want USD over EGP!!

• Our local private guide wanted USD

AlanS...it appears they had no choice but to accept credit card or EGP when the Tauck TD was on site as they administered the test. In my opinion, they took advantage of the situation--you couldn't say no as you needed the test to return home. They were well aware you could obtain USD.

• When we were in Jordan in May, we were required to pay for our test in cash (USD) as well. With our impending K/T tour, we will be bringing sufficient USDs for the private tour we booked for the day before our safari begins as well as for tips, the TD gratuity and other modest needs. Otherwise, we will use a credit card. It still results in bringing more cash than we usually carry. Fortunately, USD is the preferred and widely accepted currency in K/T.

• I am 13 days out from our trip and I never received a final document. Should I be concerned? Remind me of tipping policies:: $10/person/per day for the tour director and how much for the bus driver?

• edited August 2022

Gremban
    10:19PM
    I am 13 days out from our trip and I never received a final document. Should I be concerned? . . . .

YES!! There is a lot of info in the final documents. Weeks ago you should have received an email with a green link (see below) at the bottom that will take you to your final docs. Call Tauck tomorrow. Did you book thru a travel agent? If so, the TA may not have forwarded the email to you

• Yes, you certainly need to call Tauck. Don’t waste time asking people the question on the forum.

• edited August 2022

I just received my travel documents for an upcoming tour, and they have included the suggested tip amount both per diem and in total. This may be the new standard.