Options

A Sicilian Odyssey 2025 Flights to Sicily

We are thinking about booking A Sicilian Odyssey for one of the 2025 tours that are being offered. It looks like these have just opened up.

The airport into and out of Sicily is Catania Fontanarossa Airport (CTA). In looking at various airline websites and Google Flights it appears that it may be a nightmare journey to get there. (2+ stops, long journey times etc.) We fly out of Seattle.

My question to anyone who has been on this trip…How were the flights getting to Sicily? Would we have to expect a long and arduous journey?

Comments

• Options

Depends on what you thing is long and arduous. On Google Flights for some random dates this September I found the following:

• Options

Thanks Smiling Sam. Can you act as our Travel Agent? :D When I did a dummy booking on the Delta site it didn’t give me anything. The flights when we would be going aren’t even available yet.

• Options

We stayed in Rome 2 nights before heading to Sicily. A nice way to break up the flights and I love Rome. This is a wonderful tour, one of our favourites.

• Options

I would not rely on a transfer time of 1 hr and 35 min at CDG ever! And I would be nervous about 1 hr and 25 minutes at AMS.

• Options

We were thinking that staying in Rome or some other European city with cirect flights to Catania for a couple of days might be an option.

Both my wife and I get very nervous with less than a 2 hour connection in any European city.

• Options

JohnS - I agree about the connection times, but I was trying to address your concern about ‘long’. More layover, ‘longer’ the total travel time.

When looking up flights I’m amazed that options always pop up, especially if transferring through Phoenix or Dallas, that have 40 minute connection times. Numerous times I’ve had to call an airline when they attempt to change your flight and give you a one of those 40 minute connections.

Crazy ‘long and arduous’ journey’s are much more common living in a minor hub like Tucson vs a major hub like Atlanta, Seattle, LA, etc. We oftentimes make a pre and post tour stop in Seattle to visit family in order to get better flight options to/from the tour itself. We will be doing that for our upcoming Singapore/Bali tour.

• Options
    WanWan
    edited May 30

Hi JohnS, I don't know if by now you've managed to find something, but we just completed recently the Sicily tour and from LAX also had very few options. Like everyone else, we found some ridiculous connection times. Last year we initiated this trip and had to return early, and at that time KLM was flying to Catania which we really liked, but they don't seem to go there anymore. We ended up on Lufthansa. I usually try searching different days to see if I can get a better connection, or as above consider an extension in another city which has better connections to my destination. There was a couple in our Sicily group from Northern California that used Turkish Air, and their connection was Istanbul! They said it was very good, cheaper than other options, and also they said that the airline included a 2 night stay each way in Istanbul. I have not checked to see if the airline still offers this. Good luck and I am curious as to what you come up with. (Since I would love to return to Sicily!)
    edit for postscript: I have a friend who often books different carriers for outbound and inbound and says it is not always more expensive to do this. I did this for Australia/NZ but have not had luck with Europe yet.

• Options

Hi yes it was hard to get there We came from Athens. We stayed in Naples for two nights to check it out and get there. We also stayed in Catania one hight as our flight the next day was early. That was fine to do.. trip was amazing though!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file