Options

What to see in Amman

Has anyone visited places in Amman that aren't on the Taulk tour? We book 1 extra day and would like to get input on nice places to visit.

Comments

• Options

I'm not sure which tour you are on, but if it is the one which does not include Mt. Nebo and Madaba, I would highly recommend a tour to those sights. They are probably about an hour away from Amman, depending on where you are staying. Book a half day tour there. I found Mt. Nebo to be one of the most moving of the religious sites we visited.

• Options

Interesting comment. I found Mt Nebo to be an "eh" compared with everything else seen. There is an upscale mall across the street from the hotel. that's all I can add.

• Options
    edited January 2020

We arrived at the Amman hotel in the afternoon. Most folks were pretty exhausted by then and ready to have a nice dinner, pack, and head home very early the next morning. But as BKMD stated there is an upscale outdoor mall right across from the hotel. We wandered around it for awhile and that was it. What I found very interesting but grateful for was that we had to go through security at the mall entrance. I do not think any of our tour group stayed an extra day.

• Options

There are three excellent sites to see in Amman: The Citadel, the theatre and the museum. A well spent half a day.

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

We didn’t arrive early enough on J&E to do any pre tour excursions but Jerash which was part of the tour was awesome. After Treasures of the Aegean which included Ephesus, I did some reading and ran across an article about the top 10 or so Roman sites rarely visited. I found it amazing what the Roman Empire built all around the Mediterranean. I have seen some, but many I have never previously heard or read about!

• Options

Amman is incredible, I spend a full day with a private guide, visited all the above also the Blue Mosque , The Royal Automobile Museum, Rainbow St., The Jordan museum and a quick visit to a mall.- Love it!

• Options

Mil did you book that through hotel and did you have to do it prior to arrival??

• Options
    milmil
    edited October 2022

Mary , I booked on my own, prior to arrival and the cost was added to my bill.- only gave the guide his tip cash once the tour was done.
    Also visited the Blue Mosque and the Royal Automovil museum.

• Options

We arrive in Amman on April 5 and have a free day on April 6 before Jordan/Egypt Tour. Any names/contact info of Amman tour guides would be appreciated. Thank you.

• Options
    milmil
    edited March 2023

Antonio, you can see The Citadel, The Roman Amphitheatre, The Royal Auto Museum, The Jordan Museum, The Blue Mosque, if you're staying at the Kempinski do a Spa treatment, they are the best. Also do not miss a meal at the Lebanese rest., it is Amazing.
    The baptismal site at the Jordan river is always mentioned on every day tour sights, but when I went there wasn't anything- it looked abandoned.

• Options

My "Jerusalem, the Red Sea & Petra" tour ended in Amman at the Four Seasons. I stayed an extra day and booked a trip to the King Abdullah Mosque (the Blue Mosque) through the concierge. The guide was excellent, and offered to take me elsewhere, but on the Tauck tour, I had already seen the Citadel and the Roman Ampitheatre, and much of downtown. I opted for a hotel massage in the afternoon before leaving for the airport at 8:30 p.m. I really wanted to go to the Jordan Museum to see the copper scroll (from the Dead Sea Scrolls) but the museum was closed that day, which was a Tuesday. Be aware that Amman traffic is horrible, and the nicer hotels aren't really within walking distance of attractions.

• Options

Thank you for your suggestions and recommendations! We are really looking forward to this trip. Tony

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file