Suggestions for sights to see on early arrival day that are not on our Tauck itinerary

We are arriving a day early in Budapest for our Blue Danube River cruise that begins on September 2. What suggestions do you have for “must sees” in Budapest that are not included in our itinerary? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• It doesn't look like your tour includes Buda hill and there is plenty to see there. The Matthias church, fisherman's bastion for the views, several museums. I also didn't see the Great Market hall. Even if you don't want to buy paprika or souvenirs, etc the architecture is worth it. It was designed by Eiffel (as in the Eiffel tower). Our tour didn't include the Synagogue but we did it on our own and were glad we did. For some none walking fun you can ride the Tram 2 along the Danube and enjoy many landmarks. You might even spot your ship - likely docked near the Great Market.

• edited July 2019

Thanks, Claudia. I will research your suggestions for our free day and add them to our list of places to see.

• I completely concur with all of Claudia's suggestions. Behind the Great or Dohany Synagogue is the Holocaust Memorial. Its center piece is a metal weeping willow tree. Each of the leaves is inscribed with the name of one of the 600,00 Hungarian Jews killed by the Nazis. It is most impressive and was partially funded by American actor Tony Curtis. For a treat and a little spot to enjoy refreshments, visit the Gerbeaud pastry shop. The pastries are delicious, even if overpriced. The very old building's decor is lovely and worth seeing even if you don't buy a pastry.

• Thank you fir your recommendations. We will add the synagogue and Holocaust Memorial to our itinerary. They both sound like a must see. And the Gerbeaud Bakery sounds divine.

• There's also a small museum adjacent to the synagogue. It's part of the same building, but a separate entrance and upstairs. Very worthwhile, in my opinion.

• Thank you. Adding it to our list.

• milmil
    edited February 2022

Lsmiller hi.
    All the above are great- market is really nice, if you go up to the Buda district - the castle is great and the Cathedral is worth seeing, the fisherman Bastion is nice and beautiful views, you can cross the Lion Bridge by foot and hop on the Funicular. Also, visit on the Pest - side the St. Stephens Basilica, it's incredible and huge. - If you have time, go to the Gellert Thermal bath, it is super good- we went and spend 3 hours on the thermal bath pools inside -
    The Synagogue it's worth visiting too, the metal tree with the names of some victims is very moving.
    But the is one. that it's HORRIBLE!! very graphic and as you see the grayish/black building is very disturbing. It is nothing like the Jewish quarter in Prague, that quarter is a history museum- they show everything that happen, honoring the victims and also educating visitor about horrors of the Holocaust and what happen there.
    Enjoy your trip- that area is really pretty and interesting.

• milmil
    edited February 2022

Lsmiller the small museum next to the synagogue, it's not the same horrible place I'm talking about.
    Here is a picture of the one that is awful. it is call House of Terror or Terror Haza is a museum in Budapest, Hungary

the one at the synagogue is very interesting.

• edited February 2022

Regarding "House of Terror", I toured the Museum in 2007, not a Tauck Tour. The museum isn't for everyone, however, I found the displays and films to be quite fascinating and offered a unique perspective of what was going on during the War for the citizens of Hungary. It is not a museum devoted entirely to the Holocaust. I do remember, however, taking the elevator from the ground floor back to the main floor at the end of our visit and the elevator operator played a very convincing part of a Nazi era guard, or perhaps he wasn't acting. I was glad when the doors opened to see light of day. You can always go on line and see what the museum offers and Trip Advisor also gives a good selection of opinions. There were 4399 excellent reviews and 643 terrible.

• Take an English speaking tour of the Parliament building, unless it is included on the Tauck tour

• Agree with all things posted - I'd add the SHOES near the Parliament building, on the Danube - they are famous and they are metal casted shoes representing the Jews who got shot and fell into the Danube. All types of shoes are there - adults, children, babies.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file