Options

Camera Protection on Safari

Any suggestions as to how to keep your camera protected from the dust while riding in the jeeps? Trying to decide whether to bring the big camera or just the iPhone camera. Friend had a big camera destroyed by dust so having second thoughts about this...Comments, anyone????

Comments

• Options

When I went on this tour I took an Olympus 60x point and shoot. I had no issues. Several people took SLRs with interchangeable lenses. What they did for protection was to never change lenses during the jeep salaries. They kept their long lenses mounted on their SLR and then had a second point and shoot camera for any up close required shots. You'll want both abilities because during the course any any drive you will get both up close and distant shot opportunities. The attached is an example of an up close opportunity.

• Options

Agree. Choose your lens and stay with it. My new Cannon came out of our first safari looking like a veteran, but it still works fine. Now in Barcelona at El Palace Hotel. Exactly one hundred years old. And beautiful.

Perhaps the nicest place we have ever stayed. Home tomorrow.

• Options
    edited July 2019

Two camera bodies with different lens is a perfect strategy. We have two Sony e-mount rigs and it is good insurance in case one camera fails. I rarely use a protective UV/Sky filter to protect the lens however when in dusty conditions I always use one as the lens is constantly being cleaned of road dust.

• Options

There are very good bridge cameras available nowadays that offer a great zoom range with excellent picture quality. The Sony RX10 IV is “weather sealed” which should provide some level of dust protection. The zoom is 25-600 so you can get closeup and far out without changing lenses. Its about the size and weight of a small dslr. It’s not inexpensive. About $1600 new and $1300 used but we just returned from the Rhine Enchantment tour and it got up close and personal with the castles as we were under way. I bought mine used on eBay and saved $3-400 for a barely used unit. Figure another $100 or so for extra battery and protective filter. If you want to go in this direction you should get a unit with a 1” sensor for best quality pictures.

• Options

Cathy and Steve, when are you going? We meet the tour Aug 10 in Arusha

• Options

I just bought a Sony RX10 IV. Glad you give it high marks. I plan to use it on our upcoming Israel/Jordan tour. That said, it is significantly heavier than my Nikon Coolpix 610 point and shoot and it doesn't have the zoom power of the Nikon either. The Sony does, as BSP51 stated, still have significant zoom, but for the Kenya and Tanzania tour you might still want an option with greater zoom. Just a thought. Cameras are very much a personal preference sort of thing.

• Options

I think we will probably bring our older Canon Rebel T3i with the Tamron 35 -270mm lens and both of our iPhone XSMax’s,

• Options

Sam - I agree that the Nikon is most definitely lighter with a longer zoom than the Sony. However, I think you’ll find the Sony sensor and lens quality to be superior to the Nikon. Usually with the smaller sensors the photo quality at long zooms will not be great. I have a feeling you will fall in love with your Sony on your upcoming trip. That being said, there are many times I wish I had a 60x zoom 😀.

• Options

BSP51 - Based on the test shots I've been taking around the house the 1" sensor will definitely make a difference. On the Israel/Jordan tour I don't think the long zoom will be needed as much as on the safari trips or the Galapagos trip. The extra picture quality will likely be appreciated more. Thanks for your camera comments.

• Options

Cathyand Steve, this is our first African trip as well but only doing Tanzania and Kenya. Looking forward to it but so many details!
    Ordering extra batteries for the camera and a UV Filter to protect the lens.

• Options

Years ago, before K&T, I considered two bodies w/lenses, wide and telephoto, so I didn't need to swap, but decided it was too much to lug around and too much trouble. At the suggestion of someone here I got a Tamron 16-300 for my Canon, instead. It is all I use everywhere all the time, since then.

Also, remember all zooms are not the same- photos taken with optical, lens-based, zoom can be enlarged without much problem. When you start to rely on the camera's digital zoom you quickly start running into pixel problems when you try to enlarge and print the photos. You can't get something for nothing. If you are worried about dust, don't change lenses on a game drive and carry your camera in a soft-sack (or big sock :o ) Remember, you may not have much time to pull it out and shoot that once-in-a-lifetime shot.

• Options

A tag-team technique might work fine. Just remember- you don't want to limit your view of Africa (and the world) to just what you can see through a view finder. :)

• Options

My husband uses the Tamron lens and it suddenly made him a great photographer overnight.
    Cathy, remember no standing allowed on the Botswana tour. I’ve e been saying for years just hte same as Alan, look at the whole picture with your eyes now and again.

• Options

Three years ago we did the Botswana, Cape Town and Zambia tour. I rented a second camera body. I had a 150-600 on one and a 24-120 on the other. My husband would carry the camera I was not using. Our tour director was an accomplished photographer. Each day night I would ask her which lens for the next day. She always replied, the 150-600. I did use the other lens, but most of the shots were with the 150-600. I am doing the same thing later this summer when we do Kenya-Tanzania. Two lenses, two bodies. The shots taken with the long lens, got all the oohs and ahs. Whatever you do, have fun!

• Options

Back to the original question: I always bring along a microfiber towel to wipe off my equipment. You can also drape it over your camera when not shooting. I'm refering to the Terry cloth like towels that are about a foot square.

• Options

dspec01, when are you going later this summer?

• Options

We are on the August 31 trip. I am getting excited!

• Options

We found some old socks that are kinda stretchy so will go over the camera body too that we are bringing...light weight, don't take up much space.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file