Trouble with Tauck Air?

I'm curious if anyone else has had problems dealing with Tauck's air department? I was on the phone with them yesterday and again today. After more than 20 minutes on hold with Mel in that department, I finally announced that I'd book my own airfare for a trip to Canadian Rockies in August 2021. This decision may be at some risk, but she obviously was struggling. My husband and I decided to arrive one day before our "gift of travel" date. She quoted me a price of $583 for an additional night at the Fairmont in Vancouver. I can get the room for $337.00.

Comments

• edited October 2020

GatorMom - I believe it is typical that you can find cheaper prices for hotels and airfare than that provided by Tauck if you are willing to spend the time to do the research and assume the risks.

• I once inquired about an extra hotel night in additional to the Gift of Time. Taucks quote was about 30% higher than what I could do on my own.

• Have you had to change rooms once the tour starts?

• MCD - Can't answer as this was on one of my cancelled trips this year

• Generally speaking, if you book the same class of room as is included in the Tauck tour, you should not have to change rooms.

• Generally speaking, if you book the same class of room as is included in the Tauck tour, you should not have to change rooms.

I doubt you'd be guaranteed to keep the same room since it would be two different reservations. For example, what if the Tauck rooms weren't ready when you first arrived, then you'd be put into a room that could be different than the Tauck rooms (even if they are the same class - which might to be hard to insure since the Tauck room might have some commercial or bulk designation that the room you book individually wouldn't). That said, it's likely that the hotel would work with you and allow you to remain in the same room (especially if it has lesser amenities than the Tauck room might have).

Insuring the same room, again likely gets down to being willing to spend the time and perhaps have some discussions with hotel management, that wouldn't be required if booked via Tauck. So as usual it's a cost/ease vs time/money trade off.

• edited October 2020

In a slightly different situation, we booked a pre-stay thru Tauck at the Sheraton in Edinburgh at the start of E,S,W. Before the trip I checked with the concierge to see if it was possible- when we arrived at the Sheraton, we switched to a "castle-view room" for a few more Pounds per night (the Tauck rooms were not castle-view). We remained in that room for the duration of our stay in Edinburgh.

• edited October 2020

Tauck room prices always include breakfast. You may also want to check that Tauck will provide you with the free airport Transport if you book the room yourself prior to your gift of time stay. I have known of people having to change rooms. You are also much more likely to get an early check in because Tauck have so much clout.
    We once had to book a room in a different hotel independently because the Tauck hotel was not available the night before, there was a wedding. Because the hotel we found was also the hotel used for the last night of the tour, Tauck were willing to Pick us up from the airport. They also arranged free transport from one hotel to the other.

• British - It's likely that Tauck would provide the free airport pickup and delivery to the tour's designated hotel even if you booked extra days on your own since all you provide Tauck for the airport pickup convenience is time, date, airlines, flight number, arrival time (no mention about whether you have a hotel reservation and whether that reservation was done on your own or by Tauck). Now if you're talking about a different hotel, then it's likely some discussions with Tauck would be required to see what they will and won't cover.

• I did not say it was guaranteed; I said "Generally speaking....". Hotels understand what a dissatisfier it would be to have a guest change rooms, so I think they would try to avoid that if at all possible - particularly if the guest in question is part of a Tauck group. That said, it would be a good idea to contact the hotel in advance and explain the circumstances of your reservation(s) in order to improve your chances of staying in the same room. That has been my experience when I have booked an additional room on my own.

• See your point, we did have to negotiate that time and there were four of us. Of course, the chances of getting to Canada next August, humm! Well you know how pessimistic I am!

• Tauck's official policy is they will provide airport transport within 3 days of the start or end of the trip within the same city (not necessarily the tauck hotel). My group experienced this in Buenos Aires, staying several days longer in a different part of the city. We just told the TD where we'd be and when we needed airport transfer.

• I can't speak to Tauck;s air as I always use miles and book my own flights. However, in cases where I may want to stay an extra night that isn't covered by the Gift of Time, I usually end up at the Tauck hotel because if they book it for you, it includes gratuities for the bell staff and housekeeping (or at least it has the few times I've done it) as well as breakfast. Sometimes the convenience is worth it. I guess it would depend on how much the total difference is.

• I've always had Tauck book my extra nights, too -- just for the convenience. But I've learned a lot from the experience of others on this forum, and look forward to learning more.

• I’ve done it both ways. When I book on my own I call the hotel to insure I won’t have to move and that it is the same category of room. That being said, I ‘travelled’ for a living, and I have ‘refused’ rooms both at work and with Tauck. They have always provided a room that we were happy with. I don’t take rooms next to the ice machine nor the elevator. (;-)

• milmil
    edited November 2020

Hello, I used to travel always on my own, I did it for 29 years.. and always took care of the logistic as well , till one day ... I said to myself, "Enough! " I work too hard , it is time to get pamper...so I went to Tauck ( I discover Tauck as I was doing my homework, I even recommended them to friends... it was just a feeling .. I knew they were A+ , so I booked my first trip (Vietnam) , 8 trips later ... I have no complains, they always treat me like a queen, they take care of everything , I as an independent female traveler feel always safe and they are always right on top of any suggestion. Their quality of service is excellent , so why change?
    I do have them take care of my pre/ post nights since I always stay some extra days and I have always stayed in the same rooms. The only thing I do, is my air ... just because I like certain airlines, direct flights, specific routes and I have also gotten better $$.

• Mil, Tauck will book any route you want for you, so sometimes you may have to pay up front. In the current situation we are asking Tauck to book our air.

• Hi British
    Yes, I know Tauck would do it, but for me it's also part of the excitement when going on Vac. and I have gotten great prices... I already have my air for 2021, but maybe in the future I'll give everything to them.
    :))

• I almost always booked my own air and Tauck always picked us up at the airport and took us to the Tauck hotel ( except one time in Hawaii when it was a holiday and there was missed communication. They came a few hours late and Ed ( the tour director was devastated). But on the one trip to Tanzania/Kenya We had Tauck book us. We din't want to pay months in advance. Tauck picked KLM thru Amsterdam round-trip which was fine. Except on the way home they switched us at the last minute to Air Kenya. Terrible. Pieces of the the airplane was falling off into the aisle ! And I didn't get my little porcelain houses on the way home. So beware that they can do that to you.