National Parks

I just received my online copy of the Tauck Compass and it’s all about the National Parks. I’m thinking Tauck May focus on USA travel next year, it’s where they started. I’ve taken quite a few of them and three Canadian tours. Maybe time to repeat some. If they bring back the Colorado tour I’d do that again. Would like to do Yosemite, not been there for a long time, would like to experience the Tauck version

Comments

• edited July 2020

Had the same thought especially with the invite to the Friday event on the parks. Not a bad idea.

• We've done 2, Majestic Colorado and Canyonlands. We had the Legends of the American West booked for Sept 20, but it canceled. Hope to rebook one day.

• ** British ** If they bring back the Colorado tour I’d do that again.

Come on out here British and I'll be your TD, as long as you keep your clothes on :)

• I agree. I signed up for Friday's National Parks presentation and have been considering doing the national park tours with my grand nephews and nieces. Yellowstone in the Winter and the Glacier National Park with the Fairmont Hotels.

• We've taken our RV to both parks and had a great visit. Would love Yellowstone in the winter, though was disappointed when I heard the Old Faithful Lodge wasn't where you stay. Had romanticized about sitting there looking out at the geysers and snow sipping a hot drink. Maybe someday.

• Another reality meets romanticized. Darn.

• We lucked out camping. Had a lousy spot the first couple of nights with zero privacy. Then when we asked to stay longer they said we had to move. Much better spot where at least one side of our rig was facing forest. Was in the midst of elk mating season and had them walking thru and calling regularly. Stayed a week.

• Nice photos cathyandsteve. The room is ok in my book. Not exactly the Intercontinental but location location. Went looking for our photos from 2012 when we went but can't find. Probably stored on some disc. I know we took plenty as the trip included Teton and
    Glacier.

This is our mobile "hotel" room for most US trips.

And if we can't get enough views, here's our deck at home with our pet Roadrunner

• Beep Beep

• OFI was/is closed in winter so we stayed in the Old Faithful Snow Lodge. It had just undergone a total rehab and was very nice when we stayed there last winter.

• We once made an unplanned stop at the Grand Canyon and managed to get a room at Yavapai West. Kind of an mid century modern one story motel. Nothing fancy but we didn't have reservations so couldn't complain. Would have loved one of the lodges with canyon views.

• We stayed at the Old Faithful inn with Tauck two years ago and it was fine, indeed much better than other National Park properties we have stayed in with Tauck in the past. We knew they were going to be basic but the best to be so near all main park attractions which were the most important thing to us. When we traveled independently to the Grand Canyon about 25 years ago, we could not get rooms in the Park and stayed instead a a beautiful hotel but it was a long drive in, and as much of the attraction of the Canyon is all the different times of day, especially dawn and sunset, to see how the different lighting affects the colors, it’s location location location.

• Claudia, in England we had a huge what is called trailer tent, I think it’s called something else in the US. A trailer that opens out to two large double beds off the ground, you zip a huge tent to the front of that. The back of the trailer separated off and was a kitchen, stove and sink. As well as vacations in England and Wales each summer we travelled on the overnight ferry over to France, no tunnel in those days. We explored all but the very southern riviera over the years. Our favorite part was the Loire Valley and we would always stop there for a few days at the end of our stay and it was a good location to be able to get the return ferry. It was excellent for our young children at the time, they could open the tent door each morning and play with children primarily from France Holland and Germany before we set off to explore chateaux and little villages. We biked down country lanes by fields of sunflowers or lavender. We all remember those trips with great affection.

• British, you're describing what we'd call a tent camper - very popular with those starting out camping. Inexpensive, easy to tow and easy to find a camping spot that fits. My brother in law built theirs and my sister sewed the tent. I grew up camping mostly in southern NM (lived is west Texas). Our family just had an old army surplus tent that slept 5. As the youngest and 5th member, I usually got sent to sleep in the back seat of the car. Most meals were cooked on the fire. We kids loved roaming around, climbing things, exploring. When we retired we bought a used trailer - discovered we like camping but it was too small. Bought a big 5th wheel - very posh if we wanted to live in it like a snow bird. Finally settled on our Airstream. Just the right size and the right amenities. Now our idea of roughing it is drinking wine from a plastic cup.