Water shoes

Going on the Galapagos and Peru trip in October. Anyone have suggestions for a good pair of water shoes?

Comments

• We took a cheap pair of water shoes or did bare feet on the wet landings depending on the terrain. then we changed into closed toe Teva type sandals or Merrill type full shoes. The ship has a shoe drying area.

• We did the same. I hate to walk in any kind of shoe or sandal with sand on my feet or between my toes. So, even the water shoes were uncomfortable but bearable until we were out of the water and found a spot to sit and change into shoes/sneakers and socks.

• Many on our trip believed the Keen closed toe water shoes were the best. We used Land's End shoes and they worked fine. They will tell you in advance whether it is a wet or dry landing. I did the same as British and Alan, that is wore the water shoes, dried my feet off and put real Merrill shoes on for the hiking.

• Interesting… do you need to change shoes once landed on the islands? I’d planned on wearing my Keen shoes in the Galapagos.

• We did what Alan suggests for wet landings. We packed our sneakers, socks, and a towel into a wet bag and wore water shoes for the landing. Once on shore we dried our feet and put on our sneakers and socks.

• Keens worked fine for us. I don't recommend bare feet landings as there were not that many on soft sand.

• Some landings may be truly “wet” where you step out of the panga into the water, but due to conditions, you may also have to exit the panga onto rough (and sharp) lava.

• We bought inexpensive water shoes at Walmart. They were perfect. Like Alan, once we landed, we dried off our feet and switched to our walking shoes. There were several times where our wet landing was up to our knees.

A word to the wise about walking sticks. Just like some people forget they have a backpack on and hit people with it, the same thing happens with walking sticks. People on our trip had a real tendency to carry them horizontally when they weren't using them. We also had a man that carried his tripod horizontally. When they would turn, someone was always getting hit. YIKES!

• Yes, same experiences with us on our first encounters with people with walking sticks also in Galapagos. We keep well away now. When we used sticks in Rwanda and somewhere else where they were given out, we tried to be very mindful of moving them forward as soon as they got to our level rather than letting them go behind us. People point with the sticks in their hands too, watch your eyes!

• edited February 2023

It can be quite exasperating and dangerous when people board planes wearing backpacks and are oblivious to those passengers already seated. On several occasions the flight crew has actually told passengers to remove their backpacks upon boarding and to carry them in front.

On our most recent tour, an individual wore his walking sticks as an appendage. He took them everywhere...into the bars, into the restaurants. I never saw him use them for balance. He was constantly pointing and waving one around, even while seated for meals!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file