Question on Television coverage to watch a College Football Game

We will soon be sailing on the MS Grace. We are from Nebraska and our party of 8 are huge Husker Fans. The game will be on Fox Sports. Does anyone know if we can access Fox Sports while on board? Thank you in advance!!

Comments

• Good luck

• Television offerings are very limited on the river cruises. We have been on 3 river cruises and the only TV we have watched is a little bit of news before going to bed. Fox Sports was never on any TV we have seen on our cruises. CNN and BBC as I recall are available.

• I claim foul. Real Husker fans wouldn’t travel during football season!!! 😂😂

• It is unlikely that you will be able to get it on the TV on the riverboat, but if you have the Fox Sports app on your phone or tablet, you may be able to watch the game through that portal (assuming the wifi on the ship is functional and/or you have independent cell service). I am hoping to go to a game at Memorial Stadium next season - it looks like a great atmosphere to watch a game.

• I've never seen any Fox channels on river cruises. Some CNN international and BBC plus some on demand movies free. Cell/WiFi service varies depending on where the ship is especially while underway. You also have to factor in the time difference Good luck.

• Sometimes games and shows are only available in certain markets. They can tell from your IP address where you're located (that you're in Europe) and the game may not be available there.

• That's what VPNs are for.

• There are you tubes that show how to configure a VPN to display your device is coming from another country. I have not had the need to do this.

• The bandwidth you will get on the river cruises is awful. VPN or no VPN it won’t be sufficient to stream any video.

• That's traditionally true. The old way of providing Internet access on a river boat was through the cellular network. But now there's StarLink which provides much higher speed access to the Internet.

However, my experience with StarLink on a Tauck ocean cruise was that StarLink blocked access to a number of services. I expect that StarLink charges different prices for different levels of access and Video access may be an upcharge to the river boat. If possible, you might check and see what kind of Internet service the boat uses. And if it's StarLink, ask if you can stream video.

Then, as BKMD mentioned, you might need to use a VPN to give you a "presence" in the US.

• 5G is faster than Starlink and also has lower latency.

• I think the main problem could be the time difference, do you watch a game or go on the tour that day kind of thing.

• I suppose it depends on what you're going to use to watch the game. If you use the Interent access that the boat provides, and it's cellular, I doubt if you'll get great performance.

But if you have a smartphone that works with 5G, and you have a cellular plan for the area you're in, you may get faster service. Depends on what cellular is available along the river. Video uses a fair amount of data so make sure your plan has a high limit. Latency is not very important for video.

5G has three bands, low, medium and high. Low is not used very much by the cellular companies. Medium is used and has decent range between towers - and provides decent Internet speed. High band provides the highest speed but has a very short range - about 1,500 feet. You probably won't find high band except in cities.

Let us know how it goes for you - whether you were able to watch the game.

• To fellow Husker- quite often, even if you have the app for the network broadcasting the event, they won’t work in a different country. While overseas cable often has sports, it’s European sports like soccer or Formula one. Depending on the time difference, if the ship is docked during the game, you could search for an American sports bar that just might carry that network. Otherwise you’re going to be stuck with looking at the live stats links that provide info on the game.