Options

Newer Tauck safari bag

Can anyone on the forum who has been using the newer Tauck provided safari type bags that are replacing the previous Eagle Creek ones tell me if they have any zippered outside pockets? Thank you!

Comments

• Options

British, the newer bags have a small, zippered outside pocket and a shoe hatch. On K/T, my husband used the newer bag, I used the older one.

• Options

Perfect Jan! Thanks for responding. I need to carry scissors in an outside pocket so I can cut off the zip ties I use as ‘locks’. We get the bags on the Singapore trip.

• Options

You might try carrying nail clippers for the zip ties.

IMHO the new duffels are inadequate. They are much smaller (capacity) than the Eagle Creek bags. Obviously, people are making them work, carrying the duffel in a big bag just for the required trips. We use the old bags as primary luggage and they are here with us in Milan along with two small rollaboards.

• Options

I do carry nail clippers and know they could be a backup, but would need to know in advance or have them in an outside pocket. We will be given them in Singapore and they are for three days. It will be interesting to see how they are before we take our Africa tour. We are planning on using one as a checked bag on the way home as we experience that phenomenon of dirty clothes taking up more room than clean ones.
    We already have two other types of Tauck duffels. Still think the very first one was the best.

• Options

We are using one of the duffels as another carryon home from K/T—stuff does just seems to grow and take up more space than it did when we originally packed. And we didn’t make that many purchases.

• Options
    edited September 2022

UPDATE: I just received an email- TravelMore no longer selIs this packing cube :'(:'(:'(

UPDATE #2: I just found a set on Amazon by Magictodoor ("Magictodoor Packing Cubes Travel Luggage Organizer for Women Men Kids"), that has two (clean / dirty) compartments like my TravelMore cubes. I just ordered a set ($23.99) , so we will see.

I use several collapsible soft-side packing "cubes" (actually more like packing pouches) in my luggage and also when using Tauck duffles on K&T, B,SA,Z, etc. Each cube has two completely separate zippered, sides with a sealed, soft, floating partition between them that allows one side to fill the whole cube.

I pack clean clothes only on one side which has a net cover (some brands have clear vinyl). As they get soiled, I put dirty clothes on the other side. So, while the amount of clothes and the thickness of each side changes- clean side gets thinner, while dirty side gets thicker- the overall thickness of the cube remains the same. That makes it much easier for me to pack and repack. Many cubes only have one pouch which doesn't work with my system unless you get two different cubes for each type of clothing. These are what I use.

https://trvlmorestore.com/products/travel-packing-cubes-set-2-clean-dirty-compartments

• Options

Are these ones expensive Alan?
    We originally had three types, red for me, blue for hubby and some I got inside a Biaggi suitcase that was useless for me and I gave the bag to the thrift store and kept those…they are quite substantial in construction and my others very lightweight. A few months ago, I decided I wanted more and found some really nice super cute colorful ones, well made and cheap. Those are the ones I’m taking on my next trip with some of my red ones. I put my emergency clothing for carry on in a smaller cube.
    I’m going to buy cubes for my children for our Africa trip, I’m trying to really talk cubes up because I think they help when it comes to leaving things behind. My son would forget his head if he wasn’t reminded on any short stop at our house. I want them to realized that staying just a couple of days in each hotel takes different strategies, especially with young kids to distract you at the last minute.

• Options
    edited September 2022

AlanS - My wife likes the idea of these. Currently we just use one side opening cubes. We throw in a different colored cube or two to capture the dirty clothes.

FYI - We followed the link you provided and there appears to be nothing available in any color.

• Options

Wow, expensive!

• Options
    edited September 2022

They are bit pricey and it looks like they are not available. I'll need to look to see if anyone else sells something similar. I have some singles pouch cubes but I'm sold on the TravelMore, and if I can will buy another set unless I can find someplace to buy the larger sizes in singles. I just noticed they are guaranteed for 365 years! :D

I'm not a morning person, so on safari, etc. before dinner I pull the pouches out of my bag, stow the dirty clothes, pull out and put on clean stuff for dinner and wear it the next morning/day.

• Options

It’s hard to believe you are not a morning person Alan.
    An update…l’ve just had communication from someone on the Singapore tour and the usual grade of Tauck’s duffel is not used but ‘a poorly constructed’ batik patterned bag with a not very good zipper. Good to know, plan B now going into action 😀

• Options
    edited March 2023

Those are pricey. I take a cheap mesh bag empty for dirty laundry. At some point in the trip most everything is dirty so it really doesn't matter. I just try to keep it folded compactly.
    Amazon has loads of choices for packing cubes. One brand TRIPPED Travel Gear has 2 that look similar for $40.

• Options

I use Ziplock bags -- 2 gallon bags for clean clothes; 1 gallon bags for dirty clothes and shoes. I leave them in my suitcases and reuse time and time again.

• Options

I have used ebag packing cubes for over 15 trips and they have served me well. website is ebags.com

• Options

Clean clothes are put in packing cubes and I have a collection of laundry bags from various hotels for dirty clothes and reuse those.

• Options

I prefer the packing envelopes since they have a handy folding tool and are sturdier than the packing cubes (at least sturdier than my old mesh cubes.) I also use the clear plastic cases that some sheets and pillow cases are packaged in.

For those who are handy with sewing machines, I have made compartmentalized "cubes" that I store all sorts of items in. Thank you, Mom, for teaching me how to sew!

• Options

I think my high school sewing class and my mom’s sewing was one of the most useful non academic skills I learned in school

• Options

It's a toss up now which was more useful - sewing or 3 years of typing in high school. The one has been more useful creatively and the other professionally.

• Options

Since we are off topic (my fault), my high school sewing teacher...I'm convinced she was the offspring of the original Wicked Witch of the West...would grade our garments by turning them inside out and scrutinizing everything. To this day, I strive to have the inside look as nice as the outside. I usually fail miserably.

• Options

Yes, we were taught to finish as well on the inside too and I do when I’m sewing

• Options

I made a “D” on my apron in high school Home Ec. The teacher told my mother it was because I tried, or it could have been worse. Oh well, I preferred math. I do envy those of you with sewing talent.

• Options

Dottie D HI.
    I was kicked out of my school Home class and sent to the main office to help with office duties.... I have never sewn a button or a hem , I just take my clothe to a tailor and the pants I either take them to the cleaners or I stapple them.
    But I am a chef in the kitchen and a great interior decorator :)

• Options

Can I hire you Mil?

• Options

There are lots of claims of skills being discussed in this thread - sewing, typing, chef, interior decorator, ...

We may have to require visual proof of these skills before further claims can be made!! 😂😂

• Options

I’m a Jane of all trades; master of none.

• Options
    edited September 2022

Likewise, just call me 'Jack' :D

• Options

Jack Squat, Jack-the-Ripper, …

So many possibilities! 😂😂

• Options

Ok. Here is one of the sofa cushions I am sitting by that I made. Simple.

• Options

You guys have too much time on your hands. I’m always amused.

• Options

Not really, just having a tea break