Staying Active

My husband and I will be taking this cruise in September of this year. I'm 38, he is 42, and we are both active, though he is EXTREMELY active. He's an ultra-marathon runner who has run multiple 100-mile races and regularly will dip out on a Saturday morning to do a nice easy 50K. I saw all of that to highlight just how active he is. We've never done a cruise like this before, does anyone have any tips on how he might be able to get out and get some running or biking in? I'm sure he'll be using the treadmill on board more than the average passenger, but I know he'd love to explore the sites with his running shoes on. Is this a question I could/should pose to Tauck specifically? Heck, he's interested on running up Mt. Pilatus if it is logistically possible for him to get there a little earlier than the rest of arrive to take the Gondola up. I

Thank you for your time and patience with my general ignorance on where to direct these types of questions. The cruise was a gift from my incredibly generous father-in-law, and we are very grateful.

Comments

• I think you might be best to call Tauck. I’ve been traveling with Tauck since I was age 50, but the majority of customers are over 65, so most activities are geared to that age group. There are one or two biking opportunities on most river cruises, but that’s about all. I have only taken one river cruise with them as I prefer the more active land tours. We never use the gym on tours even though we take daily four to five mile walks at home. We swim if there is an opportunity on the tours. I’m not sure about the gym equipment on the river cruises, perhaps someone else can answer that. How on earth he can run around busy tourist places while on tour, I’ve no idea. I really think your father in law picked the wrong vacation for you.

• edited July 25

First comment- it is great you are starting early traveling with Tauck, but just be aware, except for parents on Tauck Bridges tours, you are CONSIDERABLY YOUNGER than typical Taucktourians whose ages range from 65 - 75+ (especially on river cruises!!!) I think if you read the expanded version of the itinerary you'll be able to answer many of your own questions.

While aboard ship you will be limited to treadmill and upper deck for exercise. On most Tauck river cruises, the boat typically changes ports at night. Local excursions, which may be in the port town or somewhere further afield and require bus transportation, usually start after breakfast. You may or may not return to the ship for lunch. After an afternoon activity ashore, you will return to the ship for dinner. If you are docked adjacent to the town, you may have a free afternoon where you can wander town on your own. The ship will get underway around dinner time or shortly thereafter. On Autumn along the Rhine you will dock near old Dusseldorf, but not Heidelberg, Strasbourg or Basel and it is a significant bus ride from Basel to Mt. Pilatus. There will be some free time in the afternoon and evening of Day 8 in Munich, but the bottom line, except for an occasional free afternoon, there is rarely time to go for a long or any sort of run that would satisfy him during a Tauck river cruise. Touring can sometimes involve a lot of walking through cobblestone towns and on some cruises (Blue Danube) there may be a 10K up to a 40K bike ride. I would never discourage anyone from traveling with Tauck since they are top notch, but you might find more of what he is looking for in one of the "bike and float" or "run and float" cruises where you only sleep on the boat.

• edited July 26

In my younger years, I was a marathoner - I even ran the NY and Boston marathons. When I traveled for business, I'd take my running clothes and shoes and run in the city. The good thing was that I got to see parts of various cities that I wouldn't have otherwise. But I'd only run 6 to 10 miles in a city, not nearly what your husband runs.

I'd say to him to check the map of the city you'll be docked in and plot out a course that he can do in the afternoon. It might not be the distance he'd like, but it will be better than just sitting on the ship.

And even though many of us will be older than you two are, we've lived interesting lives and can be good dinner companions.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    [I take my hat off to him. It was all I could do to run 26.2 miles. I couldn't even dream of doing a 50 mile or 100 mile run. I was an 8 minute per mile marathoner, about 3:30 for a marathon. My best time was 3:26 at the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington, DC. I was faster in a 10K race, with a personal best of 40 minutes.]

[Any other marathoners out there?]

• Are your in-laws doing the trip with you? If not, I would see about doing a land tour instead. A cruise is such an inefficient (as in slow) and regimented way to travel from place to place. You would have much more flexibility in terms of schedule, not being forced to be back at the boat at a given time for departure, activities, etc.

I've done a few (land) tours with my daughter and son-in-law, both of whom are very active. In Patagonia, instead of doing the "old folks" bus tour of a national park, they spent the day hiking a mountain in the park and arranging their own transportation back to the hotel (with help from the tour director). In Wales, instead of a castle visit, they hiked a mountain and arranged for the tour bus to pick them up at a pre-scheduled meeting spot on the way back to the hotel. They also ran almost every morning before breakfast - something easy to do from a hotel vs. a boat.

• jfairman: are u and your husband taking this trip for the experience or for him to run a "marathon"???

• edited July 26

I'd focus on this as being a vacation and a way to see and learn - you can run and exercise at home. River Cruises are not very active. He can run laps up on the sundeck very easily - it is a great place to run/walk. The days are pretty full with excursions, so probably not much time for running in the towns.

• There is no need to express such strong attitude if some one is not the stereotype of your play group. Remember folks, the cruise is a free gift from a well meaning father in law who probably has unlimited Tauck credit.

By the way, Tauck cancelled two of the three scheduled bike rides and all kayaking/swimming excursions for last June's Venice and Dalmatian Coast cruise. There was only one guy that went on the biking excursion in Croatia. No one said a word!

I think the opportunity to swim, hike, climb or bike in a foreign country is the BEST EXPERIENCE to experience the country rather than sitting at restaurants and seeing all the tourists traps.

• The ships gym is the only guaranteed exercise outlet. The sun deck can be used but on tours we've been told not to do so early morning as the sound travels down to the Diamond deck waking people up. But he'll likely have the gym to himself. I've never shared it with anyone. And there will likely be some opportunities to run or bike on the paths along the river. I believe they still carry bikes on board.

You do get a fair amount of walking and stair climbing during the sightseeing.

If he's going there to exercise in Europe he might be frustrated. If he's there to see the sights, learn the history, try some different foods, etc he'll have a good time. Always best to have realistic expectations.

• jfairman, don’t let age keep you from going. My husband and I starting traveling with Tauck 40 years ago. He was 40 and I was 37. Yes, we were the youngest of the group and had a fabulous time. We are still traveling but now as the seniors on tour.

• I don't know too much about Mt. Pilatus. I didn't go there. I surely can recommend a great run in Heidelberg.

I went on the Rhine cruise with one of Tauck's competitor. While most senior would choose the Heidelberg castle ruins, there was the option of Heidelberg Old Town. One other person and I decide to do a run and skip Old Town and Church of Holy Spirits. You can start at Bruckenaffe, a well hidden famous city landmark, go on Alte Brucke, see Liebesstein on the opposite side of the Nektar river and take Stausufe and Schleuse Bridge back. Just make sure when you come back, you do not get lost since the all streets at Old Town looks the same. It is a very scenic run with multiple great sights to see off the beaten path.

• I recommend one liter beer curls to strengthen the biceps. :D

• Which sailing will you be on? My husband and I along with another couple will be on the Sept 25th sailing. Mid 40's to early 50's crew.

• Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I took notes of that Heidelberg run and am passing it along to the hubs ;)

This was a gift from my father-in-law to my mother-in-law for her 70th birthday. He wanted to gift her this experience with her kids and their s/o's. We are looking forward to the time with family and the culture, however one of our favorite ways to experience a new culture/place is to run. For us it's an added bonus.

Anyway, thank you all.

• Since you are "stuck" on this river cruise, here's something that may be of interest, if it works scheduling-wise:

From time to time, my daughter goes to Basel, her company's HQ, for meetings. A few years ago, she did a 10 mile, 3 country run. If that would interest you, let me know and I'll ask her details.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file