Options

Is the Essence of Japan tour worth the money?

2»

Comments

• Options

Totally disagreed with you Mike. I am in Japan now. The remote places we have been seeing just could not be seen on a cruise unless it was very very long and it would still involve buses and trains. Because we are staying in hotels and inns, we are in the little villages early morning when the wonderful ancient streets are deserted. It’s peaceful and it is only when we have just about finished our site seeing in the location that it is starting to get busy. These parts of Japan are what makes it extra special for me. If you are fit and able to walk, then land is the way to go. We have an 88 year old on our tour and several people over 80. They can walk faster than I can. We are having a fantastic time. We are eating in small hideaway restaurants, interacting with the most polite, kind, helpful people. I do think now that I have come back ro Japan after such a long time that it is my favorite country for many reasons.
    Is the Tauck tour worth the money, sorry, not on the Tauck tour.

• Options

British - You may have misinterpreted Mike's comment about seeing a lot of places in a short amount of time.

When I read Mike's comment, I interpreted it to mean if you were seeing Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, and China in a single trip, then doing so via a cruise might be the better option.

As opposed to the interpretation of seeing a lot of places within a single country, which would be better suited to a land tour.

Mike, will likely weigh in and correct the interpretation of his earlier statement.

• Options

Ah, see what you mean Sam. I don’t care for big cruise ships once was enough, so that would not be something I had not thought of and I do prefer longer stays that land tours give. I’ve already seen all those countries apart from South Korea, though I have stopped at the Seoul airport and used Asiana air which was very nice. If you have the stamina to do land tours, we think it’s the best.for us right now.

• Options
    edited September 2023

British - You may have misinterpreted Mike's comment about seeing a lot of places in a short amount of time.

When I read Mike's comment, I interpreted it to mean if you were seeing Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, and China in a single trip, then doing so via a cruise might be the better option.

As opposed to the interpretation of seeing a lot of places within a single country, which would be better suited to a land tour.

Mike, will likely weigh in and correct the interpretation of his earlier statement.

Exactly right, Smiling Sam. We went from Istanbul to Dubai not too long ago. Hard to do that with a land tour.

• Options

How one travels is very much a personal choice. There is no right way or wrong way. It is up to the individual to choose what works best for them.

• Options
    edited September 2023

Of course it’s a personal choice. When we get to the point where we find packing and unpacking too much and we still want to travel and are able to, I’m sure we will be so glad there is an option to do cruises. Unfortunately, they are so expensive too.
    I have just had my first visit to Tokyo, my husband has been there before. I could not wait to leave the city.
    I spent about two separate weeks in Osaka many years ago, traveling from there. My husband spent months there. Some quirky things to see in Osaka…There is a kitchen district that is fun to see there that includes where they have all the plastic food. The Dotonburi area is fun, I remember visiting a Hagen Daz ice cream cafe where you sat on part of a carousel and the wooden girl looked as if she was licking your ice cream cone. When you went to the rest rooms, the Ladies room, the toilet sighed when you sat down and the Men’s urinal started singing rain drops are falling on my head and moving from side to side as you went, rather alarming I understand. There was also a Hard Rock Cafe, when you went in it was like being back in the US, the manager was of course American and gave us a big discount on the t shirts. The children were thrilled about that. A train ride away was an amazing aquarium, remaining the best I’ve ever been to. They had a huge whale shark at the time. I felt so brave to use the trains on my own with two young children at the time.
    The two other cities, I have not been to, we are scheduled to go to Hiroshima instead of Nagasaki, again, my husband has been, I’m not looking forward to the emotional aspect.
    While I am not on the Tauck tour, I’m hoping to compile what I hope will be some helpful general points at the end of my tour,

• Options

That last pic reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD2BnE83zBw

• Options

CathyandSteve: Mike...We are on that cruise in November!!!!

If you want to see my take on the cruise, I blogged it, which you can see at https://www.mikeandjudytravel.com/2022-3Istanbul-Dubai-01.htm

We bought a couple of Turkish rugs during that cruise.

• Options

Kyoto

• Options

We had a fantastic lunch today. As we were leaving, a group of Americans arrived and one of our group said they were wearing Windstar lanyards.

• Options

We are going on the Essence of Japan tour beginning on April 25, 2024. We’re arriving one day early. Does anyone have suggestions on what we might/should do with the extra day?

• Options

Any other travelers going on the 4/25/24 Essence of Japan small group tour?

• Options

ddicarlo - do take this trip! I think it is one of the best offerings that Tauck has. We stayed at a different onsen than what is now being offered but much of the trip is still the same. Our tour included one extra night in Kyoto (it didn't go to Hiroshima) and that still wasn't enough. If you can, considering extending there after the tour. Have fun taiko drumming!

• Options

I loved this tour.
    RRMJR where are you arriving? it it's Osaka I went to the Umeda building with the longest escalator in the world and beautiful views when you get to the top and after visiting the basment which has a re-creation of Old Osaka which was amazing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file