Options

Classic vs. Small Tour South Africa Elegant Adventure Tour

We are looking to do the South Africa Elegant Adventure Tour in May or July 2025. There are only a few classic tours offered vs. small group tours. During the safari part of the tour, would there be any difference, as in the number of people on a jeep? There is a $1,000 difference and wondering if it's worth it to be in the smaller group. We usually take the classic tours and are fine with them. Also, any opinion on mid-May vs. mid-July? Thanks.

Comments

• Options

There is little difference between vehicles on Tauck's Africa tours. Most are stretched Toyota Land Cruisers (no Jeeps or Land Rovers), that normally carry only 6 people (3 rows of two with center aisle) and sometimes a 7th person seated next to the driver. The only difference is some have totally open sides and some have partial sides with sliding windows or roll-up clear vinyl curtains.

• Options

We are taking this tour in September 2024. We were advised that there is only an 8-person difference between small and classic. We’re taking Classic and because we are spending a few extra days in Cape Town at the start, we opted for an upgraded room at the Cape Grace.

• Options

The South Africa tour vehicles are different. Much higher and no windows. I would chose the classic tour. You won’t have more people on your vehicle anyway.
    can’t believe Tauck now ask you to pay for an upgraded room at the Cape Grace. When we went on the tour years ago, we had lovely rooms anyway, you only sleep there, the rest of the time there is too much to see to want to spend time in the room. The changes I have read about the tour, I think it makes it inferior to what we experienced especially the tour no longer includes Robben Island.

• Options

British, not necessarily inferior, just different. We are very much looking forward to this tour.

• Options

Leaning towards the classic and having this additional info very helpful. We plan to arrive earlier in Capetown too. Definitely would like to visit Robbin Island since it’s not included, and maybe spend a night or two in the Winelands.

• Options

May to July is winter and in CapeTown it may be cool and the vines might be bare.

• Options

I was on this tour in May. The safari vehicles are high open jeeps. Three levels, 2-3 people per level. Need to climb up a few steps to get in. No need to upgrade at the Cape Grace. Rooms are lovely as is. Hotel is one of the best I've stayed in. Staff was amazing and the concierge did so much for us- can't say enough good things about that hotel. We left before they closed to remodel. Really didn't need a remodel, but I thought maybe making into more suites? Not sure. Agree that it won't make much difference which tour you take- jeeps are limited in numbers that can fit. A few more people won't make much of a difference. Cool mornings and evenings- jeeps had blankets and hot water bottles when necessary.
    Weather was mostly nice- but we had a little rain and our Table Mountain tour was canceled due to high wind.
    Be sure to visit Robben Island if you can. We spent a few extra days in Capetown. The hotel concierge arranged for tickets for us to Robben Island.

• Options

Guess I was lucky, when I took this tour in 2012 Robben Island was included.

• Options
    edited December 2023

Robben Island Is an easy add-on. The guides were very good and professional. Tickets are available directly on their website.

• Options

JanP, I loved my room upgrade at the Cape Grace. It is a grand old dame of a hotel. For a change of pace and to experience the hotel Tauck uses for the Cape Town portion of its Zambia, Botswana and South Africa tour, check out the magnificent bar at The One and Only. It has a spectacular view of Table Mountain. I agree with the others that Robben Island should not be missed. It was very moving, especially after reading Mandela’s “Long Walt to Freedom”.

• Options

We did the classic tour in December 2023 and there were only 13 of us. Not sure why, but I’m not complaining. Safari vehicles were retrofitted Toyota land cruisers and they hold max of 6 guests (plus a guide and a spotter). Same vehicles whether it’s a classic or small group tour.