Have you rebooked any canceled trips for the Fall (2020)?

Had my early April Essence of Japan trip canceled. Considering rebooking for the Fall. Will the world be back to norml? Thoughts?

Comments

• Sorry, don’t have a crystal ball!

• You can always book it and if it doesn't go, you can go through the same routine all over again.

• Wish I knew what the fall was going to be like. We have a Sep Switzerland tour booked and airfare paid for. Too early to get the airline to make a change and all the 2021 Sep tours are small group which ours isn't. I'm afraid if we wait til July/Aug to resked we'll end up with a high summer tour date as the others are filing fast. Trying to just be calm and philosophical about it all - what will be will be.

• Claudia Sails I felt the same way until they canceled my April trip call Tauck they put my mind at ease. We don’t need any added stress these days

• edited March 2020

We just booked 'Legends of the American West' for Sept 21 to replace 'Venice, Florence, Rome' in May AND the 'Passion Play' we had booked for September. We decided to stay in the USA this year.

• I’m just reading on BBC NEWS that the Brits are talking six months before any restrictions are gradually lifted and the government has amazing plans of how to proceed through the Virus crisis. As soon as I have had my cup of tea, I’m ‘traveling’ around my neighborhood, my new definition of travel.🍷

• Six months seems a bit pessimistic. As I’m sure you know we are ‘sheltering’ until April 30. I would not be surprised if that date is adjusted, but I don’t think it will be six months. We don’t have enough police to answer that many ‘domestic’ calls.

• We pushed our Ireland Small Groups back to August 11 (from June 11). Hopefully, things will be better by then. Our business class airfare must be used by September (one year limit from when we booked). If we cancel the air, we face a $900 per ticket cancellation fee. Fingers crossed.

Next time I won't book the air so early.

• Ken, will insurance cover that amount? I guess we will find out ourselves when our June tour is cancelled.

• Cathyandsteve - We also have a September trip planned for New England. 3 couples from NJ in Corvettes. Hope we can do it but much more concerned for the health of the world. Stay safe and keep hope alive.

• Ken, will insurance cover that amount? I guess we will find out ourselves when our June tour is cancelled.

Hi British,
    We didn't take the Tauck insurance, but have cancellation insurance on our credit card. However, my understanding is that most travel insurance, unless you bought the expensive "cancel for any reason" policy, won't cover a pandemic. My guess is that I will have to eat the cancellation fees, but I will certainly explore that if need be.

Compared to the paper losses on my investment portfolio, the cost of airfare cancellation is chump change.

This too will pass. Stay safe!

• edited March 2020

Ken from Vegas
    2:11PM

. . . . . Compared to the paper losses on my investment portfolio, the cost of airfare cancellation is chump change.

Got that right! Unfortunately, a number of my dividends have taken a painfully big hit, too!!! Unless they recover, I won't likely be traveling much after 2021. :'(

• Something my husband noted wrt investments is a provision in the legislation signed last week on RMDs. None required for 2020. So glad we don't depend on our investments to pay bills.

• I’m sure I am not alone in this, but our investments accounts have been a major source of funding for our Tauck trips. Up until a few weeks ago our investments were doing well. Now, not so much. When the markets tank they usually take the elevator down and the recovery goes via the stairs, so it may be a while until we are back to where we were.

We were booked on an April departure for Classic Italy Small Groups and were probably one of the earliest groups to get cancelled. This was before the Covid-19 issue escalated in the US to where it is today. At the time it was cancelled, we contemplated rebooking to a later date or just moving our money to another Tauck trip but decided to hold off for a while. Our plans earlier in the year were to do two Tauck trips this year. Right now it is Zero. We are currently in a wait and see holding pattern for any Tauck trips this year. We have two non Tauck trips (Rhine River Cruise in June and France barge trip in August) both of which I have doubts about. The river cruise is by a UK company and most of the people will be Brits. They are advising that it will probably be June before things are somewhat normal in the UK.

Just thought I would add my 2 cents or .018 Euro or .016 Pound Sterling to all this. It looks like 2020 may not be the greatest year for travel. :(

• edited March 2020

The first of our next 3 booked trips is in December, the other two are in Jan and May 2021. The December balance is minimal, Jan is a re-sched of this month's cancelled Jordan & Egypt, so is completely paid for, but we still need to pay for flights and the balance for the May trip. We will probably be able to do the last one, but if our dividends take another dive, who knows. Since we will not be getting dividends at all for a quarter or more, I might just move more stock from our stock IRA to brokerage account where it might eventually provide spendable income some day. It is not doing anything for us in either place right now and at their rock-bottom valuation, the taxes on an extra distribution will likely be offset by the (hopefully) temporary loss of dividend income. . . . or so my current thinking goes. Besides, it is only our "play" money- so if we don't get any, we don't play. Now, if our other "living" income goes away, all of us are in really big trouble, since it all comes from Uncle Sam one way or another.

• I just rebooked Essence of Japan this morning for late Oct. Also have ESW in Sept. We'll see what happens.
    This is the first time I thought about taking insurance, but as usual declined. Everyone knows it's a sucker's bet :)

• We have K-T booked for mid-August with a 2-day pre-trip stay in Amsterdam. We booked our air thru Tauck and took their insurance. Not sure what will happen, but for now we are in wait and see mode. Worst case, we’ll rebook for next year. We also have 2 trips booked for 2021 (May and October) but we are not even thinking about those yet.

• Yes, here we are, all lamenting about the multi-thousand-dollar trips that have been cancelled or delayed, etc., and the loss of dividend income, etc.,etc, while some folks don't have enough money to pay the rent, put food on the table, or go to a local campground for a few days, even if it weren't closed. Ah, well.

• Sadly, I doubt that anyone will be doing leisure travel (especially international leisure travel) again until there is a widely implement vaccine. I think most borders will stay tightly controlled. A caveat is that if science proves that surviving the virus absolutely gives immunity for a proven period of time, then leisure travel may open up a little for those that can provide certain medical proof they have immunity.

• I think you could be right!

• Well, I’ve been wrong about many things with this virus ... so pay little attention. I thought California was nuts when they immediately did a lockdown. But my ‘favorite’ people were correct. CA has a much lower “rate” of infection and mortality than other places. We have ‘many’ cases, but we’ve got a large number of people. In Marin County where we live we have had 94 cases and 4 deaths. When the rate of infection drops, there will be a point where ‘they’ will have to try to balance the virus versus destroying the world economy, which could be much worse than the virus.

• I think this one is different. It’s going to take a lot longer. I think it will be months before we are even allowed to leave the country or people be let in. Are any of you going to chance taking a tour in June? Will you be able to find a flight? I’m still not sure what I would do, I’m usually quite bold, flying straight after 9/11, still going to Africa when everyone was canceling because of Ebola and still going on a trip last month from which we were evacuated. What I was most worried about before we got home was giving my children the extra stress of waiting for us to be home. They know we like to travel, as they do when they can, but this was kinda different.
    We are in a stay at home state and yet even from my own front door I see the people opposite having different Cars appear, stay overnight, then disappear again. When we went for a walk today....we rarely see anyone on this walk even before Covid 19, the local roadway had almost regular traffic for that time of day. People are still going about their business. Yesterday, our township put out an emergency phone call and email, suggesting it was even dangerous to go out and buy food. Six people have died in our little area.

• Agree with British on this. This pandemic is very different. Before International travel occurs again, IMHO, the countries involved will have to be completely purged of the virus. We have a Tauck Classic Italy Small Group tour scheduled for October 4th, and I give it about a 20% chance of happening. Will take the good advice from Alan S and British and hold off canceling until Tauck makes a decision in order to recoup the deposit, but I made my own flight and pretour activities already and will have to see about any reimbursements on these.

• If you booked the tour with Tauck, you don’t have to pay the tour so early with the new rules, unless it’s different with ship based vacations. The land tours do not have to be paid up until 30 days before at the moment. South America will not reach its peak for a while, so you may not be able to fly there. I know you are so looking forward to that tour. And of course there is that possibly that Trump may be on his way out by then.

• unfortunately, as we all get older, some of these trips are no longer possible. We will have to be satisfied with reading about someone else’s adventure. Everyone stay safe

• British
    March 31
    We are in a stay at home state and yet even from my own front door I see the people opposite having different Cars appear, stay overnight, then disappear again. When we went for a walk today....we rarely see anyone on this walk even before Covid 19, the local roadway had almost regular traffic for that time of day. People are still going about their business. Yesterday, our township put out an emergency phone call and email, suggesting it was even dangerous to go out and buy food. Six people have died in our little area.

All the scientific models and those in the know in the medical community are estimating a marked surge in cases these next two weeks peaking around Easter. It is becoming advised, that even "essential" travel for basic needs will be dangerous. If you are sensible, stock up now for for the immediate 2-3 weeks and stay home. I'm essential so I'm my families greatest risk.

• cathyandsteve
    March 31

. . . . Trump will push to get everything back to "normal" as quickly as he can....I have no doubt.

While surprisingly not specifically prohibited in the Tauck Travel Forum Rules and Guidelines, please refrain from discussing politics on this forum. There are many who may not share your opinion of our country's current leadership.

• Like everybody else traveling to Europe in April, our classic Italy was cancelled and I appreciate that. We started booking the same trip for next April but had to pause as one wonders if Italy which is decimated and their tourist business destroyed will be back on their feet by next April. No one knows, I hope so, but I think we will wait it was a lot of hassle dealing with the airlines.

• Alan S- Thanks so much for your comment regarding politics.

• Sorry, that should have been Cathy and Steve who made the good comment.