Dachau Concentration Camp

My husband and I will be on this tour in September 2019. We will be arriving to Munich a few days early, to see and do as much as possible there, prior to the start of the tour. I understand that Dachau is on the first real day of the tour. I am wondering how long this local tour is ? I am very interested in history, and want to have a quality, in depth tour of Dachau. Most local tours are listed as being an all day visit, but Tauck’s doesn’t sound that way. Any opinions /personal experience would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• edited February 2019
    I can only tell you about the Tauck visit to Auswitz, which was pretty detailed and harrowing but done with great dignity by Tauck. I can’t tell you how long we spent there but it was not rushed. We saw everything even entering the gas chambers and seeing the furnaces. It was hard to get over and those who went were in a sombre mood for the rest of the day.There were some great books to buy and I did buy one. The tour director echoed how important it can be to visit, especially for our Jewish friends who feel they could never go to a camp, so that it is never ever forgotten.
  • I visited Dachau independently and I remember that taking 3 - 4 hours. Auschwitz-Birkenau is a larger area and takes more time.
  • We visited Dachau as part of the Romantic Germany tour. They had a local guide conduct the tour who was excellent. It was only an afternoon tour, but more than enough to see the history and horror of this place. I don't think you need to do its on your own, if it is part of the Tauck tour. They also, I believe, had a book we purchased which will allow you to dig deeper into the history of this camp. Believe me, after 3-4 hours, you will be exhausted (a lot of walking) and emotionally spent. Certainly worth seeing.
  • Sandman wrote:
    We visited Dachau as part of the Romantic Germany tour.
    Seems like there's some irony in that. I haven't been on that tour, but its name has always bothered me.
  • I agree; nothing "romantic" about the tour, but you do see major German cities. Guess it sounds better than a bus ride through Germany!
  • edited June 2019
    Sandman wrote:
    I agree; nothing "romantic" about the tour, but you do see major German cities. Guess it sounds better than a bus ride through Germany!

First, let me address "Romantic" Germany- the tour gets its name from the "Romantic Road". Look it up, I'm not B.S'ing but the term originated as a "theme route" devised by promotion-minded (German?) travel agents in the 1950s. The term was applied to a proposed tour route that covered a string of historic, quaint German cities from Würzburg to Füssen specifically in the states of Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg. Along the way are Rothenburg (on Tauck's Romantic Germany) and Neuschwanstein (not on Romantic Germany nor Ultimate Alps.) It is marked by brown signs.

tourist-attractions-in-germany-romantic-road.jpg

Now to Dachau- It was a great afternoon- 3 +/- hours- plenty of time to do it justice. It is not a large complex. But a big plus, if you are lucky enough to have Michael (last name?) as your local Munich and Dachau guide it will be a special visit. Michael is Tauck's go-to local guide in Munich. He is a highschool history teacher so knows his stuff, AND is able to deliver it in a special way. He was our Munich guide during Ultimate Alps in 2014 and again during Romantic Germany in 2017. We weren't sure about going to Dachau- we were concerned it would put a downer on this part of the trip, but as soon as we learned we would have Michael there too, we didn't hesitate for a second- he is that good.

Michael (on the right) in 2014 with two members of our group: (he has a rolling case filled with visual aids like these flags)

IMG_0423r.jpg

Michael with my wife and I at Dachau (we are all a bit older!). We are draped in the same two flags- Flag of Munich (capital of Bavaria) and Bavaria/Wittlesbach (blue and white):

IMG_7131r.jpg
  • Thanks everyone, your experiences did help my decision making.
  • We were on the Austria and Dolomites tour last year and were fortunate to have Michael as our local guide in Munich (see Alan's pictures with the flags). Michael is a high school history teacher in Munich and leaves you with a good understanding of the rise of the Nazi party in Munich during the city tour and then goes on to connect it to Dachau. Michael is the private guide that you will always remember and the history teacher that you probably never had. He took us to places in Munich that I would have not expected. We got to see where Chamberlain signed the appeasement agreement and where the Nazis were building their own series of monumental buildings with large parade grounds. There is no need for you to go to Dachau on your own. Spend the time walking around the city visiting churches (Frauenkirche, Assamkirche) and historical buildings. Marvel how the city was rebuilt after the destruction of WWII. Even watch surfboarders in the Englishergarten. Yes...surfboards on a river in a city far from the ocean!

• I’m on the September 1st Dolomites trip. Can’t wait !!! Not sure how to pack. Has anyone taken a Jewish History tour in Munich ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file