When to go on the Kenya & Tanzania tour

My husband and I have decided that we want to go on the K&T tour, but haven't decided when is the best time to go. We would like to have some thoughts on this from those of you who have been on this tour. When did you go and why did you choose that month, day of the year?

Comments

• We didn't do K and T, but we just returned from the Great Migration which travels through the same areas. Our trip started in Arusha, Tanzania on July 21. Our weather was a perfect as could be, bright sunny blue skies, no rain, no flies or mosquitoes and plenty of animals. Our trip centered on following the great migration and river crossing and the herd of wildebeests and zebras follow the grass which follows the rain. Early morning departures were chilly and we needed fleece jackets, scarves and layers. By noon most of us had our jackets off and rarely we resorted to sleeveless tops. Some wore Bermuda shorts, most did not. We did not need to use our insect sprays and most did use sunscreen and hats.

• Most people like to avoid going in the two rainy seasons. I’ve been to these areas twice, July and August it because that is when we could go at the time because of work and other busy times here at home. We are going to K and T in December, so if the rains are as average, we may hit the end of the short rains season. Easier to spot animals in dry season but scenery prettier after the rains. If you want to look when most animals might be giving birth, that’s another consideration. And the Migration of course. Some people want to avoid the ‘crowds’ I’ve never experienced crowds on any of my five trips to Africa that includes, Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Botswana and Namibia. Tomorrow I’m going to a jungle for the weekend...New York, it’s always crowded when we go there, no best time to go 😀
    Unlike sherry’s Group, we keep ourselves covered whenever we go to Africa, we like to preserve our skin from the harsh sun, we’ve also experienced tsetse flies and mosquitoes so want to minimize the skin we have to spray.

• 13 - 25 June 2015. Perfect weather- sunny and pleasant, no rain*, no bugs. Treated clothes with Permethrin and used DEET anyway.

• high overcast in Amboseli, never saw the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro.
  • We chose mid-August in 2018. It is the dry season. We wanted to minimize mosquitoes and maximize game viewing.

• We also did the classic K&T tour in mid-August, but in 2015. We had no rain and no mosquitoes. We still were able to see the wildebeests and zebras crossing the Mara river. Dust on the game drives was the only issue. I tended to stand up a lot with my head out the top, even when driving. Having a bandana to place across our nose and mouth was very important. We actually purchased Survivor (the CBS TV show) buffs for this purpose and they worked great.

• Hi Mueni from NTWALI TIME TRAVEL SAFARIS.The best months to visit kenya and tanzania is from 15th June to Late september,thisthe time when the world's 8th wonder takes place WILDEEEST MIGRATION

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file