Options

April 19, 2023: Just returned from Petra to Pyramids

This was our 4th Tauck trip and as usual we had great experiences. Yes, you’re often up very early in order to beat the crowds at certain temples and tombs but well worth it. The in-flight tours were handled efficiently without a hitch. Excellent TD and local guides. However, 4 nights on the Nile cruise was too long and only 1 night at the beautiful Cataract Hotel in Aswan was, in my view, not enough. This part of the itinerary should definitely be tweaked. Instead, many in our group would have preferred 3 nights on the boat and 2 at the Cataract. In hindsight I would have also liked to have visited the capital of Jordan, Amman for half day. The itinerary should include such an important city after all. Otherwise, the sites, the people, the food and overall experiences made for a great trip.

Comments

• Options

Antonio,
    What are your thoughts on the Petra leg of your trip?
    Thank you.

• Options

We enjoyed the Petra leg as well. Lunch at Petra was a bit chaotic since other tour groups were at the buffet lunch as well. Unfortunately, weather prohibited the dinner at the Bedouin tents that evening but the Bedouins brought the show to the hotel dining room and a fine time was had by all.

• Options

As far as we could see when we went to Amman, there was nothing of note to see.

• Options

Yikes Alan, you look sunburnt there!

• Options

I used to be a blond and I turn red but rarely burn to the point where it hurts. :D

• Options

Alan - Your's is explanation #1 for the redness. Explanation #2 is that you had just finished two bottles of wine. 😂

• Options

I never drank much to begin with. After college, I stopped drinking all but rare sweet drinks (Margarita and random on-tour tasting, etc. but now, no beer, wine, or hard liquor). More recently, following doctor's orders, I no longer drink alcohol. So, I'm sticking with explanation #1. :D

• Options

Alan - Did they put you in the janitor's closet at the Old Cataract? My room (suite) was fabulous and massive. IIRC, there were 5 rooms in it.

• Options

Our tour group stayed in a separate high-rise. It was on the left (south) as you face west towards the hotel from town (as we exited the lobby we turned left onto a walk and walked under an arbor to the building which had a plain ground floor lobby. The room was normal size for Tauck, though the bath, with freestanding tub and separate shower was large. I know others, like mil stayed in large suites on their tour, but this was totally acceptable, especially for one night.

• Options

You got robbed :)

• Options

Alan - We were in the same building as you, but as BKMD said, we had a massive suite. Our TD was so excited because even she was going to get a suite at the Old Cataract.

When I look at your picture it looks like you aren’t showing the whole room. Our suite looked similar to yours, but there was an entire sitting room between the bedroom area and the door, and in the bathroom area there was an additional room as well.

Our room on the boat was nice, but didn’t compare to the Old Cataract. I couldn’t even stand up in the boat’s shower without hitting my head on the ceiling. I’m 6’6” but come on.

• Options

Thank you Alan for the pictures. Always interested to see how people were dressed.

• Options
    edited April 2023

Sam, we had a sitting "area," too, but I think there was only a half-wall between it and the bed. The bathroom was huge, but I don't remember another space, just a very large shower and maybe a walk-in closet. The only photo above that is mine is the arbor- all others came from the Old Cataract website. It was nice, but not over-the-top and we only slept there one short night. The next morning we were up early for the flight to Abu Simbel. When we returned it was directly to the Philea. (our bags were transferred to Philea while at Abu Simbel)

I made good use of my safari clothes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file