Options

May or September?

Planning to take the Z,B SA trip. We are deciding which time of year, May or September to go. Anyone have experience there during those months? Thinking of weather and best time for most wildlife. Maybe either are desirable? TIA.

Comments

• Options

Oma71, my vote is for September. I think the weather is more reliable, and, in my experience, the wildlife viewing was spectacular. You will love this trip!

• Options

Sept.

• Options

May- nice weather, no precip, not as hot as Sept, better chance of good flow over Vic Falls and in the Okavango Delta.

• Options

We took this trip in late August 2017 and the weather was fantastic.

• Options

We took this trip in September (2022). Weather was fantastic and while drier, if anything it tended to congregate the wildlife more around the reducing water pools. The Zambesi was in dry season mode, which resulted in reduced but still spectacular flow. Photos attached for reference, because photos are worth a thousand words

• Options

Rwilso15 - Victoria Falls appears to have very little water in September.

• Options

That baby elephant! Thank you, rwilso15, for sharing the photos.

• Options

Not a good time to see the Falls in full flow in September. We’ve been to the falls three times because so many tours start or end there.Twice has been when the flow is low, but to me still just as spectacular and you don’t get wet. Most of the water comes from rains in Angola to the north.

• Options

Smiling Sam, I tried to relay that in my text/ Sorry if it didn't come across clearly/ But it was still impressive even with low flow

• Options

May. We went the beginning of June and had great weather and beautiful falls.

• Options

What British said. My first trip to Vic Falls was in March, and I got drenched. My second time there, in September, I was able to really appreciate the topography. Two very different, and both very good, experiences. That being said, I have no interest of ever returning to Vic Falls. The Okavanga Delta in September had enough flow for us to enjoy the many water adventures that were available. Z, B, SA offers a magnificent itinerary whether you go in May or September.