Solo travel

Active 70's looking to take first solo trip. Any tips which trips best. Would like to hear how other solo travelers enjoyed Tauck tours.

Comments

• I have taken 10 Tauck tours and 8 were solo. As far as which I recommend it depends on what you like. The National Parks tours out west are great. Taking river boat cruises was fun. Just did Classic Italy this past September and I had the best time. And Australia/New Zealand is worth the long flight.

Most times there are others I find to do things with. Only a couple of tours did not have anyone to do stuff with in my off time, but you always can find someone to eat with on the included meals. I would not travel any other way as a solo. It is away to not have to be alone all the time.
  • Grammiemara, I did 10 -12 solo tours before I met the person, on a tour, with whom I now travel. All of the tours that I have taken have been great. My advice is to decide on a location that you want to visit and find a tour. If you pick a place that you really want to see, then you will enjoy yourself more even when you do meet others traveling solo.

On all of the solo tours that I did with Tauck, I always felt welcomed by the other travelers. Someone readily invited me to eat with them so I was not alone at meals. I found that Tauck travelers easily include others, particularly solo travelers, so no one ever feels left out.
  • Hi Grammiemara,

I took a Tauck trip last year as a solo traveler, and I completely agree with Kathy18's comments. It was never any trouble for me to find people to do things with or to eat meals with either. Most people are very happy to take in any solo travelers. And yes, picking the correct tour that fits your interests is crucial!

Let me know if you have any questions, or feel free to reach out to us by calling or emailing if you'd prefer.

-Tim
  • I never go on solo trip but i want to be go for a solo trip.
  • I never go on solo trip but i want to be go for a solo trip.
    Gatorland might be a good first stop? For the Screamin' Gator Zip Line?
  • My 81 year old husband went solo on his Antarctica trip in January. He said everyone was very nice and he never ate a meal alone. Tauck is a wonderful company that attracts well traveled guests and they all had that in common.\
    Sheila
  • Active 70's looking to take first solo trip. Any tips which trips best. Would like to hear how other solo travelers enjoyed Tauck tours.

i did 2 solo trips and 2 trips with a friend. I really like doing a solo trip with Tauck. People are friendly and I'm sure that you will find people to do things with. Also, when you feel like being alone, you can. In the free time, when there's no tours scheduled, you can simply go for a walk alone, or probably arrange to meet with someone and do something together. I like the river cruises because it's nice not to have to pack and repack and stay in one place. Also there's no single supplement, which can make a difference. However, on the land trips you stay in absolutely fantastic hotels. And I am well over 70 and have always met very nice and friendly people. I prefer the classic trips, Rome, Venice Florence, and Paris and Provence were great. Am dong the Musical Tour on the Danube in August. I think if you choose a country you want to see that you will have a great time.
  • I didnt go for solo trip but now will try for solo trip..
  • I also want to go for a solo trip.I love the adventure,so I want to go for a safari tour.Can you suggest me anu good location for safari tour....
  • Well, Nancy, since you glommed on this Tauck site, I think you should take a Tauck safari. Should you want to buy a product you can't buy a better safari product than a Tauck safari.

Cheers,

Jan
  • edited April 2014
    Nancy, I am trying my first solo tour to Tanzania and Kenya in June-July. I am excited for the experience. I have received a lot of encouragement from my family and friends, as well as the folks who come in here. It will be my fourth Tauck tour, but all of the others were with my wife. We enjoyed all of them, but she is no longer alive to enjoy them.

I also have tours set up for Yellowstone in Winter and Antarctica for early next year. I am too young to sit around and feel sorry for myself and there are places I still want to see. I believe Australia will be next. That will have put my feet on all seven continents. Life is 5% what happens to you and 95% how you handle it.

I'll share with you why I picked Africa for my first solo tour. On other tours, when you get free time, most couples take off and do some sightseeing on their own, or they pair up with another couple. I kept asking myself, "OK, what are you going to do for the next four hours by yourself." In Africa, I think the group will stick together more. After all, if they wander too far from the group they will find out what the "food chain" is all about. I think the same will happen, to varying degrees in Yellowstone and Antarctica. Hopefully, these experiences will prepare me to expand on being on my own and help in future trips.

I am going to rent a flat in London in the summer of 2015 for June and July. Not being a tour, this will really test my mettle.

From what I read in here from the African tour veterans, it looks like any of the safari tours is a great choice. I wish you the best and that all goes well.
  • edited October 2018
    I echo the advantages to solo travel mentioned by others. I will be taking my 12th Tauck tour this December and it will be my sixth solo trip.

If you don't have a specific trip in mind, then I recommend the riverboat cruises. They have cabins on the lowest deck where they charge a solo traveller the same as if they were sharing. I am not rich, and it allows me to travel more than I could if I was paying the higher single cost of a land tour. I know that some people might not like those cabins because they don't have full-length windows, but if it means I can go instead of staying home, I can deal with it. I love the riverboat because you go different places each day, but your room goes with you so no packing and unpacking! More time to sit on the sundeck or in the bar during your travel time.
  • edited October 2018
    Well, everything depends on whether you like 'comfortable traveling' (like getting a tour or booking a hotel room and just enjoying your time in the city walking around and stuff) or you'd enjoy hiking from place to place for a couple of days. This summer me and my granddad went hiking around the south of England. That was marvelous, especially the small town of Cotswolds . Still, we should have thought more about proper food packaging since some of our snacks went bad. So if you are taking some snakcs with you, get contains like https://www.amazon.com/FRESHPAPER-Produce-Vegetables-Perfect-Storage/dp/B00VEFVR8O https://allinpackaging.co.uk/food-packaging/ in case you haven't got one at hope..have nice time traveling
  • a1mee = SPAM
  • edited December 2018
    BSP51 wrote:
    a1mee = SPAM

If you go back through the thread, there appears to be a lot more spammers than just a1mee. Bad English, bad syntax, low post count, etc.

"I also want to go for a solo trip" "Can you suggest me"

"I didnt go for solo trip but now will try for solo trip.. "

"I never go on solo trip but i want to be go for a solo trip."

• I have done solo trips with Tauck and with Uniworld. Both couples and singles are always welcoming, and I always have a great time. Both of these companies attract interesting, well traveled people from all over the world. This year I will be on a Tauck river cruise on the Rhine, and I am looking forward to it. Personally, I think river cruising is a delightful way to travel!

• I booked a hotel in Egypt through this program and I absolutely love it)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.hotelsbooking
  • LadyL wrote:
    I have done solo trips with Tauck and with Uniworld. Both couples and singles are always welcoming, and I always have a great time. Both of these companies attract interesting, well traveled people from all over the world. This year I will be on a Tauck river cruise on the Rhine, and I am looking forward to it. Personally, I think river cruising is a delightful way to travel!

We have a friend who travelled with Tauck as a solo in Europe on a ‘bus’ trip an did not like it. She said the tours were in the morning and the afternoons wer on your own. And, since she was solo she did not enjoy the afternoons on her own. First, I would offer that the itineraries are well detailed, so she should have planned her afternoons. Second, on our trips the solos have always been welcomed and included. We took a girl horseback riding with us at the Mt. Kenya Safari Club. She was not really a solo but travelling with her parents who did not ride, so we took her along. I know she appreciated it, as did her parents. On all of our trips the solos were well taken care of, but of course as a solo you need to be ‘outgoing’ to enjoy the experience. People will not make the effort to include a ‘recluse’.
  • Pick up your Favorite destination, Back Pack & Just go for your Favorite destination. You don't need to think that much for travelling solo. Travelling solo is bundled with so many adventurous experiences. Now a days everything is available at a single click online.
  • Pick up your Favorite destination, Back Pack & Just go for your Favorite destination. You don't need to think that much for travelling solo. Travelling solo is bundled with so many adventurous experiences. Now a days everything is available at a single click online.

This is a Tauck forum not an ad for backpacking
  • milmil
    edited June 2019

I always go solo and I love it!, you can do as you please during leisure time.. no need to negotiate with partner.. , you meet new people
    and you are free to travel any where you want at the time it's most convenient for you. It takes you outside your comfort zone and you learn a lot about yourself. Love it.

• I took a solo trip to Georgia last year. I'm 50 and actually I was going to travel with my daughter, but she could go with me cause of her job. I heard it's a pretty safe country, so I decided to go on my own. I took a Tbilisi tour package by One way tour and I liked it so much, its nature and architecture and nice people, so now I want to visit other former USSR countries.

• Grammiemmara: I have enjoyed more than twenty tours as a solo with Tauck. Most couples will include the solos for meals and other activities. As Sealord suggests, I always plan activities for free time before leaving home - I can always change my mind if I arrive and find I want to do something different with another guest. I check guide books, Viator and other sites for ideas of things to do on my own and I really enjoy the "alone time" after being in a group for a number of hours. Remember to plan something special for at least a few of the evenings that are open - try to find a local play or an opera or whatever meets your interests. The hotel concierge can help with tours and such as well. Pick a tour and get packed - you will have a wonderful time.

• I guess Grammiemara will be 80ish now and might no longer be with us, she only posted once. Wonder if she ever used Tauck?

• Is 80ish too old for a trip solo? Lot's of places left on my bucket list and I'm now alone.

• We have been on trips with 80+ singles. Depends on your health and confidence in being able to participate.

• It all depends on the person- I have seen both ends of the spectrum- on one tour we had one 80+ single lady, who, against the wishes of her family went on Hidden Gems of NE. She had a 3-toed cane and a walker (four legged w/tennis balls) that the driver kindly stowed under the bus for her. It was a chore for her to climb into the bus. There were a number of folks who kindly helped her. She got "lost" at least twice, once at the Vermont Country Store and again at Billings Farm- we had to send out search teams. All times to return to the bus were adjusted earlier to allow her to get back. It didn't help that she lost or didn't have a watch!

On the on hand, we have had 80+ people with as much or more energy that some of the 60+ folk who were sharp as a tack!

• My husband will turn 98 this fall when we are on a Tauck small ship cruise. His age is merely a number. He is healthy, active and will continue to travel as long as he can. He never slows down the group while on tours. Last year while on the Douro cruise some fellow travelers complained about having to walk up about 15 steps in Porto. My husband gladly led the way. Granted, he does tire if there is a significant amount of walking. For that reason, we no longer take land tours.

So, yes, I agree that it depends on the individual not on the number of birthdays.

• I'm always puzzled/amused when people ask me on tour whether I'm alone and say how brave I am; I point out all the people around me. I've traveled on my own many times & seem to meet more people along the way. As a spoiled single, I have to adjust to not always being able to call the shots when traveling with others. So yes, it depends on the individual. That said, I don't think it's a bad idea for everyone to try solo (true solo, no TD) travel at some point.

• Totally depends on how fit you are. On tour, you are not really a solo, you are with a group