African Fabric

edited October 2019 in Kenya & Tanzania

I love the patterns of African fabrics and was able to buy some on my tour of Namibia. I was wondering if anyone can remember whether you saw any in the Craft/cultural center on recent visits to Arusha. I was last there in about 2007 and bought lots of things, I just can’t remember about fabric by the yard. I’d love to be able to find some on my tour in December. I’ve made pillows, drapes and a chair cover with the fabric I found last time for my Africa themed study.

Comments

• I am quite sure that I saw fabric rolls at the Arusha shopping/craft center when we were there last year.

• Wow. Thanks!

• Hi British - Lotusgirl is spot on. Also, we visited the Village weavers. I think it was while on our way to the Fairmont Mara Safari Club. They were women who were trying to get their lives back together and were making rugs and other items. We bought a pretty big size rug that had the design of an elephant in black with a tan background. It's beautiful and sits on the floor in one of our bedrooms. I'm sure you could work out something there with the woman in charge. I'd ask the TD.

• Thanks so much, that’s sounds lovely. Did you have it shipped? Somehow, I don’t think Mr B will stretch to a rug, I’ll have to butter him up!

• I think she is probably thinking about the weavers in Nanyuki, Kenya near the Mt. Kenya Safari Club.

• Ah Sealord, Virginia travelers is a guy, you were confusing me. Good to have you back on the forum. K and T in two months!

• Sealord is right about the location. We didn't have it shipped. Since we flew Business Class we had an extra baggage limit. Used the duffel bags for all dirty clothes and other items and used the suitcase for the rug and other souvenirs like our coffee bought in Arusha. Keep in mind, the weavers sell other much smaller items and they have beautiful things and it's a chance to help the women out.

• Yep, Sealord has been very quiet !

• Thanks for the info on the weavers. I was forgetting about the duffels and we are business class which will be wonderful compared to the number of times we have flown to or from Africa on coach class. I’ve hand carried some crazy things on planes. Those are the times when Mr B wants to disown me.
    I packed my bag for my China trip yesterday. With all the uncertainty about HK, I keep thinking about our Africa tour instead.

• Sorry. I did not know which of the Virginia Travelers was doing the writing. Our next ‘planned’ Tauck trip is Treasures of the Med Southbound next September. Newly refurbished Le Ponant carrying only 32 guests. In the meantime working on conditioning another new knee. I’m now bionic.

• Sealord - we are very interested in the 10 day Egypt trip in another year or so. We sent you some questions about air carriers etc. Can you take a look at them. Just go to the top of this page and there are 4 little icons. One is an inbox. If you click on it you will see my questions. This allows for traveler to traveler communications bypassing this general forum. Miss K&T yet ??? VA Travelers (Male)

• Sorry. I don”t see the icons nor the inbox.

• OK. I'll copy and paste it into the "Jewels of the Nile" trip under Egypt. The one wit the least amount of "posts".

• Sealord, 5:00PM. Sorry. I don”t see the icons nor the inbox.

The inbox is an envelope icon and at the very top of the page, to the right of your name.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file