Adaptor plugs for wall outlets

My wife and I are going on the September 13th tour this year. We're bringing our iPhones and two Canon DSLR cameras that will need recharging.
My Canon battery chargers will work with 220 volts, so we just need adapter plugs to fit the wall outlets.
We also have the Apple traveler kit for adapter plugs, but they are vague about whether the European 2 prong adapters will work with African outlets. They're also vague about whether a power adapter is needed to recharge iPhones as well.
Any recent travelers have answers for us?
We would also love to hear from fellow travelers in our upcoming safari too!

Comments

• Hi Chuck66,

The two pronged adapters were the only ones we needed for both countries. You don't need anything other than a plug adapter for your iphone or iPad. They switch voltage automatically.

Have lots of fun.
    Melanie
  • edited August 2017
    This has been beaten to death in the K&T forum over the years. What Melanie says, except I believe she meant two (round) pin adapter, but since you have multiple devices, take a travel power strip like these so you only need one adapter to charge all your devices at the same time:

41bVkm0v9aL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

51H4tRmNlDL._SX425_.jpg

Just remember, since Kenya and Tanzania power is 220 volts, once you plug into the adapter only plug 220V or dual voltage devices into the power strip. Most modern electronic devices- iPads, iPhones, tablets, etc. are dual voltage- it will say in small print somewhere on the power module.
  • Thankee, AlanS and Melanie!
  • AlanS - can you post pics of appropriate adapters for Kenya and Tanzania - I have Brookstone world pack (x2) with 5 types of adapters, would appreciate bringing only those necessary. Thanks. Leaving 10/1 for 10/5 K&T.

• miguelado, 5:55PM. AlanS - can you post pics of appropriate adapters for Kenya and Tanzania - I have Brookstone world pack (x2) with 5 types of adapters, would appreciate bringing only those necessary. Thanks. Leaving 10/1 for 10/5 K&T.

• Wow, great images Alan, where did you find these?

• Mr. Google. :)

• Is type G the one we need for K & T? The information from the tour director said 3 square prongs, so I guess this is what he meant

• I was told Type G (square) for Kenya and Type G or D (round) for Tanzania, so we're bringing a multi-prong adapter. When this adapter is in G mode, the top prong is plastic.I assume this won't interfere in carrying the electricity. Can anyone comment on that?

• The top prong is ground, similar to the round, third prong on US plugs. Generally not needed.

• Thank you.. it's so nice to have this forum to help with these questions

• You will see the round prongs In Tanzania. It’s a legacy remaining from Colonialism. I grew up in a home built in 1900 which had both types. Eventually the square pins became the norm for new construction and codes.

• edited August 2019

As BKMD says, the third prong is a ground on the K&T plugs an is not needed because most small chargers and power modules are "double insulated" and don't require a ground. The way to tell is whether the US plug on your device or adapter has a third (ground) pin. If it doesn't, the device is double insulated. Even if your device isn't double insulated and is like most full size laptop computers with a power supply having a grounded three prong US plug, it will still work with a two prong adapter. I do that all the time with my travel power strip (see photo above.)

One of the foreign outlets you may see on European travels will have three round holes in a row. Only the outer two holes have power, the center hole is a ground, so a two pin adapter will work here as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file