anyone think tours will be running by June 2021?

Comments

• edited November 2020

No, too early, maybe if by a miracle you get one shot by then, never would we have gotten the second. Unless of course you are a very important person.

• I'm hoping. From what I've seen, the vaccine should be available to all high risk people (seniors like me) before April. This would mean a second shot 30 days later and time to gain full immunity before June. This may be optimistic (stuff happens), but I'm still hoping. May be hard for the general population to get fully vaccinated by then.

I would think that domestic trips are likely to be the first to operate.

• I am planning on going on our river cruise on the Seine in mid August. I think you could have a good chance of traveling stateside in June. Let’s all stay safe now and keep our fingers crossed.

• Don't think I'd book a cruise until the on board precautions are no longer so stringent. Good luck Choc.

• My Magic 8 ball ball gives it a 20% chance with restrictions.

• My husband spent most of his working life dealing with the FDA, I’m watching the news right now and it’s saying the first vaccines will be given December 10th, but the advisory committee is not even meeting until that date.

• kfn.....it doesn’t matter how isolated you think an area you may be going to is, the people you are going with will have come from all over.
    I’m interested to see how Tauck will handle the ‘have you been vaccinated?’ question, as clearly there will be only a small number of people vaccinated by mid 2021, or maybe some people might have had one of the two required. If only those over 65 can have access early on, that cuts out younger Tauck travelers and of course, I don’t know how they will handle the Bridges tours since there has been no trials on under twelve year olds and probably won’t be for some time. I’m not being negative here, I’m just looking at the true reality. People are still not wearing masks correctly, even dear Joe Biden continuously plays with his mask on camera, someone should give him a tutorial.

• We just got back from Yosemite including drinks at the Ahwahnee where Tauck stays. It is a low covid area, but our governor banned indoor dining on the last night of our stay. We still had a great five days there staying at the Evergreen Lodge which is near Hetch Hetchy. So the short answer, Yosemite is open and available now. Eating outside in 40 degree temps was still pleasant as they had sufficient heaters available.

• Got my 2021 Tauck calendar today. Putting my mark in for our August trip in pencil.

• With every vaccine announcement I get more optimistic about 2021. Just have to get thru the winter.

• Rick Steves just sent out a mass email stating they won't resume GROUP tours till at least August 2021 and even that is pending.

• I watch to see when cruise operators are selling cruises. It looks like Windstar is planning on resuming operations around the first of April. “Old” people ... like us ... might have a reasonable expectation of being vaccinated by then, and Windstar is not ‘Disney’, so they may be telegraphing reasonable expectations.

• Sealord, you are not going to get the two doses of vaccine by April

• Travel in 2021 is a pipe-dream.

• cathyandsteve
    Look at the millions of folks traveling RIGHT now. The airports are FULL.

They are all selfish fools.

Hope your plans work out well for you, Cathy.

• Having an opinion does not make one selfish or a fool, perhaps you should temper your insults.

• We all just have opinions. I don’t think we need to be hurtful.
    I must admit, I’m glad I am no longer a practicing nurse, my family would be terrified for me. My husband saw his dr. for his shoulder injury this week. The dr.told him he was so frightened of the virus that he self isolated for the first four months while he was seeing patients to protect his family until it became clearer that it was an air born disease.

• Calaf
    Having an opinion does not make one selfish or a fool, perhaps you should temper your insults.

Science is not an opinion.

• edited November 2020

Actually, today it is.

• I feel lucky as not 65 yrs old but have my two COVID shots. So I’m hoping for June travel 2021:)

• Flip a coin. I think there will be some touring and cruising in June. Some countries, including most of the EU and Canada, are doing poorly. We have given 95 million people at least one shot. At that rate we could have around 200 million in June, so U.S. travel and tours should certainly be up and running with proper protocols. Canada, the EU, Brazil, and many other places have a ‘head’ problem that may make touring a ‘liability’ problem until later in the year. I am hoping for a K&T in late June. K looks okay, T is a bit of a problem. Maybe they will change the itinerary to do it all in Kenya. I personally like the Kenya part of the trip better anyway.

• I'm crossing my fingers for Sept. Jordan & Egypt.- let's keep positive!!!!!!!!

• Several days ago Kenya imposed significant new restrictions, excerpt from Embassy STEP Alert system below:

Government of Kenya Announces New Travel Restrictions, COVID-19 Rates Rapidly Increasing
    Event: COVID-19 Rates Rapidly Increasing; New Restrictions Announced

The CDC has issued a Level 4 Travel Notice for Kenya. Community transmission of the coronavirus in Kenya is widespread and accelerating rapidly. Public and private hospitals in Nairobi report that their COVID-19 bedspace is filling up. Life-saving oxygen may be difficult to secure.

On March 26th President Kenyatta announced further restrictions in response to the worsening of the COVID-19 pandemic. Restrictions are focused on five counties declared “disease infected areas” – specifically Nairobi, Kajiado, Machakos, Kiambu and Nakuru counties (the “five counties”).

These restrictions include the following
    · Movement by road, air, and rail into and out of the five counties is suspended effective midnight March 26, 2021. Cessation of Movement is in and out of the 5 counties (Nairobi, Nakuru, Kiambu, Machakos, and Kajiado) as One Zoned Area. You can therefore move freely within the five counties. You will not however be able to leave and enter the One Zoned Area
    · Public gatherings and in-person meetings in the five counties are suspended until further notice;
    · International travel continues under existing guidelines;
    · The curfew in the five counties is extended from 8pm to 4 am, stating at midnight on March 26, 2021. Other counties will maintain the existing curfew of 10 pm to 4 am;
    · Curfew exemption passes are to be reviewed and until then all existing passes are revoked;
    · All physical and worship gatherings are suspended until further notice in the five counties. In other counties the existing rule that places of worship may only use one-third of their capacity remains in effect;
    · In-person learning at all education institutions through the entire country are suspended, except for those sitting for examinations;
    · In-person meetings within government are restricted;
    · Sporting and recreational activities are suspended;
    · Bars are closed in the five counties;
    · Hospitals must restrict visitors to two individuals per patient;
    · All funerals must be held within 72 hours after the confirmation of death, and no more than 50 people may attend a funeral;
    · Weddings may have no more than 30 people attending;
    · Restaurants are closed for dining and may provide only take away meals in the five counties, and they may not serve alcohol. In other counties, existing restrictions remain in place, with strict enforcement of guidelines; and
    · the prohibition on political gatherings has been extended;

In this third wave of COVID-19, the number of cases per day and the PCR positivity rate already exceed the high peaks of previous waves. Nairobi continues to lead the surge in new cases. Other counties with high COVID-19 rates include Machakos, Kiambu, Nakuru, and Tharaka Nithi.

The U.S. Embassy is unable to secure a bed or other medical care for U.S. citizens at private or public hospitals, nor can it provide medical care for private citizens. If you must travel to Kenya at this time, you should have travel insurance that includes coverage for an air ambulance evacuation in the event you have symptomatic COVID-19. You cannot travel on a commercial airline out of Kenya if you are acutely ill with COVID-19. If you are already in Kenya, maintain strict COVID-19 mitigation measures, such as frequent hand washing, social distancing in public, avoiding large crowds of any kind, and mask wearing in public places.

Actions to Take:
    · Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on the disease.
    · Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Kenya.
    · Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information regarding foreign countries’ quarantine requirements and other global impacts.
    · Have a plan to depart from Kenya that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
    · Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
    · Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions affecting travel to the United States.

• Well I guess “K” is now a problem also.

• We’ve already re-scheduled our August 2021 K&T tour to August 2022. If we are able to go in 2022, it will have been 5 years since our initial booking!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file