Gala event and how to dress

I'm trying to decide on what to bring for the gala dinner in Vienna. Any suggestions as to whether to go short, long or pant suit?

Comments

• I haven't started seriously thinking wardrobe for this one yet but it will likely be either a short dress (it being late May) or black dress slacks with a dressy top. Kinda waiting to see the weather. I find it easiest to pack basics that can be layered and/or blinged up as needed.
  • In the moderate weather of last September pant suits were very popular. Definitely coat and tie for the men.
  • And, not to be contrary, hubby did it with dress pants and a nice woven shirt. For ladies, all of the above...
  • I haven't started seriously thinking wardrobe for this one yet but it will likely be either a short dress (it being late May) or black dress slacks with a dressy top. Kinda waiting to see the weather. I find it easiest to pack basics that can be layered and/or blinged up as needed.

I was leaning towards dress slacks or maybe a long romper. I should probably wait a bit to see what the weather is. I just don't really have anything right now that I think would work, but maybe.
  • edited January 2019
    Is it a dinner at the castle, I forget which one? If so, our land tour went to the same place and I know one of the river tours went there also. When we went, our tour director said there was no need to dress up. We were spruced up, but some did not bother and one couple spent the entire tour in Safari gear and that is what they wore to the gala evening. So clearly everyone does their own thing.
  • edited January 2019
    We have visited this subject before. But, in my photos of the Vienna event 90% of the men wore coat and tie, 5% wore a jacket but no tie, and 5% looked like they were dining at McDonalds. I think if you are asking the question you are probably concerned about being ‘under dressed’. So you have probably answered your own question. On the other hand, at my retirement party I wore a tuxedo, and everyone else wore a jacket and tie. I don’t feel uncomfortable being over dressed. That being said, it is not uncommon to go to a party here in California, and see some people ‘dressed’ and others wearing jeans. Still wondering where we met ‘British’, how about a hint.?
  • The day before your K and T tour. Sorry if I did not make that clear.
  • I agree with Sealord. Mr. Dixie was one of the men in a jacket with no tie, and I wore black pants and a sparkly sweater. Some ladies did not dress up much, but most of us did at least put pearls with basic black or bring out the bling. It was an elegant evening in a beautiful setting, so we did “dress the part.” We were there in late September, and it was a bit cool. I have pics of the event, and if I knew how, I would post them.
    Have a great time; it is a super trip.
    Nancy
  • Thank you everyone! It sounds like some dress up and others don't. We will be dressing up and what I wear will probably depend on the weather. I have some things that would work and can be dressed up with pearls or other jewelry. Very much looking forward to this trip - it's our first trip to Europe or anywhere overseas.
  • British wrote:
    The day before your K and T tour. Sorry if I did not make that clear.

Really. We were in Arusha at the same time, but on different trips?
  • British wrote:
    Is it a dinner at the castle, I forget which one? If so, our land tour went to the same place and I know one of the river tours went there also. When we went, our tour director said there was no need to dress up. We were spruced up, but some did not bother and once couple spent the entire tour in Safari gear and that is what they wore to the gala evening. So clearly everyone does their own thing.

The palace is different depending on which direction you take the cruise. I googled both to see photos.

Southbound it’s “Tonight, a Tauck Exclusive – a private, gala evening in the beautiful Baroque Palais Pallavicini in the heart of the city, featuring a sumptuous dinner and live entertainment – just might sweep you off your feet!” Lots of gold gilt, white and bordello red. There are pictures showing this in several of the Tauck brochures and here on the website. It shows 3 different men – 1 in coat/tie, 1 in coat with no tie, and another in a shirt with pullover sweater.

Northbound it’s “Tonight, nothing quite compares to the royal treatment you’ll experience at a Tauck Exclusive – our private evening in the Palais Ferstel, a 19th-century palace in the heart of the city. Welcome champagne precedes dinner and a live musical performance.” More of the gold and white, but a little more subdued on the red.

Yes, Elizabeth, there is a range for how dressy people get and I've found each group sort of has it's own "dressiness ethos" so it's hard to predict from one cruise to the next. And weather can really affect it. I think it's nice to dress up a bit but try not to fill my luggage with items that take up room and get very little wear. One pair of dress slacks, silver flats, 2-3 dressy tops, a wrap for cooler evenings and some bling will pretty much cover me for a 2 week cruise.

We're getting excited about this one too but mostly focusing right now on extra time in Budapest and Amsterdam.

• Sealord wrote:
    Really. We were in Arusha at the same time, but on different trips?
    Yes, we were going on the Tanzania Zanzibar, I think that was our third trip in Africa andsecomd ising the Arusha hotel.
  • British wrote:
    Yes, we were going on the Tanzania Zanzibar, I think that was our third trip in Africa andsecomd ising the Arusha hotel.

Yes. I remember that there were two or maybe three Tauck groups in the Arusha hotel at the same time. On our last trip ours was the only Tauck group in the hotel. Our TD was Bill M on that first trip. I do remember talking to some of the people who were doing the Zanzibar trip, but I don’t remember anyone revealing their ‘handle’ on the forum. On our last trip their were several couples who ‘outed’ themselves. We are ‘out there’ because of the pictures I’ve posted, and actually my license plate says “Sealord”. (;-).
  • British wrote:

Congrats buddy! I hope you'll enjoy this trip in Africa.
  • I usually bring one basic black short dress with which I can put a nice scarf &/or jewelry. Probably no heels for me this trip.

I'm glad you posted this question. I was happy to read others replies.
  • Thank you, everyone! This has been very helpful. We love to dress up and don't get to very often. Depending on the weather, I'll probably go with either a longer black dress (I don't wear many short ones) or black pants/sparkly top.

We're so looking forward to this trip and meeting the other passengers.
  • I have posted our pictures if you want to see them.
    Here is the link.
    https://public.fotki.com/CandSvacations/2017-tauck-european/

So sorry you had such a poor greeting upon arrival at the ship. I'd probably have the same reaction. We've only ever arrived as part of a group from the Tauck hotel which clearly goes much smoother than on your own. Sounds like the rest of your tour was enjoyable so you might want to give them another try. It isn't usually that bad. An yes, river cruise staterooms are more compact than ocean going. Just a smaller ship. I appreciate all the other details you provided. Looking forward to our cruise.
  • We are doing a tauck trip to Africa in September and a tauck trip to Antartica in dec 2020...by the end of our european trip we were happy and over the beginning of the trip
    Cathy, I loved your diary of the trip and your cute photos. I have just finished the Shutterfly photos of our most recent tour. We sure look different to you, windswept hair or crazy sun hats. We never had cameras or phones with us when we were dressed up at dinner on the ship????
    I’m still nervous about taking our first River Cruise in the summer.
    You reminded me that last April we went to London for about five days and stayed at the Conrad. We were able to check in at 9m am but our taxi ride cost quite a bit more than yours did, it was rush hour and taxi meters roll over whether you are moving or not in London. Going home, the Conrad booked us a private limo ride for only a little more than a taxi might have been. The trip was booked around the tickets we had to see Hamilton which were so much cheaper than our New York tickets and a better quality production in our opinion. It is such a luxury to go to London and see live theatre at much more reasonable prices too. We also saw the Ferryman, the performance was halted halfway through as an audience member had some kind of emergency. When it resumed, the actors had to go back into a very intense scene. All adds to the magic of live theater, our other passion.
  • Cathy, I am not on Facebook and do not like to post any photos on line especially on a public forum like this when there are so many weird spammers Ike last night. Where is STL? We are near Philadelphia.
  • We are doing a tauck trip to Africa in September and a tauck trip to Antartica in dec 2020...by the end of our european trip we were happy and over the beginning of the trip

Glad to hear you haven't given up on Tauck. I don't remember seeing anyone on the forum discuss the issue of getting to the ships on their own. It can be tricky since docking locations can change. Obviously the communication between the customer, HQ and the ship needs to be better than what you experienced.

In Amsterdam was the ship docked at a long pier jutting out into the water with several (like up to 8) river cruise ships tied up? It's the only one I remember where the ship can be such a long way from where vehicles can park. Usually you can see the ship and wave to the staff from a taxi, etc.
  • I was once greeted by the Commanding Officer of the Naval Air Station Atsugi when I arrived (unexpectedly) in a VIP airplane, with no VIP aboard. He was called away from dinner with his family in the Officer’s Club do to our ‘unexpected’ arrival. I thought it was strange when they parked us on the ‘Quarter Deck’ instead of the ‘transit line’, but when I left the airplane and walked past this Captain standing in the pouring rain, I flashed him a salute and headed into the building ... out of the rain. Man was he p***ed. That’s the only time I’ve been greeted by someone standing in the pouring rain. Just curious. How were they supposed to know when you arrived? Perhaps the taxi driver could have called them, since he apparently had already called them to discover the ship’s location? Perhaps I’m just not clear on how all this happened? I would think if they had been called, someone should have come out to help. Did the taxi driver call them but no one came to help? That would be rude.
  • Sealord, I bet that CO was pissed. Somebody got an earfull.

For Cath and Steve, I can certainly understand that a first time river cruiser in an unfamiliar city could have the problems you had. I can remember being a total novice our first cruise wondering even where our driver at the airport would be and how we'd know them. Thankfully ours went smoothly.

I wouldn't have known to do this on our first cruise, but here's my advice to anyone in your situation. First, the green book is a wealth of information. The most pertinent being when you need to be on board i.e. the cruise start time and the phone number of the ship. Those are both located on the Day 1 itinerary. I would call or have the hotel reception call the ship and confirm their location - exactly where a taxi should take you - and what time to expect you. No guarantee that it would solve all problems but certainly up your odds of having a much less frustrating time.

I'd also recommend even if you are working with a travel agent, don't be afraid to call Tauck directly and ask questions. Or ask questions here where there are plenty of fellow travelers who have a wealth of experience (and sometimes unwelcome opinions).
  • Sealord wrote:
    I’m not sure this story is interesting to folks not familiar with the military. But I delegated the task of getting a PPR (prior permission required) number for landing in Atsugi to my navigator. The base was a joint use base with both Japanese Self Defense Force, and US Navy tenants. He had called the Japanese Self Defense Force, instead of the Navy, and they said come on down. The airplane actually belonged to the Commander of the Seventh Fleet, but was operated by my squadron. At the time it was the only jet aircraft certified to carry VIPs to aircraft carriers, and I was one of two pilots, (in the squadron at that time) certified to do that work. So when the CO was called to advise that “Double Nuts”, (the aircraft had ‘zero zero’ on the nose) was arriving, he expected an Admiral or an ORI team (operational inspection team) to be on board. I actually thought it was pretty funny, but I’m sure the CO had a different point of view. It was all due to an honest mistake and no one actually got in any trouble. I’m sure the skipper’s wife was not pleased. (;-)

Well he was bound to be happy it wasn't an ORI team. Only ever made it to Atsugi once to shop for rugs. Spent 2 yrs in Yokosuka and parts way way north.
  • edited February 2019
    Well he was bound to be happy it wasn't an ORI team. Only ever made it to Atsugi once to shop for rugs. Spent 2 yrs in Yokosuka and parts way way north.

I’ve been to Yokosuka a few times. Yokota many times. And, I used to fly the ‘close to the coast’ missions near Vladivostok out of Atsugi. Fun days! (Do you know what a ‘Spook’ is? I’m certain Alan does.)
  • Sealord wrote:
    I’ve been to Yokosuka a few times. Yokota many times. And, I used to fly the ‘close to the coast’ missions near Vladivostok out of Atsugi. Fun days! (Do you know what a ‘Spook’ is? I’m certain Alan does.)

Absolutely. Do you know what SOSUS is?
  • Absolutely. Do you know what SOSUS is?
    Yup and yup. How about USS Parche?
  • AlanS wrote:
    Yup and yup. How about USS Parche?

Ringing bells dimly. Been since the 80s that I was tracking what was going on in Pacfleet.
  • I've been on several Tauck vacations. Don't worry about what you are wearing. People on our trips dress appropriately. Even if they don't , no one cares. I wore a suite and tie for my entire career. I'm on an expensive vacation and I should worry about what I ware? When I brought a coat and tie I took them off immediately - no one cares. We are all drinking and enjoying each other. Really - Are you going to look at what people are waring ? don't worry - enjoy.
  • Claudia Sails & Cath and Steve -

May will be our first river cruise and our first time to anywhere outside North America. One of the reasons we chose Tauck was because they would handle everything and I don't have to worry about anything beyond getting to the airport and packing. I'm still nervous, but I know that things will be handled and am expecting to have a wonderful time.

Cath and Steve - Thank you for the pictures and the information. It makes me feel a lot better to see what to expect. I'm hoping weather in May will be nice.
  • I've been on several Tauck vacations. Don't worry about what you are wearing. People on our trips dress appropriately. Even if they don't , no one cares. I wore a suite and tie for my entire career. I'm on an expensive vacation and I should worry about what I ware? When I brought a coat and tie I took them off immediately - no one cares. We are all drinking and enjoying each other. Really - Are you going to look at what people are waring ? don't worry - enjoy.

Thank you! Intellectually I know that, but I'm a worrier. I also need to buy clothes, cause I've lost over 80 pounds and don't have much beyond jeans and shirts right now. I know we'll enjoy the company and the experiences.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file