Options

Which airports-Essence of Japan

We are scheduled for Essence of Japan for Oct. 2023. Just starting research on air travel and would welcome opinions on:
1. Which airports..Tokyo (HND or NRT)
Kyoto (ITM or KIX)
2. Trying to weigh benefits of Tauck booking flights versus booking on our own:
a) If Tauck books air do they book 2 one-way reservations as tour begins and ends at 2 different cities?
b). As reservations can only be made 330 days prior to departures… is Tauck’s air Dept tracking the timeline to begin or do I need to contact them closer to the time?
Thanks!
DBFM

Comments

• Options

I'm scheduled for this trip in Apr 2023. I am flying into HND because that's where the plane lands :) It really doesn't matter whether you fly into HND or NRT, so choose the most convenient flight.

For departure, I plan to take the high speed train back to Tokyo (about 2.5 hours) and spend a few more days there. First, I don't think Tauck spends enough time in such a major city, and second, there are better flight options (such as non-stop) for me to get home from Tokyo than from Osaka (which is where KIX and ITM are located).

I always book my own flights, as I'm picky about the flights and like to maintain full control of the booking.

• Options
    edited August 2022

Dbfm - BKMD:

Are you two related? You look a lot alike, based on your avatars. 😂😂

• Options

NRT is the international one in Tokyo. In Osaka , KIX is the newer international airport which was built on an artificial island in the middle of the bay, I actually flew out of that airport when it was brand new, they gave us commemorative inscribed teaspoons when we checked in. The other airport is a regional one.
    The advantage of booking with Tauck is the ease of changing your mind, cancelling etc, especially if something happens during the trip, otherwise you have to do it all yourselves. I’m not sure whether you don’t pay until the final payment for flights with this tour as Tauck. It now seems they ask you to pay upfront for some flights, which they never used to. And yes, you must instigate flight booking, Tauck will not remind you. Do researchers about flights yourself before you call them.

• Options

British
    NRT is the international one in Tokyo.

From Wikipedia:
    Tokyo International Airport, commonly known as Haneda Airport, Tokyo Haneda Airport, or Haneda International Airport, is one of two** international **airports serving the Greater Tokyo Area, the other one being Narita International Airport.

• Options

Japanese airports, and train stations, are quite entertaining. Train service is excellent; just remember they leave precisely on time. There are various train passes available that are good deals; some have to be purchased b/f you leave US. Japan loves rules, so check the fine print. And with a typhoon on the way, maybe it's for the best Tauck's waiting for 2023. My first visit, a tea tour, was exactly a year before the 2011 earthquake and tsunami.

• Options
    edited August 2022

Dbfm
    8:49AM in Essence of Japan
    We are scheduled for Essence of Japan for Oct. 2023. Just starting research on air travel and would welcome opinions on:
    a) If Tauck books air do they book 2 one-way reservations as tour begins and ends at 2 different cities?
    b). As reservations can only be made 330 days prior to departures… is Tauck’s air Dept tracking the timeline to begin or do I need to contact them closer to the time?

We have only used Tauck air twice, but each time they were for "open-jaw" flights and were on the same PNR (same booking number) so I assume they book outbound and inbound flight itineraries at the same time, but as to how they technically do it (two one-way or a single open jaw booking) or when, I never asked- they do it however they do it. The flights are part of a contract Tauck has with individual carriers and I can't say when Tauck actually books them or whether they book at the beginning of the 330 day window. They will book you on flights using their contracted carrier and that will likely determine arrival and departure airports. For those booking air on their own, Tauck provides a transfers from both Haneda or Narita. All it says for the return transfer is from "the Four Seasons,Kyoto to the airport" but I assume that is to Kansai (KIX) in Osaka, not Itami (ITM) which no longer serves international flights (despite its former name "Osaka International Airport").

FYI, the 330 day booking window used by many airlines, but not all, begins 330 days before the first day of the return flight (flight home) not the flight at the start of the tour for "round-trip" and "open-jaw" itineraries, e.g. tours that start in one city, but end in another (also called "multi-city" reservations by most airlines.)

If you have officially requested Tauck book your flights, they will do it when it is time, you don't need to remind them.

From my understanding, since Essence of Japan is one of Tauck's "exotics" you may be required to pay the full fare when Tauck actually books your air, not at the time of final payment like other tours. You can request it now, but without fares, Tauck can't bill you until the fares are set (330 days from your return flights). If in doubt give Tauck a call.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file